Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Best Films of the 21st Century

[ QUOTE ]
And look at Crouching Tiger - when that came out, it was revolutionary, but people who are seeing it for the first time now aren't impressed because they've seen knock-offs hundreds of times in the last couple years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I finally saw this the other night. Well, most of it. The first try I fell asleep. The 2nd try I was just bored. I think it's big claim to fame was it was the 1st big crossover flick from asia. I think many of them since have been alot better both story-wise and visually.

'course, none of them beats the visual impact or story of Mems of a Geish, imo.

b
Old 08-28-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My whatever in no order would be

City of God
American Pyscho
Memento
Enternal Sunshine
Requiem
Oldboy
Colleteral

[/ QUOTE ] Vanilla Sky
dude, no.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking both Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead might make more lists like this in about five years.

[/ QUOTE ]

spoofs almost never make lists like these, so i'd say no
Old 08-28-2007, 02:31 PM

Has anyone seen The Science of Sleep? I haven't seen it yet but it looks pretty interesting, is it top-10 worthy?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone seen The Science of Sleep? I haven't seen it yet but it looks pretty interesting, is it top-10 worthy?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, but it's certainly worth seeing. i enjoy it a great deal.

review
Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

City of God
American Pyscho
Memento
Enternal Sunshine
Requiem
Oldboy
Colleteral

[/ QUOTE ] Vanilla Sky
dude, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Underrated...I also like movies that movie buffs probably wouldnt like.

Id put Kill Bill and The Prestige in there 2....
Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

City of God
American Pyscho
Memento
Enternal Sunshine
Requiem
Oldboy
Colleteral

[/ QUOTE ] Vanilla Sky
dude, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Underrated...

[/ QUOTE ]

also considered inferior to the original, Abre los ojos (1997), by pretty much everyone
Old 08-28-2007, 05:56 PM

Good thread. I've been lurking and reading on 2+2 for a while, but being a film buff and reading this thread finally got me to register and post.

The ten movies that stood out to me that have already been mentioned are Hotel Rwanda, Training Day, City of God, Mystic River, United 93, Memento, The Machinist, and The Pianist.

There are also a couple films mentioned that I liked but probably wouldn't include on any list. The first, Downfall, is a film that was well done but isn't included for one reason, which is that since I have seen the movie, I haven't had any urge to go back to it. I can't particularly explain why. It's probably no fault to the film itself, but rather to the subject matter, although I can't really say that's it, because United 93 is in the same light (portaying a national tragedy using a bird's eye view from the inside, where it actually happened) and I've seen the latter many times. The Proposition is another film that I thought was well done, but when it ended I felt unsatisfied, not because the writing or the directing or the cinematography or the acting wasn't up to the par (all of it was), but because I felt like the story was somewhat unfulfilled. I enjoyed every second of the movie, don't get me wrong, in fact I thought that most most of it was perfect, but when it ended, I felt like, "that's it?" I wanted more, although I'm not exactly sure what I wanted more of. I felt same, although to a smaller degree, about Million Dollar Baby.

Two films that I haven't seen but I suspect would be up there amongst the best is Bus 174, which I read is extremely powerful, and then, on a lighter note, Superbad, which belongs to a genre I wouldn't normally include when talking about "great" films, but in this case the movie looks that funny.

Finally, there are two movies which I don't think have been mentioned yet. The first is Spike Lee's 25th Hour. I loved the characters, the dialogue, and most all of the acting, and I thought the ending with the father's speech on 'what could have been' was perfect. The other movie is one I'm surprised I haven't seen mentioned so far, and that film is The Constant Gardner. This is one of those rare films that's deeply political and yet you don't particularly have to be a fan of political thrillers to enjoy. I loved the closing shot in which you can't even hear the sound of the gun going off but instead you just see the flock of birds gliding through the air. I left the theater deeply moved, probably moreso than any other movie I've seen so far in this short century.

One movie that is flawed and is viewed by me on one light as mediocre is Man on Fire, and yet for some reason I like it. I'd never call it great, but something about it appeals to me. Take a film like Downfall, which is a much better movie on every level, including importance and scope, and yet inexplicably I like Man on Fire better. I guess what this illustrates is that all it really comes down to, a lot of times, is personal taste, although we can all agree that a film like Bratz probably isn't going to be praised on this board any time soon.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:16 PM

great post! and welcome...I also love Man on Fire and The Constant Gardener
Old 08-28-2007, 06:20 PM

Another vote for About a Boy. Very underrated.

I also nominate Bully, directed by Larry Clark. Mind-blowing and disturbing movie about a group of kids getting caught up with an idea that spins out of control like a tornado. I love the pace of this film and how it gradually picks up steam.