Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: The Bourne Ultimatum

I thought it was a real mess of a film.

Firstly, there was NO real revelations of any significance, and no, Nicky hinting there was possibly something in the past between them, that was just the films romantic tack on because they wanted to avoid a new love interest that would not fit.

How about the gaping story inconsistancies from the first film. Firstly, the trip to paris to meet Maries french brother - errrrr wasnt she German?

How about the VAST plot difference on amnesia!!!! In this one it ensues that he got his amnesia from brainwashing when it was clear that he received it from being shot and left in the cold ocean for a long period of time. Even the original treadstone boss at the end of the first film denied him having amnesia so there is no way he was 'trained' to have amnesia. Its just a convenient tie up at the end of the trilogy's story line. How come all the critica have missed that massive plot error?

Paul Greengrass can NOT direct action scenes. The fight in the first film in Paris with the Italian assassin was great, nice wide clean shots with the right amount of cuts for each move in the choreography. The germany fight scene in Supremacy was just dense - two guys close up, dressed in black and shaky cam - dumb dumb dumb. In this film the shaky cam ruins the effect of the fight so you cant appreciate the choreography. Greengrass was definately the wrong choice - the Tony Scott of this generation - all style no substance.

Overall, a hollow script that offers nothing new and the interjection of splicing it in the time line with the second film was messily done.

Identity
Supremacy
Ultimatum

in that order
Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm like 99% sure that when Bourne had a gun to the head of that guy near the end (I'm being vague cause I don't wanna spoil nuffin) he had a Glock then it went away and back and he had a SigSauer.

Then again I could be wrong

[/ QUOTE ]
I noticed that too.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought it was a real mess of a film.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a great way to describe it actually. I don't know why people are so down on Supremacy. I thought it was a strong film. It was the same spy v spy the entire movie and I thought Colm Fiore was really good as the russian KGB dude. There was also more story development and character development as bourne became ridden with remorse and guilt.

This movie seemed very fluffy and had no continuity. I really wish Liman would've come back and directed this one, this Greengrass dude needs to go away.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 PM

It would be cool if the CIA was 1/10 as powerful as they are in this film. I imagine having the ability to arrest random people at gunpoint in London, to magically control all the cameras in a British train station, and to have assassins that can be ready to make a hit anywhere in the world in an hour or less would be pretty neat.

I just got back, and my headache from the camera hasn't gone away yet.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be cool if the CIA was 1/10 as powerful as they are in this film. I imagine having the ability to arrest random people at gunpoint in London, to magically control all the cameras in a British train station, and to have assassins that can be ready to make a hit anywhere in the world in an hour or less would be pretty neat.

I just got back, and my headache from the camera hasn't gone away yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pumped I can finally open this thread, amazing movie and here's why (in white)

<font color="white"> I went to a dinner theater with full bar and we chatted it up with a couple in their late 60s/early 70s. He was pounding Manhattans during dinner and when Bourne hit that dude in the throat with the book, then punched it in his face, old guy YELLED "[censored] HIM UP!!!" Whole theater turned, even the servers.</font>

<font color="black"> </font> Also, did you guys all get the American Gangster preview? Looked really good too.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Paul Greengrass sucks, United 93 sucks (I know I'm in the minority here), he ruined this series IMO. After ALL the complaints after Supremacy about his cinematography, you'd think he would lighten up, but nope. That's just his "style" I guess. Well it sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. Greengrass is an amazing talent and United 93 is a masterpiece. His Bourne movies are simply great.

[ QUOTE ]
[EDIT]: Reflecting upon it further, it's obv not all Greengrass' fault. The cast may have been what made Identity special for me. I love Chris Cooper (check out Breach if you haven't, fun movie w/ excellent performance), and Brian Cox's role is SO much better in Identity than Supremacy. In Supremacy, he's basically just like "bourne is dangerous, i'm here for no reason! oh except i did it all ha-ha im really the bad guy!".

[/ QUOTE ]

Brian Cox killed himself at the end of the 2nd movie. The actor in the 3rd movie is Albert Finney. They do look similar, I'll give you that.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:36 AM

Apart from the token bad greengrass directed fight scene I really like Supremacy, I thought it was written and paced film with some great revelations and action scenes that were well thought out.

I thought too much of this one was predictable you knew how every scene was going to turn out. I really do hope its the last bourne film, to be honest I cant see it going anywhere else and I think Bourne has now lost his enigmatic sheen by the end of the 3rd film.

The first two were great films, and apart from the bad greengrass directing I think they were almost on par. The first had a certain purity about it that I liked, a simpler face that the third one substituted with just constant action but I wont say they should of left it at two films, there was plenty more mileage in the story at the stage and the second set up expertly for the third. But as soon as I saw it picked up after the russian girl visit from the second film I knew something was wrong in the structure they had chosen, it didnt work and was messy and from reading the forum obviously confusing to many which is understandable.
Greengrass IS crap and a bad director. They should of gone back to the first director and a different script that resolves the ACTUAL questions rather than making up stupid crap about induced amnesia that never existed in the story anyway and changed the facts of the beginning of how it all started with the real reason for his amnesia.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought too much of this one was predictable you knew how every scene was going to turn out. I really do hope its the last bourne film, to be honest I cant see it going anywhere else and I think Bourne has now lost his enigmatic sheen by the end of the 3rd film.

[/ QUOTE ]

I though the twist where (spoiler): <font color="white"> we find out Bourne is alive at the end was awesome. Completely unexpected for me.</font>
Old 08-07-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm like 99% sure that when Bourne had a gun to the head of that guy near the end (I'm being vague cause I don't wanna spoil nuffin) he had a Glock then it went away and back and he had a SigSauer.

Then again I could be wrong

[/ QUOTE ]
I noticed that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spoke to a gun nut friend and he said he noticed it as well.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I though the twist where (spoiler): <font color="white"> we find out Bourne is alive at the end was awesome. Completely unexpected for me.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

How was that an unexpected twist? it was obvious he was going to swim away