Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: The \"Emperor\'s nose\" fallacy & poker

i'm a little late into this thread but i completely agree with OP. way too often, the opponent's hand isn't even INCLUDED in the hand range (he only makes this move with TT-AA.. WTF ATs?????) but people base decisions off flawed assumptions like that alllll the time.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm a little late into this thread but i completely agree with OP. way too often, the opponent's hand isn't even INCLUDED in the hand range (he only makes this move with TT-AA.. WTF ATs?????) but people base decisions off flawed assumptions like that alllll the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup - very often the things being averaged and reality have no relation whatsoever. Yet the guy doing the averaging, having just done a lot of math, thinks his result means something and acts on it.

Every time I see someone using poker stove, I'm reminded of this little quip from the UNIX fortune file:
[ QUOTE ]

If you put garbage in a computer nothing comes out but garbage. But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine, is somehow enobled and none dare criticize it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-17-2007, 05:12 PM

Umm, somewhere around 700 posts ago I and several other posters noted that your "nugget" at its best was nothing more than "garbage in, garbage out." (See, El Hombre's response to Splawndart's Rantings, p. 437) You rebuked us, repeatedly, claiming that the flaw was not in the use of flawed information obtained reading hands "BUT IN THE PROCESS ITSELF." (Splawndarts Rantings, pg 1,246) I'm glad to see that you now have admitted this was the case,that its as simple as "garbage in, garbage out" and wonder why you spent 500 posts claiming otherwise. In any event, I'll leave this Baby Seal Hunt to other posters.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, somewhere around 700 posts ago I and several other posters noted that your "nugget" at its best was nothing more than "garbage in, garbage out." (See, El Hombre's response to Splawndart's Rantings, p. 437) You rebuked us, repeatedly, claiming that the flaw was not in the use of flawed information obtained reading hands "BUT IN THE PROCESS ITSELF." (Splawndarts Rantings, pg 1,246) I'm glad to see that you now have admitted this was the case,that its as simple as "garbage in, garbage out" and wonder why you spent 500 posts claiming otherwise. In any event, I'll leave this Baby Seal Hunt to other posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

My GIGO refrence is to the process of averaging things that have no relation to reality.

But you knew that, and are just intentionally trying to muddy the waters. An intelectually bankrupt tactic, obviously, and thus not surprising.

Nice day [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2007, 06:28 PM

Looks like I didn't miss much.

[ QUOTE ]
So now Goso's gone off the handle on another oster who's pointing out his weak grasp of theory.

Nice

[/ QUOTE ]
Splawndarts, your arguments have been so thoroughly dismantled by so many people, and on so many occasions, that I think you just do it for attention.

Wherever someone has corrected you or called you out, you invariably respond with nonsense, excuses, contradictions, double-talk, and then cry about people not understanding you.

Also - you can post under whatever name that you want too, and don't even bother to deny it. Every other thread Indiana's been in he's posting right along with you, even has the same typo tendencies and spelling problems that you do.

[ QUOTE ]
An intelectually bankrupt tactic, obviously, and thus not surprising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a blowhard would talk like that, and you're missing an L.

Ok, tired of clowning you today, I'm never off Saturday night and I think I'm going out for a drink. Might be a good idea for you to log off and get out of the house too. Mom probably needs to clean the basement, so give her some space to work.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:33 PM

;-)) Seems you continue to believe yourself this stuff.

I haven't posted actively since Christimas and has done this so far only in Poker Theory where AFAIR Splawn is almost in every thread ;-)

But isn't this just a tactic from your side, so that people don't realize that you are posting under different names? I will write to the admin, just for fun to check it and post the results.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:41 PM

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it - if Splawn was on and I mentioned indianav8, you'd pop up immediately - 5 hours after last posting here. What a coincidence.
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't posted actively since Christimas

[/ QUOTE ]
Splawn registered about a week after Christmas
Old 03-17-2007, 06:43 PM

I love this - Gonso is so completely confused he's seriously trying to claim I"m posing under multiple accounts. I hate to break it to you, buddy, but you're just getting mocked by more than one person. Big difference.

As indianaV8 said, the mods/admins are free to look at the IP addresses and decide for themselves.

Gonso, how about a little prop bet: $5000 says indianaV8 and I come from IP addresses assigned to ISPs at least 100 miles from eachother. You interested?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:44 PM

Apart from some theoretical misunderstandings, arguing to unbelievable extend when you are [obviously or not] not right is the second thing I noticed about you.

Have fun
Old 03-17-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gonso, how about a little prop bet: $5000 says indianaV8 and I come from IP addresses assigned to ISPs at least 100 miles from eachother. You interested?

[/ QUOTE ]

A quick google shows there are ways a person could hide an IP address (not something I know a lot about). But that doesn't really matter, does it, seeing as though you don't have $5k and we both know it. Escrow $2k, or sit at a table, or something... talk to gildwulf in BBV or one of those mods, they're always up for this kind of thing

Too funny, 5 hours later the guy mysteriously appears like Batman or something - some coincidence huh?
Closed Thread