Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Books I\'m reading etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Incredible. I recommend it to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

youve got to read blood meridian.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:33 PM

finished the corrections a few days ago, excellent book. highly recommended.

just started the adventures of kavalier and clay by chabon.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:16 PM

I really liked most of the Irving Stone books I read. They are very detailed oriented biographical books (though reads like a fictional book with dialogue which he had to make up based on the personality traits of the historical characters he writes about).

Some I liked were:

The Agony and the Ecstasy: A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo

Jack London: Sailor on Horseback

Passions of the Mind (Sigmund Freud)

I've read others but those are probably my favorites of his. I really liked the Fountain Head by Ayn Rand (like it a lot more then Atlas Shrugged). Anybody that liked these books have suggestions for me for books I might like? A good book to me is one that is inspirational and/or thought provoking and fun to read.

I read a few of the existential books from classic writers and found them to be decent. I'm thinking that East of Eden by Steinbeck looks promising. Almost all of the books I have read were written before 1980 (first became interested in reading books by famous writers in my high school eurpean history class).
Old 07-22-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody that liked these books have suggestions for me for books I might like? A good book to me is one that is inspirational and/or thought provoking and fun to read.

I read a few of the existential books from classic writers and found them to be decent. I'm thinking that East of Eden by Steinbeck looks promising. Almost all of the books I have read were written before 1980 (first became interested in reading books by famous writers in my high school eurpean history class).

[/ QUOTE ]

Emma? Lord Jim?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:45 PM

I just finished up a couple books, Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain, Connfessions of a Professional Jewel Thief, and a coule of golf books

Nasty Bits- It was good, there was some rehashed stuff from Kitchen Confidential, and its basically a lot of behind the scenes stuff from his tv show, but it was still enjoyable. I really like Bourdain, its odd to me when someoen writes something that makes me aware. All his descriptions of what kitchen life etc is like, is spot on, but I would have never been aware of the fact that other people basically experience the exact same stuff in this regard (not sure if this makes sense).

Confessions of a Jewel Thief- Very disappointed, it was good, but there was way too much BS, and not enough meat for me. It didnt flow very well, adn he jumped back and forth through time a lot so it got confusing. Its ashame the guy wasnt a good writer, becuase the jobs he pulled, and the people he rubbed elbows with were amazing
Old 07-23-2007, 09:27 AM

I just found out the sequel to one of the better books I have read recently, The Lies of Locke Lamora is coming out next week. It is called Red Seas Under Red Skies. The first book was pretty awesome, very escapist fantasy-type fiction. It follows a goup of thieves and their capers, imagine Oceans 11 set in medieval times. It's not overly intellectual, but it's very well done and a good page-turner. I am quite looking forward to reading the sequel next week.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:39 AM

Has anyone read the most recent Murakami? I have it in my pile of books to read but am making sure I actually finish some of the non-fiction books I'm half way through before letting myself start it... Amazon reviews are very mixed
Old 07-23-2007, 01:45 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

I'm so far less sophisticated with my reading, but I just picked up Adam Davies second book "Goodbye Lemon" and Jim Norton's book of essays, "Tales of a meaty breasted zilch".
Old 07-23-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got back from a trip and wanted to share some of the books I've been reading recently. I typically like fiction books that are quick easy reads (though occassionally I'll read something more challenging). Many of you think these books are rubbish, but I read for entertainment for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]
from looking at your reading list, i think you would like william gibson. check out neuromancer
Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
finished the corrections a few days ago, excellent book. highly recommended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone i have bought it for / recommended it to have thanked me. Maybe my favorite book written in the last 10 years.