Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Update re: grades

Well...I finished grading the cheaters papers, and of the seven, only two of them managed to even break 70. The rest were somewhere between 56 and 69, and by virtue of the cheating, many of them reduced what was a certain A to a resounding B for their final grade. Maybe that's still too light for some of you, but these kids are all the nerdy, driven types who really want the boost to their GPAs that summer school typically brings.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Update re: grades

[ QUOTE ]
Well...I finished grading the cheaters papers, and of the seven, only two of them managed to even break 70. The rest were somewhere between 56 and 69, and by virtue of the cheating, many of them reduced what was a certain A to a resounding B for their final grade. Maybe that's still too light for some of you, but these kids are all the nerdy, driven types who really want the boost to their GPAs that summer school typically brings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but an 80 is still a B in your school somehow, so just going to this soft school is enough to boost their GPAs. America's education system is terrible right now.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is all the more reason why you needed to fail them. it doesn't matter whether you think your boss is ok with the punishment you gave, they deserved worse, and your cowardice makes blood spurt from the anus of hard working honest students everywhere.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:29 AM

I dropped out of school the second semester of sophomore year (highschool) because I was lazy. I intended to go back, and then found out that there was this thing called night school. I would go in at 3 or 4pm and it was so easy. We would get assignments that pretty much called for a standard 5 paragraph essay. These kids in my classes would just copy and paste random text that they found googling and didnt even read through. Some of the text would be size 10 some 14, some 12; some bold, some italic, whatever. They would always get a couple points off for not citing their sources. I would just skim some stuff on the subject then write something and never proof read it. I would get A's doing this so of course I would just do enough "A" papers to get a passing grade in the class and blow off the other assignments.

yay for barely passing highschool.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully, that will wake some of them up. If you get to talk to them again before the end of the semester, you might give them the whole plagiarism speech and how it can affect their academic careers.

Make sure that they know that you've been lenient and that other teachers may not be so understanding. Additionally, they should know that professors at the college level especially would have treated it much more seriously, from a 0 on the assignment to an XE for the course (A failing grade specifically given for academic dishonesty)

I may be a hardliner on this, but it is better that these kids learn this lesson now before they go to college and risk destroying their academic career.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:32 AM

Brag: I plagerise University Mathematics (Yes its possible)

Im actually really good at maths but i really just cant be [censored] at alogarithm assignments. I used to plagerise at HS English all the time but thats because HS means [censored] all (atleast here in aus) apart from yr12 and in yr12 the assessment is exam + tests in class so its hard to plagerise unless you can download wiki in your brain

PS. Boost you typical cheating [censored] ofc you dropped out of HS and your not fooling anyone with white male avatar
Old 08-03-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure that they know that you've been lenient and that other teachers may not be so understanding. Additionally, they should know that professors at the college level especially would have treated it much more seriously, from being permanently expelled from school to being permanently expelled from school

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-03-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the grades they received reflect their knowledge of the curriculum or merely your subjective opinion on the effort they put forth towards your busy work assignments?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Update: Bigger Beat

[ QUOTE ]

The more important question is whether they learned it imho. Who knows though, im not a teacher, but I know I for one would give an oral exam to each student and see how they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd definitely be giving this student an 'oral exam' if she wants to avoid expulsion and failaments.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully, that will wake some of them up. If you get to talk to them again before the end of the semester, you might give them the whole plagiarism speech and how it can affect their academic careers.

Make sure that they know that you've been lenient and that other teachers may not be so understanding. Additionally, they should know that professors at the college level especially would have treated it much more seriously, from a 0 on the assignment to an XE for the course (A failing grade specifically given for academic dishonesty)

I may be a hardliner on this, but it is better that these kids learn this lesson now before they go to college and risk destroying their academic career.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did exactly this yesterday, actually.