Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Should I steal this money?

[ QUOTE ]
So they paid me $17000 rather than $850.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really make 850 pounds per week? Or is this converted to dollars? And after-tax? Either way you should not be poor.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So they paid me $17000 rather than $850.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really make 850 pounds per week? Or is this converted to dollars? And after-tax? Either way you should not be poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's £430 / $860 this week because I did an hour's overtime.

Normally it's £415 / $830 after tax.

If I insist on playing $1/$2 PLO out of my wages, it's easy to be poor...
Old 06-01-2007, 11:22 AM

I just phoned the woman who runs the agency, who I'm on very good terms with, and told her. She knew nothing about it, really appreciated me telling her, and said she'd phone the payroll people and get back to me. I feel terrible... damn I would have liked that money! But yes, she would have found out sooner or later and it would have made her question my honesty / suitability for further work, AND I'd have had to pay it back... plus we all know I'd only have spunked the money playing poker!

Still, I'm hoping she tells me the payroll people only paid me once so it must be the bank's mistake, nothing to do with the agency, and leaves me to sort it out myself in my own time!
Old 06-01-2007, 02:00 PM

Okay so I just had ANOTHER opportunity to take someone else's money and another time I needed to quickly consider what I should do.

I was on the tube home from central London; it was very, very crowded. I had just managed to get a seat, but the standing passengears were packed in very tight. I am sitting at the end of the aisle near the doors. I see the guy standing above me drop something. He sees me looking up, but doesn't realise what he's done. I look to the floor, thinking to tell him - then I see it's a £5 note. I look at him again - 20s, well-groomed, some stubble, oily hair; expensive clothes; listening to an iPod; and he is wearing dark shades despite being on the goddamn underground. People are packed in so tight no-one can see the ground, so I move my foot over the fiver and pull it back towards me. Eventually he gets off, and I reach down and discretely palm the note and pocket it. Will I lose any sleep over this? None whatsoever.

On the way into the tube, the busker from earlier in the week was there, singing Just Like a Woman. I gave him a pound, hoping it would give me good karma. I think I have balanced out the good actions with the bad in this past week!

I
Old 06-01-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's what I should do:

1. Stop playing poker forever (I can tell myself it's for
six months).

2. Write a novel about a degenerate gambler, squalid and phonily romantic. Put all my energies into this, and try to get it published (I do have a few connections - until not long ago I was an Eng Lit PhD student at one of the top schools in the country).

3. Profit!

[/ QUOTE ]

let's be honest with OP. if you've seen any of his posts, he's an addict and a degen among degens. if he's not blowing his food money on low limit poker, he's railing the high stakes games on full tilt, giving NVG updates every ten minutes.

jimm, you are a gambler. you will likely be broke most of your life. there will be times where you will have a decent amount of cash from some type of gambling adventure, but you will quickly be back to busto.

you dont want to change. you get some sort of satisfaction from gambling, whether you win or lose. you probably wont ever be able to change that, as it is a chemical imbalance related to the situations you put yourself in.

i suggest you accept your life for what it is. try and avoid extremes, and for [censored] sake mate, learn to beat the micro limits. it's not as though it's a [censored] gauntlet of death, now is it?

so, accept your life for what it is, and try to spend more time appreciating other things and bettering yourself away from poker and in poker. even total degenerates can keep themselves fed and in action, i suggest you work on that.

also, you know you're taking the [censored] money. quit asking OOT for some sort of social validation that will somehow help you conscience taking the abandoned money. but i suggest you adamantly deny you ever took it, and quit making posts (likely from work?) about taking it in the future.

you're not the brightest jewel in the crown, are you?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:07 PM

You are the kind of fellow that could give gambling a bad name.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:39 AM

I only read 1/6th of this thread, but here's what I suggest:

Ask your boss for permission to track down the lady to give her that money back.

If he gives permission, then do it.

If you both don't know where she is, give it to your boss.

If there was a tactful way to convey to him that you need the money, then do so.

You don't need the money, you need some self-respect.

Best wishes. Read what Johnny Hughes recommended.

PS: I'm actually glad you write about your experiences. My hunch is that there's a huge population out there with your problems who just don't write about it. However, that shouldn't be an excuse for you not to change. We're enabling you, I guess.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ask your boss for permission to track down the lady to give her that money back.

If there was a tactful way to convey to him that you need the money, then do so.

PS: I'm actually glad you write about your experiences. My hunch is that there's a huge population out there with your problems who just don't write about it. However, that shouldn't be an excuse for you not to change. We're enabling you, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. The lawyer I work for earns $2 million a year, however. It would be quite embarassing telling her I didn't have money for food.

Incidentally she is WAY more careful with money than I am. Well, she spends on the big things like property, private school fees. But she doesn't throw money around AT ALL. And she would never gamble so much as a penny.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. The lawyer I work for earns $2 million a year, however. It would be quite embarassing telling her I didn't have money for food.

Incidentally she is WAY more careful with money than I am. Well, she spends on the big things like property, private school fees. But she doesn't throw money around AT ALL. And she would never gamble so much as a penny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:21 AM

Sometimes it's poor/stupid people who recklessly waste their money, while the rich are real careful. That's how the poor stay poor and the rich stay rich!