Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: ***Official Sopranos Next To Last Episode Thread***

Isn't Phil in deep crap for not getting the go ahead to do this? Don't you need the authority to make a hit on made guys?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On another note, I wonder if Tony ever realized how loyal Silvio was to him? Throughout the show, Tony never seemed grateful for the things Sil had done for him. Even in this episode Sil whacked the guy that tried to get him to turn on Tony without hesitation. Sil was probably his best friend, yet I always got the feeling Tony never really appreciated his friendship.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he did for the most part. I would also say he considered Sil his best friend. Sil was his closest advisor, so he obviously trusted him as much as he can trust anyone. I think the reason he didnt seem remorseful after what happened is basically because there just isnt time for that now. He had to get his [censored] together and do it quickly.

I think the Raging Bull slow motion punching scene in the restaurant pretty much shows how they feel about each other.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 AM

Few thoughts.

1- really well done ep. The bit with Bobby and the trains was sooo awesome.

2- Paulie is not going to double cross Tony. My guess is that he's going to be a big part in striking back at Phil's crew.

3- The one thing I won't miss about this show is Carm. Jesus she's a frustrating and annoying character. I mean, that's what they're going for, but much like Janice, too real and too annoying to make me happy on screen.

4- Whoever had the genius idea to cast real life [censored] Peter Bogdanowhatever as a [censored] is a genius. He's executed that role really well.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also (and I could be reading waaaay too much into this), did anyone find it somewhat strange that Tony went to the trouble of putting the steak recipe back in the "Departures" magazine before he left? The reason I ask is because I assume that the whole session with Melfi was to finally put an ending on Tony's therapy once and for all, after the therapist dinner and her own reading of the studies on sociopathic behavior. So if he is the sociopath that we believe him to be and if the studies about behavior conclude that the therapy is actually counterproductive, then why would Tony put the recipe back in its place instead of just leaving right then and there? If he is completely selfish, "playing" Melfi, etc. is this simply just his last "act"? Or can this be construed to be a symbol for his sincere remorse over not just the recipe, but for his other transgressions?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was no act of remorse, if anything it was the exact opposite. It was an act of contempt, right down to the demonstrative smoothing out of the magazine after he tucked the page back in. Tony is 100% the sociopath we all believe him to be.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:36 AM

btw, unless i'm not remembering the end of the episode right, hotel california by the gypsy kings is not the ending song of this episode.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:44 AM

The show rarely/never takes the self-indulgent, predictable route, but here are my hopes for a surprise ending.

1) Little Carmine goes to the other NY families and complains about Phil not consulting the commission to whack a boss, even one from NJ (conveniently ignoring that Tony broke the same rule). David Chase reminds us that there is always a higher power to answer to, and Phil gets whacked by NY.

b) Furio secretly stayed in NJ because he loves Carmela ("I'm going to the 'spec house', Tony"), and she goes to him for help. He single-handedly kills all of NY and then Tony's final conflict comes with loyalty decisions between his 2 'families'.

3) Terrorist nuclear holocaust. Like an exaggerated version of the end of Gangs of New York. It shows how silly this little gang rivalry is in the grand scheme of things.

None of these things will happen of course, but any of them is as likely as Paulie working with NY to kill Tony.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, unless i'm not remembering the end of the episode right, hotel california by the gypsy kings is not the ending song of this episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a slow electronic beat. Hotel CA was at the end of entourage.

I can't believe there is only one left. I want to see so much more. I highly doubt Paulie is working for NY.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Little Carmine goes to the other NY families and complains about Phil not consulting the commission to whack a boss, even one from NJ (conveniently ignoring that Tony broke the same rule). David Chase reminds us that there is always a higher power to answer to, and Phil gets whacked by NY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think this makes sense, so long as Tony is diminished in the end as well.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

I'm also pretty sure that the Doors song playing at the 'Bing earlier was "When the Music's Over", not "The End" -- but I'll have to watch it again to be sure.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think this makes sense, so long as Tony is diminished in the end as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was definetly something I was thinking about too. Earlier in this thread I noted that I have a feeling that Carmine will still have a role to play. He was visibly disgusted by how Phil treated him and Tony when they went to Phil's place and Tony has already told Carmine that he would completely bow to Carmine if Carmine took over brooklyn. There's already been a war going on in NYC and Phil has never really endeared himself to anyone but his immeadite people