Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: 9mm vs. .45 ACP

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of note some States require that to use deadly force you have to announce that you are armed and lock yourself in a room, and the intruder has to be trying to get to you for self defense to be considered. That is an extreme, but it does still exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

What states? Links? I think you're seriously mistaken here. The person does not have the duty to retreat if their house has been unlawfully entered. "Lock yourself in a room"? Lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Many, NY is the example that jumps to mind.

You seem to assume that Castle Doctrine exists in every state. You are of course wrong.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

No I was not assuming that every state has a Castle Doctrine, I was saying that the duty to retreat doesn't go far as the one poster said when he claimed you'd have to go lock yourself in the bathroom. You are of course a douche bag.

edit:wait I see what I put in my other post. I shouldn't have said that. I retract my previous posts' statement and submit this one as my opinion. The "LOL" still stands, however, because thinking you have to announce you have a weapon and lock yourself in a room is idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand what strawman you have constructed.

J
Old 08-08-2007, 03:13 PM

Huh, I said I made a dumb blanket statement that said that you're free to use deadly force in the event of an unlawful intruder. Greyhawke said in a previous post [ QUOTE ]
Of note some States require that to use deadly force you have to announce that you are armed and lock yourself in a room, and the intruder has to be trying to get to you for self defense to be considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I haven't constructed anything other than the precise situation he gave me. The duty to retreat,as Focused said is based on a readily available and safe avenue of retreat, it doesn't require the person in the house to go to extreme lengths to escape confronting the intruder. The situation presented by Greyhawke seemed to be an extreme situation
Old 08-08-2007, 03:18 PM

Where do you live that you need a gun for self defense?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
America.

My rule is don't shoot anybody unless you absolutely have to. Keeps me prettty safe.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone posted a video recently that addressed this. It's not about "bad neighborhoods". It's about being prepared for the worst at all times. I don't really ever want to use my gun, but I don't want to be without it in the event that I need it to protect myself and my family.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:34 PM

It's about both. Many of the people I know who are against gun control live in great neighborhoods, with regular private patrols and well-staffed police departments too. As well, they can afford security systems in their homes, and they often have nannies and such around so that their homes are rarely unwatched. For those people to say the security concerns of others are overblown is a version of "let them eat cake."
Old 08-08-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello (still have 4 more months left in the year)

And to further illustrate: [image][/image]
the red says "Bad Part of DC"

Notice the border shared with the highest crime areas of DC? I have a large number of stories involving shady stuff that happens around here, some are pretty interesting.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:40 PM

What state you in Ron? You going for a concealed carry?

Without more info I'd say go with a Glock 19 (9mm), it'll be all the stopping power you need unless you're living a very interesting lifestyle.

A decent sized revolver is a good solution too, they're freakin workhorses and will pretty much always work when you need them, again I don't know what kind of lifestyle you lead, but situations requiring unloading a whole clip into somebody is pretty damn rare.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:48 PM

thread is getting off topic. Start a new one if you want to talk about this stuff.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:52 PM

Okay....

Then I suggest the HK USP Compact 9mm....

Or the Beretta PX4 Storm .40 - also they are releasing a compact model in the fall and I will be the first person in line to get mine in 9mm. If you are going to carry than you might want a .40 cal or even just the 9mm - I wouldn't want a full size weapon in .45 to carry around all day. The additional stopping power is there, but lets be honest, if you can hit someone a few times with the smaller caliber bullet they arent going anywhere anyway.