Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Cover Design Contest

Does Moshman's book cover HU play much? I've been working on a design I like for the sng book, but I just realized it works better as a heads-up cover.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:27 PM

I like Roxysurfergirl00's covers. The abstract design implies that the books will unveil the complex concepts needed to play NL HE at a professional level.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:56 PM

Thanks Boz ^_^. I guess as a graphic design major, I was trained to do research on both the target audience and the current example. After looking and analyzing the current covers I noticed that a lot of them seemed too plain and needed more contrast added, I also took into account that this is a very complex game. Because of all this, I decided to take a more abstract/contemporary look.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:38 PM

Hi guys,

First, let me say I am very impressed by the Gonso designs. But I know some monster SNG book designs will surface -- after all, five hundred bucks is five hundred bucks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

To runout_mick:

Since head's up is an important part of SNG play, I devote a full chapter to it. However, since my book is more generally on SNGs, I'm not sure a strictly HU theme would work. Perhaps you could post a rough sketch of what you had in mind and get more accurate feedback.

Best Regards,
Collin
Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys,

First, let me say I am very impressed by the Gonso designs. But I know some monster SNG book designs will surface -- after all, five hundred bucks is five hundred bucks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

To runout_mick:

Since head's up is an important part of SNG play, I devote a full chapter to it. However, since my book is more generally on SNGs, I'm not sure a strictly HU theme would work. Perhaps you could post a rough sketch of what you had in mind and get more accurate feedback.

Best Regards,
Collin

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't gone past the brainstorm phase yet, but I had an idea I wanted to take a few test photos of to get a feel for.

Picture an ornate chess board resting on a felt table illuminated by spotlight in a darkened room. The chess pieces are composed of differing height stacks of poker chips. Two face down holecards are visible on the felt on our side of the board.

On the other side of the board sits a shadowy, menacing figure whose features are almost entirely obscured in silhouette because of harsh backlighting.

I have a friend that owns a gaming supply store, and I was thinking about talking her into letting me set up a test shoot there, as she has all kinds of poker tables, chips, and chessboards to choose from for props.

I'm really curious to see if I can tweak the lighting enough to get the sinister effect I'm after.

Edit: I also have to dig my imaging software out of storage (if I even have them any more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). I haven't done anything creative for a while, and this project seems like a fun way to get back into the swing of it.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:13 PM

I finished some revisions to one of the books, more are still to come.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:22 PM

Hi mick:

[ QUOTE ]
Gonso, I have taken several courses in graphic design and was about to give this contest a serious go. I don't think I'll bother now. These may be some of the most striking book covers I've ever seen. Very good job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do bother. We may pick up an additional cover or two for future books, and we will also be giving out other prizes in addition to the $500 for each selected cover.

Also for everyone: I'm not going to comment very much on the designs that have been produced so far since I don't want to discourage anyone who may want to submit a cover. However, I will say that the quality of what we have been seeing is at the quality level we were hoping for.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 05-22-2007, 02:02 AM

More revisions on the back cover, I still need to work on some of the colors though.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also WTF is with the revolver on all of these 2+2 books lol

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be totally cool if you could put that revolver in the kings hand!

[/ QUOTE ]

Pointing to his own head, as an ace flops.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think the full title for the first book should read:

Professional No-Limit Hold ’em for Professionals: Volume I
Professionally Learn to Think like a Professional and Play Like a Professional

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Well, I like the King design. Frankly I thought the cover of SSHE was hilarious, but that's kind of an inside joke and you can really only use it once.
Closed Thread