Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Offical Down to 6 We Go AI Thread

[ QUOTE ]
No matter who wins this year, they will be considered the worst idol yet, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you take all of the singers as a whole, this is the worst batch I've seen since I've been watching the show. Individually, Melinda may be the most talented singer I've ever seen on the show. If she wins, it will be interesting to see how she sells herself, but I will guarantee a market for her. She's just too damn good.

The jury's still out on Jordin for me, but if she won she wouldn't match up too poorly at all against Taylor or Ruben imo (and probably Fantasia, although I didn't really watch that season). Blake is interesting from a marketing standpoint... so I don't know how he'd fare against past winners.

If any of the others win, then yes. Chris, Lakisha or Phil would easily be the worst idol yet.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yep. I'm still skeptical that the Jordin group were all the top 3. Chris AND Phil in the top 3 over Melinda? I want to puke.

[/ QUOTE ]
You must have heard something that I missed.

Ryan started by saying he was going to divide the contestants into two groups, top vote getters and bottom vote getters. Then he puts six of them into two groups. He's not done dividing because Melinda isn't in either group yet.

Next he brings Melinda down and asks her which group she is part of. She refuses to choose and Ryan puts Melinda with Jordin, Chris, and Phil. Finally Ryan has completed his job of dividing the top 7 into two groups.

Nothing Ryan said suggests to me that Melinda was fourth. She's just a member of the top four.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right actually, I did miss this. I thought he specifically talked only of the 2 groups of 3, leaving Melinda in the middle. Thanks for clearing that up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that Doolittle was no.1 all along last night. It was confirmed on Oprah today when she called Doolittle the front runner. Doolittle responded by saying "everybody here has been the frontrunner at some point, I'm just going to take baby steps" or something to that effect. So she also believes she was number one last night.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, to the idiots in the thread saying the show is rigged, why on earth would they rig it to knock off Sanjaya, who clearly was generating the most buzz on the show? I called it correctly in the official show thread this week - the guy has been way overexposed, to where voting for Sanjaya for schtick value felt played out, plus he gave a really boring and unentertaining performance. Not a surprise at all that he got booted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was pretty surprised actually... but not shocked. It was always a bit unclear where Sanjaya was vote total wise, I thought he might be more near "safe" these past couple weeks. I am glad though, I didn't take the Phil vs. Sanjaya LL - this was partially based on the fact I couldn't get a read on Phil and he just won't go away wtf [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

If Sanjaya had a halfway decent performance... perhaps he survives. Country was just going to be his worst week...

-Al
Old 04-20-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, to the idiots in the thread saying the show is rigged, why on earth would they rig it to knock off Sanjaya, who clearly was generating the most buzz on the show? I called it correctly in the official show thread this week - the guy has been way overexposed, to where voting for Sanjaya for schtick value felt played out, plus he gave a really boring and unentertaining performance. Not a surprise at all that he got booted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was pretty surprised actually... but not shocked. It was always a bit unclear where Sanjaya was vote total wise, I thought he might be more near "safe" these past couple weeks. I am glad though, I didn't take the Phil vs. Sanjaya LL - this was partially based on the fact I couldn't get a read on Phil and he just won't go away wtf [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

If Sanjaya had a halfway decent performance... perhaps he survives. Country was just going to be his worst week...

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I was loaded up on Sanjaya vs Phil. Not that I thought Sanjaya had any talent at all but I think Phil sucks plus Sanjaya had a following. I laid anywhere from even to 130.
I thought about taking some back at 200 but I didn't. Clearly Country week was a week to bail on Sanjaya but I guess I was just too greedy.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:27 PM

Solo:

[ QUOTE ]
No matter who wins this year, they will be considered the worst idol yet, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure, being a relative AI wagering noob. If Melinda wins I doubt it (although I don't see her winning translating to record sales much beyond the Hicks level).

[ QUOTE ]
Either way, I find it fascinating that a couple of the Idols haven't been very good at all. The shows were entertaining, but in the real world Studdard, Aiken, Hicks..(yes, clay lost, i know)...just haven't dont much.

[/ QUOTE ]

All 3 you mentioned have had mediocre record sales but not outright failure... and of course there's Clarkson and Underwood (and Yamin to a lesser extent). To me it's not very surprising - Idol is predictive but the winners fall prey to a fickle American audience and it's very difficult to be a mega-star in any field.

-Al