Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Clemens signed with the Yankees

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
depends how you define "available". his vorp this year is lower than Anthony Reyes, a signing who I'm sure would not ring nearly as much excitement.

[/ QUOTE ]

can i assume you are talking about projected VORP here? do you mean during the remainder of the season, or on the season as a whole?

[/ QUOTE ]

either one, I would think.

the thing with Clemens is that he's not gonna throw that many innings/start. for a team with an overworked bad bullpen, he's not an ideal fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

well yeah, that's the key thing to me too. i would have thought that clemens wouldn't be so hot on having his W-L (and ERA for that matter) depend so heavily on brian bruney and luis vizcaino. the yanks will sign him because it's what they do, but they're basically paying $1MM/start for a guy who i think will ultimately end up giving you wakefield type numbers for about seven times the price. at least wake can get you into the 7th or 8th inning on a semi-regular basis.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$4.5m per month, prorated out that would $28m for the year.

most expensive player in MLB

[/ QUOTE ]

4.5 mil a month for clemens for one year makes a lot more sense than 4.5 m/month per year for a guy like masusak who has never pitched in the najors before
Old 05-06-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
depends how you define "available". his vorp this year is lower than Anthony Reyes, a signing who I'm sure would not ring nearly as much excitement.

[/ QUOTE ]

can i assume you are talking about projected VORP here? do you mean during the remainder of the season, or on the season as a whole?

[/ QUOTE ]

either one, I would think.

the thing with Clemens is that he's not gonna throw that many innings/start. for a team with an overworked bad bullpen, he's not an ideal fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

well yeah, that's the key thing to me too. i would have thought that clemens wouldn't be so hot on having his W-L (and ERA for that matter) depend so heavily on brian bruney and luis vizcaino. the yanks will sign him because it's what they do, but they're basically paying $1MM/start for a guy who i think will ultimately end up giving you wakefield type numbers for about seven times the price. at least wake can get you into the 7th or 8th inning on a semi-regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa whoa whoa - that all sounds very stupid. you're comparing clemens to wakefield? wakefield's PECOTA projects him to have an ERA almost two full runs higher than clemens NL PECOTA - you see a two run jump?

clemens could easily have a mid 3s ERA.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4.5 mil a month for clemens for one year makes a lot more sense than 4.5 m/month per year for a guy like masusak who has never pitched in the najors before

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you even try to spell correctly?

Also, has anyone done a Dead check on this guy?
Old 05-06-2007, 11:45 PM

NT,

You might be brain damaged for the above comment. Do you really believe what you typed? I am dead serious, because it is [censored] idiotic.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NT,

You might be brain damaged for the above comment. Do you really believe what you typed? I am dead serious, because it is [censored] idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without the vitriol, I have to agree here.

You expect Clemens to put up "Wakefield-like" numbers?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NT,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well i don't expect him to put up similar K/9, K/BB or WHIP to wakefield, those will all be better. but in terms of ERA i expect they'll be very close (and yes i know this factors in team defense etc etc) and wakefield will give you more innings. when i said that i was thinking of dopey numbers like the ones average fans look at, W-L, ERA, etc.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, Matsuzaka makes 1.44 million/month but whatever.

Edit: And was born right when Clemens went to college.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NT,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well i don't expect him to put up similar K/9, K/BB or WHIP to wakefield, those will all be better. but in terms of ERA i expect they'll be very close (and yes i know this factors in team defense etc etc) and wakefield will give you more innings. when i said that i was thinking of dopey numbers like the ones average fans look at, W-L, ERA, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

time to pull one out of kyle's bag -

money on it? clemens' ERA will be .75 or more lower than wakefield's. i mean, c'mon, W-L? even those i don't think will be similar - i don't expect luis vizcaino and mariano rivera to have ERAs above 7 for that much longer (well okay vizcaino maybe).
Old 05-07-2007, 12:10 AM

sorry dice k is almost 3 mil a month and has never pitched in the majors before
Ill take a great pitcher for 1 year over a guy who is probably gonna be another bust for 6 years-for some reason I thought they had him for 4-
i really dont care when he was born- they didnt sign clemens for 6 years