Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Ram Vaswani speaks about that \'Golf Game\'.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A quote from the hendon mob website I think is relevant:

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, this is not very relevant. that was a nice thing for him to do, but nearly everyone i know would have done the same thing. pretty unremarkable.

ram is clearly not a bad guy, and i don't think his backing out is a reverse scam on his part. he truly believes he was wronged. but that stupid "if you can't spot the sucker" quote is apt. if he was not aware of what was going on, then he is not cut out for the world of gamblers. it sucks, but he needs to pay up, learn his lesson and move on.

that said, ivey is definitely a scumbag. many in this thread have already responded with some variant of "everyone does it", which is brilliant. so you're all scumbags, great!

you lay down with dogs you get fleas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha...good post, I agree completely. It's hard to decide which side of this argument to be on because they're all obviously lying, degenerate scumbags. It sure is an interesting situation though.

I'm amazed that these guys gamble for these kinds of stakes without putting the money up front in some kind of escrow. I can understand when these rich guys are playing for $50K per round that they might just trust the other guy. But when it gets to the hundreds of thousands of dollars you'd think that Ivey would want to see some cash up front. I guess he just didn't want to give Ram a chance to get off tilt and step away from the course though.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:52 PM

This wouldn't even be an issue if the stakes were more along the lines of $10.

Ivey<Ram at setting up a golf bet.

This isn't a big deal except for the amount of money. The rules of golf gambling don't change because of that.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
am I the only one that thinks that Ram isn't paying because he CANT? I don't think he has a million bucks. He is a loser who goes over his head all the time. (recently demonstrated by playing SBrugby for the highest stakes online.)

[/ QUOTE ]

And this brings up another issue. Since Ram was an idiot for taking Ivey's word on his golfing ability, isn't Ivey also an idiot for taking Ram's word that he has that kind of money to gamble with?

If Ram is responsible for not realizing that he was being lied to by a hustler, then shouldn't Ivey be responsible for allowing a potentially broke guy to freeroll him for a million dollars?
Old 04-19-2007, 04:01 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
am I the only one that thinks that Ram isn't paying because he CANT? I don't think he has a million bucks. He is a loser who goes over his head all the time. (recently demonstrated by playing SBrugby for the highest stakes online.)

[/ QUOTE ]

And this brings up another issue. Since Ram was an idiot for taking Ivey's word on his golfing ability, isn't Ivey also an idiot for taking Ram's word that he has that kind of money to gamble with?

If Ram is responsible for not realizing that he was being lied to by a hustler, then shouldn't Ivey be responsible for allowing a potentially broke guy to freeroll him for a million dollars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this month alone he has lost 500k playing nl with Sbrugby (another game he should never have entered or stayed in for so long) then yesterday Ivey takes some 400k off Sbrugby. Funny how that all works.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:06 PM

rams partner says in his blog they asked what lindgren gave him before they played and they almost didnt start playing until they asked that. rams says later that he didnt ask til they were in the middle of the game. if you believe anything ram wrote ur a sucker he just doesnt want to pay. and anyone who sides with ram is not a golf gambler and should just be quiet. its like your friend tryin to tell you how to play a hand when hes never played poker in his life
Old 04-19-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to decide which side of this argument to be on because they're all obviously lying, degenerate scumbags. It sure is an interesting situation though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-19-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Top,

Yes, it seems more likely to me that Ram believed they were using honest handicaps then for him just being a complete moron to continue playing, because really, why the hell did he keep playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

your kidding right? i mean really, really why the hell does TJ keep throwing dice? why the hell does Barkley keep playing BJ? why does moneymaker keep playing poker...i mean really really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the fact that he plays 300/600 PLO all day made me think that he was a smart guy and not a degenerate gambler.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seems like Ram pulled the biggest hustle of them all, play for high stakes, if you win, get $$$$$$$, if you lose.. dont pay

Gambling is all about getting good betting spots, and there aint no better spot then a freeroll

Ivey should just accept he got hustled and move on

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so true.If Ivey "hustle" is ok then so is Rams,in not paying.

LOL @ Ivey trying to collect after his mark found out he got cheated.

[/ QUOTE ]

ivey obv did a shiitty job of hustling the match. the target should think the match is fair and never even have a chance of thinking otherwise, unless of course hes cool with taking the dog side of the bet. ram is obv not one of those people. taking such a huge edge is just asking for trouble. ivey brought this upon himself by being too greedy.

obv ram is being a bitch here and should pay. dont get me wrong. but the "hustle" was poorly done if you want to keep any type of reputation. if you were going for a one-time big score, never to be seen again, then i suppose it worked, except you better be sure youre gonna get paid.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:32 PM

how much does Ram owe?
Old 04-19-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes exactly.

as much as ram is at fault for assuming that the handicaps were "fair", ivey is at fault for assuming ram would pay if he found out he was hustled. its a dynamic balance between the hustler and the hustled. it all works fine if the hustled accepts the fact that he got took, and pays up and learns his lesson. ivey misjudged ram to be that kinda guy i guess. i dont know how well known ram is in the gambling community. but if he doesnt pay, hes probably not gonna get any action again.