Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Why NL is killing limit.

[ QUOTE ]
No limit holdem is way to complex for you Limit players to understand even daving sklansky will agree that no limit holdem is so much more complex then limit holdem. Thats all David kept talking about in his book NLHTAP is about how complex the game is and how he couldent give you a guarantee That he can help you become a instant winner like he could with Limt holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol @ having a thread in a different forum about how you cant beat limit and then saying here that the game you can beat (allegedly) is more difficult.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:32 PM

Your right i cant beat limit but i also cant lose in limit games. I break even or show a slight profit. But ill crush a limit only player if he played no limit with me.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop being sarcastic cardcounter thats not very nice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Stop being dumb, it offends me. Limit (the non-complex game you can't beat) requires different skills.

Look at the example in the other thread, AA getting cracked by 32o. In NL this won't happen because they are going to fold. In Limit, it doesn't matter, because you aren't going to lose your entire stack when your aces gets cracked. Every 240 or so hands, you are going to get AA, and you hope Mr. 32o trys to crack your aces again.

Sure, NL bet half their stack, your aces don't get cracked. In Limit, you can't beat them over the head, you have to play the percentages. So your AA gets cracked, you aren't broke, you will get AA again, in the long run it holds up.

So you play percentages. QTo in mid position. In limit, does this hand have a good enough percentage to limp in? If you flop a T for top pair, and the flop is two-suited, do you have the percentages to raise? In NL you got top pair, bet half their stack, they can't chase the flush. Limit isn't that simple.

You will go broke in Limit just waiting for your pocket pair to flop a set, in NL push all-in right back at the bet-half-their-stack top pair player. Can't do that in Limit, don't have the big stack club and guts to beat them over the head with.

Limit requires small jabs, percentages, and saving or making a small bet here and there. You can play terrible at NL, lose a bunch of small pots, as long as you get the big stack in at the right time and get called, you are okay.

You can't catch up from bad play in limit in one big all-in, catching up from bad play in limit requries that much more good play.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your right i cant beat limit but i also cant lose in limit games. I break even or show a slight profit. But ill crush a limit only player if he played no limit with me.

[/ QUOTE ]Don't you see, I can't lose, I'm Invincible!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 PM

I've seen OP in the mega-micros where I play, .01/.02 in Feb '07 even, and he's in other threads pretending to play 10/20 NL now... WTF

Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 PM

MEGABEAT, a quick Google confirms you to be a long-term .01/.02 player (ouch).

http://www.poker-strategy.org/defaul...p;PostID=28767
http://www.flopturnriver.com/Poker-H...ut-135493.html
http://www.liquidpoker.net/h/98693

I checked my PT db also, I've never seen you at .10/.25 and have no hands on you from when I was .05/.10 on Stars - just .01/.02 only (single tabling?????). You must have passed me up pretty quick.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:34 PM

Default kiss my viscera

For some reason, something like 2/3 or 3/4 of the posts that extoll the virtues of NL over limit include some kind of hyperbolic (at best) claim involving the word "guts".

(I don't know why this is - maybe you're all reading the same book - but these claims invariably use this exact word, "guts". You'd think somebody someday might use a variation like "balls" or "heart" or "intestinal fortitude", but for some reason it never happens...)

But I digress.

As near as I can tell, slinging cards of any sort requires about as much "guts" as flipping burgers. Maybe less in fact: you'll never get a grease burn at the tables.

What NL does require - if you want to win - is intelligence and a bankroll; "guts" is a distant third, if that. It seems to me that the folks who think "guts" is most important lack at least one of the first two.

Best regards,
Jogger
Old 04-09-2007, 09:54 PM

Shame on you, Phantom, for killing the poor guy's cool!

But it's a nice ironic ending for a thread that reveals, step by step, the protagonist in all his glory.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:10 AM

Default Re: kiss my viscera

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason, something like 2/3 or 3/4 of the posts that extoll the virtues of NL over limit include some kind of hyperbolic (at best) claim involving the word "guts".

(I don't know why this is - maybe you're all reading the same book - but these claims invariably use this exact word, "guts". You'd think somebody someday might use a variation like "balls" or "heart" or "intestinal fortitude", but for some reason it never happens...)

But I digress.

As near as I can tell, slinging cards of any sort requires about as much "guts" as flipping burgers. Maybe less in fact: you'll never get a grease burn at the tables.

What NL does require - if you want to win - is intelligence and a bankroll; "guts" is a distant third, if that. It seems to me that the folks who think "guts" is most important lack at least one of the first two.

Best regards,
Jogger

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on what you mean by guts. To me, having guts means acting in a way that is scary, but your head tells you is right. Calling a huge river bet with one pair because every sign points to a bluff with a busted draw requires guts, even if your brain analyzed the situation perfectly. There's always that chance that you're reading the situation wrong and are making a huge mistake, which is what makes big decisions scary. Having moments of insanity is not guts, it's just having moments of insanity.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Re:Mr More

To the original poster:

I don't feel NL is killing limit. If anything, NL has opened people up to other forms of poker and paved the way for a game that is becoming very hot right now, at least with the more astute players, H.O.R.S.E. Not only does this format require you to learn limit skills, you have to learn five different variations on top of that. The noobs are running away from these tables and back home to their books/videos and reading up on limit hold'em, omaha/8, razz, stud, and EOB and then returning to the tables and cleaning up. For those who don't want to get away from NL just yet, you have the Pot-limit hold'em/Pot-limit Omaha mixed games which require yet ANOTHER set of skills. You've also got 1/2 Pot-limit and Cap-limit, spread-limit in a lot of stud games, and so on. NL is not killing limit poker or any other style, it is breathing new life into poker as a whole.