Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Why Great Players Often Like My Stuff More Than Good Players

Okay, David. I don't think I've ever disagreed with you before, as evidenced by my earlier post here and others. But I think you are surely underestimating the number of players that have read your books, or certainly the "Theory of Poker". When I take a seat I just assume anyone who is playing well and therefore somewhat serious has read TOP. Now I know that is not always right, but I think MORE likely than not a serious player has read TOP. Maybe they didn't understand it or study it, but surely have read it.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:05 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

I think dave is right on about the percentage of poker players that have read TOP. I think most of the players I encounter playing live haven't read a poker book at all. I bet very few have read TOP.

If they have read a poker book it is "Play Poker like a Pro" or some equally enlightening volume.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If 1,000,000 people are trying to succeed at poker and 50,000 of them have studied my books, then if half of the top 1000 have read my books, it means that readers who read are 1% and those who haven't are one twentieth of one percent to reach that pinnacle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Posters replying that David way underestimates who's read his books did see the "if" in this post, right?

My interpretation is a bit different. I read this as hypothetical not factual. Could be my bad though.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 PM

Steam, I so hope you are so right,Dawg.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If 1,000,000 people are trying to succeed at poker and 50,000 of them have studied my books, then if half of the top 1000 have read my books, it means that readers who read are 1% and those who haven't are one twentieth of one percent to reach that pinnacle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Posters replying that David way underestimates who's read his books did see the "if" in this post, right?

My interpretation is a bit different. I read this as hypothetical not factual. Could be my bad though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I see it, now.. What is the point,then? ( I had a rhone villages with my filet m. tonit, so type it so slow, okay?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I see it, now.. What is the point,then? ( I had a rhone villages with my filet m. tonit, so type it so slow, okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bold-face "hypothetical" in my reply to your post, but I have a feeling you'd think I was being a smart-arse.

I just read it as a hypothetical. If x number are playing poker, and y number have read his books, then that would mean z, and so on and so forth.

Again, I'm probably the one reading it wrong, so don't take offense.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:33 PM

Yes, I was just explaining the math.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:48 AM

Regardless how good the books are, the easiest and safest way to become a very good player is to be the relative of a top player. They can teach you a highly effective approach that obviously cannot be found in the books, or everyone else would be just as good.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:39 AM

No, I didn't think you were being a smartA at all. I realized when i read your post you were right. I didn't register the if casue I was fast reading and got right into the reponses. I was just having some fun with me missing it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the fact that perhaps only half of the most successful 500 players have not read TOP I will reiterate what I said before. Which in a nutshell is that since less than 5% of ALL aspiring poker players have read it you are ten times as likely to succeed if you have.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't it more likely that people read TOP because they are dedicated to becoming good at poker rather than TOP makes people ten times more likely to become good or is that beside your point?