Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: NBA draft disccusion thread

[ QUOTE ]
Who would you be left with?

That is a lot though. The Wolves wouldn't have to give up their pick either? I think Garnett is good but not that good. AJ is what 22. That's 9 years younger than Garnett. I doubt AJ will overall, ever be as good, but 9 years at probally 20/11 and 1.5 bpg is a lot to give up.

So your left with Rondo, Pierce, Wally (blah), KJ, Perkins?

Bench: Ray, Gomes, Allen, West.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming this situation, am I the only one who thinks the Celts would be much better with a lineup of West, Allen, Pierce, KG, Perkins.

And even assuming no trade the Celts should likely have a lineup that looks pretty similar to that except with Jefferson instead of KG.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jefferson is probably the Celtic I'd least like to part with, but I would for KG. Not in this deal though, and not with Green and the #5 pick too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the exact opposite. There's no player I'd rather see in green than KG, but Al Jefferson is the one player I would never part with for him. He'll never be as good as KG's prime, but he'll give as good/better production than KG over the course of the next 6 years. Plus Big Al has been my favorite player in the league since his rookie year. Him getting traded would probably be more heartbreaking to me than any other player over the course of my life.

CelticsBlog had a good write up about what we'd get with KG. You figure with KG, even though he's "on the decline", he's still one of the best 5 or so players in the NBA. His production is still sick, it's just not that OMGWOWOW peak he had for a few years. So you'll probably get top power forward production out of him for another 3 years. Then another 3 years of 3rd option/less of a defensive force type stuff. Then a couple of twilight years with limited minutes but good production ala David Robinson.

But by trading for him, the team gets thin and old, fast. I think a Pierce/KG combo has a shot at the Finals for each of the next 3 seasons, but I still don't see them competing with the Spurs/Mavs/Suns of the world.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but he'll give as good/better production than KG over the course of the next 6 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me for nitpicking at one line in your post, but I disagree here.

KG hasn't declined that much imo and he still has a quite a few superstar years left. His numbers are off the charts still:

http://www.82games.com/0607/06MIN11D.HTM
http://www.82games.com/0607/0607MIN.HTM
Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who would you be left with?

That is a lot though. The Wolves wouldn't have to give up their pick either? I think Garnett is good but not that good. AJ is what 22. That's 9 years younger than Garnett. I doubt AJ will overall, ever be as good, but 9 years at probally 20/11 and 1.5 bpg is a lot to give up.

So your left with Rondo, Pierce, Wally (blah), KJ, Perkins?

Bench: Ray, Gomes, Allen, West.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming this situation, am I the only one who thinks the Celts would be much better with a lineup of West, Allen, Pierce, KG, Perkins.

And even assuming no trade the Celts should likely have a lineup that looks pretty similar to that except with Jefferson instead of KG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a HUGE part of this trade is dependent on Tony Allen's recovery. I think he's a starting caliber wing player, and if Danny deems that, we don't need Brewer or Thornton, or to keep Gerald Green.

A minute breakdown like this would be hot for a big game (If Doc could ever figure out rotations)

West 18/ Rondo 30
Allen 24/ West 12/ Wally 12
Pierce 38/ Wally 10
KG 20/ Gomes 28
Perkins 30/ KG 18

With the second round pick, take a big guy like Sean Williams, Fazekas, or Aaron Gray for some front court depth in case of injury.

The above team, if totally healthy, competes with anyone in the East NEXT YEAR.

Drafting Brewer, Yi, Noah, Horford, etc. prob makes us a first round knockout team.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: NBA draft discussion thread

OMG the Blazers better not talk themselves out of Oden (all quotes from the Oregonian):

[ QUOTE ]
Greg Oden, potential No. 1 pick in the June 28 NBA draft, was in Portland and ready to show his stuff for the Blazers on Wednesday.

So what did the 7-foot center -- who most feel is the sure-fire top pick -- go out and do in his hour on the court?

He missed more than a handful of easy shots, got overly tired and found himself apologizing for his play to coach Nate McMillan and Blazers personnel.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Oden's so-so workout could increase suspense as the other potential No. 1 pick -- Texas forward Kevin Durant -- comes to work out Friday. If anything, Wednesday fueled the fire that has become The Great Debate inside the Blazers' offices -- Oden or Durant?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"I expect Kevin Durant to come in here and be an assassin," Pritchard said. "I think he is going to come in here, show everybody what he can do, and he is going to try and prove to us that he is the No. 1 pick. We like what we saw from Greg, but we are going to keep an open mind throughout the process."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
But will McMillan's visions come to fruition? The question rages inside the Blazers' offices, so much so that Pritchard came to the news conference with baggy, bloodshot eyes. He said he was working on two hours of sleep because he once again was up all night watching game film of Oden and Durant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-21-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but he'll give as good/better production than KG over the course of the next 6 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me for nitpicking at one line in your post, but I disagree here.

KG hasn't declined that much imo and he still has a quite a few superstar years left. His numbers are off the charts still:

http://www.82games.com/0607/06MIN11D.HTM
http://www.82games.com/0607/0607MIN.HTM

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you're nitpicking. 6 years Assani. Maybe stretch it to 7 or 8. I'm well aware of KG's current dominance. He's not keeping it up for 6 years. In 4 years when KG's scoring, rebounds, and minutes are down, Big Al should be peaking.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
found himself apologizing for his play to coach Nate McMillan and Blazers personnel.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this is a very good sign.

Guy has absolutely zero ego. Maybe not the Jordan/Bird/LeBron I own the NBA personality, but definitely Tim Duncan or Dwight Howard esque.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:54 PM

I'm gonna LOL so hard if Portland passes up on Oden. I mean, if you're Presti (new GM of the Sonics), does your career start off any better than that?

Maybe Pritchard just likes all this attention. He's wasting his time staying up 'til 5 am watching game tape.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
found himself apologizing for his play to coach Nate McMillan and Blazers personnel.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this is a very good sign.

Guy has absolutely zero ego. Maybe not the Jordan/Bird/LeBron I own the NBA personality, but definitely Tim Duncan or Dwight Howard esque.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, that's part of the reason I hope we don't talk ourselves out of taking him.

Remember what happened with Reggie Bush... zomg.....
Old 06-21-2007, 02:20 PM

There was also contract issues, something that really never comes up in the NBA. The only player in recent member I can remember forcing a trade during or right after the draft as a rookie was Steve Francis going to the Vancouver.