FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Universal Health Care

[ QUOTE ]
Im obviously incapable of explaining why to you

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, tell me where Im wrong

[ QUOTE ]
My statement...is that within the ranges of the credibility of the statistics that do exist

[/ QUOTE ]

which statistics? or, are these hypothetical?

[ QUOTE ]
there will be some countries

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you went originally from an implication of all to some, but, whatever

[ QUOTE ]
whose upper bound on cost estimates and lower bound on quality estimates will exceed/fall short of the potential ranges of US statistics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im well aware of how upper and lower bounds work. But, you need something to base those bounds on. For example, one might come up with a reasonable range of 50-75 for cost in america, and 80-95 for cost in some other nation using some set of statistics. (EDIT: just to clarify, numbers are arbitrary)

Are you saying that there is some data that we can see to get these bounds. OR, are you saying it is simply possible that there exists data that would lead to bounds that support your conclusion.

No cop outs "OMG!! IM NOT GONNA ANSWER CAUSE U DONT UNDERSTAND".

To me, it seems like all you've done is claim that reasonable bounds for some countries MIGHT fall above america's reasonable bounds in cost and below in quality. Somehow this, in your mind, is 'evidence' for something

Anyway, I just saw your edited post above.

I think the major disagreement stems fom "The US statistics include a signficant number of "uninsured". Since the decision to purchase and the level of coverage purchased is primarily voluntary, the statistics related to the uninsured population are given too much weight."

Of course if you ignore the population that doesnt have insurance, you're going to come to up with different results. But, at the same time, I could argue that Americans have good access to yachts, since, of course, purchashing a yacht is voluntary, and thus, the people who dont own yachts choose not to do so.

This, though, is stepping into philosophical waters. Whether or not someone who cant afford medicine 'deserves' it, etc. But, I feel your claim these people as voluntarily choosing to not get insurance is a tad bit premature.