Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: \"I make more than you\"

Taking the high road is always the preferred path, but people are missing the mark when they say: 'She isn't trying to be condescending'.

Intent is half the battle, but sometimes it just takes a back seat. You don't have to be cultured Old Money to understand that telling somebody you make more than them is a direct insult, let alone adding in the 'little' fact that if you both worked the same you would still make more. The RIGHT play would be to explain how a comment like hers is insulting/rude, regardless of her intentions. But since that's the job of her parents and not her friends, you should either take the high-road or jokingly comment on how you make more than her. The latter certainly isn't as immature or offensive as some here are making it out to be and you have the added benefit of it being a jovial delivery which takes away much of the vindictive edge.

Maybe it's just because my circle of friends constantly talks [censored] to each other jokingly, but if somebody I knew said that to me I would certainly make a joke out of it.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"security consulting & internet marketing"...

[/ QUOTE ]

People don't immediately say "what does that mean?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, people just assume you're doing some technical gobbedlygook and immediately shut their brain down.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people are missing the mark when they say: 'She isn't trying to be condescending'.

telling somebody you make more than them is a direct insult

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if the two in question value money equally. Not everyone values $ equally. Some people prefer peace-of-mind over money, some people prefer a family over money, etc. Would telling someone you have more kids than them (they?) be an insult? What if you told them you had more peace-of-mind? You may say it sounds sort of insulting, but most people would agree that it doesn't sound nearly as bad as saying you make/have more money.

I really don't think she was meaning harm here. She's just ill-informed about basically everything going on around her. She assumes that if Sponger could earn 60k working 37 hours a week playing poker, he obv. would do it.

A lot of young people fresh out of school with a nice job are really dumb and annoying, though. You go from living off Ramen noodles to making a couple grand every paycheck and you think you can afford all kinds of stuff that you cannot. A lot of these people like to rush out and buy 40K SUV's and vacation through Europe and whatnot, accumulating all kinds of debt in the meantime. Then they wake up 10 years later with 3 kids, living paycheck-to-paycheck. And they probably don't value "family" as much as they do money. Whoops!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:30 PM

The correct response is: I will bet my annual income against yours that mine is greater than yours.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:11 PM

Sponger you did the right thing by letting it go. At one point in my life if a friend said that to me in a condescending tone I would've definately spoke up. As you get older and become more successful you just let it slide. These things don't bug me anymore.

Something similar happened to me recently. I had an aquaintance who started to work for himself and told me he made over 10K that month. He was genuinely happy about his success and I guess he wanted to share it. He wasn't being condescending towards me or anything as I haven't told him I play poker pretty seriously. I just congratulated him and moved on.

I don't go and tell people how I do in poker. I have told a few non poker friends the truth but they just looked at me like a degen who was just talking sh*t. I keep it to myself now and if a situation like this arises, I just let it go.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:17 PM

I feel a certain amount of resentment from a few of my friends in regards to this. It bothers me because I don't think I would be that way if the roles were reversed, but I don't say anything because I know it is just a reflection of how they feel about their own lives and not really mine.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had an aquaintance who started to work for himself and told me he made over 10K that month. He was genuinely happy about his success and I guess he wanted to share it. He wasn't being condescending towards me or anything

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely different imo.
Being excited about having a good month or 'best month ever' and wanting to share it is one thing.
Just like if Sponger's friend was just excited about her new career, etc.

But Sponger's friend taking it up about 5 notches by saying, "Yeah, but I make more than you" is pretty classless.
That's way condescending (and she doesn't even know how completely wrong she is) and is clearly meant as a put-down.

In other news, Sponger's friend has the exact same job my GF does.
3 days of 12.5-13 hours a week for $60k/yr.
Except my GF isn't just starting out. She's done it for a few yrs.

Decent chance Sponger's friend will be like most other nurses and will be pretty damn burnt-out on the whole thing, pissed at incompetent management, and generally frustrated with what she's doing sometime within the next 5-10 years.

Obviously lots of careers get tired and boring after awhile. But it seems like the burn-out rate for nurses can be pretty high.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:51 PM

The fact that this is the sort of thing that will bother some people is the exact reason Rolexes are made.

[ QUOTE ]
Buying nice things to "subtly" indicate how much you make makes you a huge douche. He'd be better off wearing cargo shorts and sandals and just telling people.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false. Wearing a Rolex/Breitling/etc with shorts, sandals, and a tee-shirt is, in fact, the epitome of baller.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 days of 12.5-13 hours a week for $60k/yr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly this sounds like one of the most cake schedules ever. I don't care how difficult the actual day is, but doing it 3 days a week for 13 hours is way better than a standard 8 hours (usually more), 5 days a week. Working just 3 days a week would rule so hard.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:16 PM

My GF agrees.
She is a 'weekender' meaning she has to work every Saturday and Sunday and gets paid a little more.
She adds a Wednesday shift in there.

Regular nurses who aren't weekenders end up having to work 1 or 2 weekends a month anyway I believe.

So for my GF every Mon/Tue and Thu/Fri are her weekends. She gets two weekends each week essentially.

She's totally drained and fried after her Sat/Sun work stretch dealing with patients with all kinds of problems including various amounts of blood, vomit, feces, etc.
So it's not exactly easy.

And she was really getting clobbered when she worked overnights from 6:45p to 7:15a and has vowed to never do that again.

But she fully acknowledges that having the schedule set up as it is for only 3 days a week is really pretty nice and she has commented several times that she would hate to do 5 days X 8-9 hours like most working people do.