Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: ***ELIMINATION NIGHT - TOP 12 3/8/2007 OFFICIAL THREAD***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it were rigged, I don't think Taylor would have won last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough, although they have backed him when they saw how much support he had.... but you're right, on the surface, you think they'd have backed daughtry or katharine

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of riggedness is the ability to discount votes whenever they want. Whether it was deliberate or not, it is pretty easy to imagine that a lot of Antonella's votes got thrown out. It's not even a conspiracy, it's within the rules.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:59 PM

Hey, Revots.

I have one bone of contention...
[ QUOTE ]
I know the kid has zero stage presence,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it goes beyond zero stage presence. I literally feel uncomfortable watching him on stage. Its negative stage presence. It reminds of... have you ever been to an open mic night at a comedy club, been near the front row, and you're watching a comic totally bomb. The comic keeps making bad jokes but looks you right in the eye... you just feel so awkward.

That's how I feel watching him.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:11 PM

That last song Sanjaya did was pretty good. It was fresh. He's young, so it's forgivable to be nervous and awkward. I feel more uncomfortable when Ryan and the judges are talking to him.

Antonella's votes were from teeny-boppers. They are notoriously fickle. No conspiracy needed.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, Revots.

I have one bone of contention...
[ QUOTE ]
I know the kid has zero stage presence,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it goes beyond zero stage presence. I literally feel uncomfortable watching him on stage. Its negative stage presence. It reminds of... have you ever been to an open mic night at a comedy club, been near the front row, and you're watching a comic totally bomb. The comic keeps making bad jokes but looks you right in the eye... you just feel so awkward.

That's how I feel watching him.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was discussing it with my mother last night, who doesn't have what I would consider a great musical ear. Other than being significantly older, I would guess she is fairly representative of a normal viewer in terms of taste and reaction. Her opinion of Sanjaya was, "I don't know what it is about him. Yeah, he's a terrible singer, but that's not really the biggest problem. He just creeps me out."
Old 03-09-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was discussing it with my mother last night, who doesn't have what I would consider a great musical ear. Other than being significantly older, I would guess she is fairly representative of a normal viewer in terms of taste and reaction. Her opinion of Sanjaya was, "I don't know what it is about him. Yeah, he's a terrible singer, but that's not really the biggest problem. He just creeps me out."

[/ QUOTE ]

You can tell your Mom she's very astute.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF? How could dialidol be so wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
If I recall correctly, about 20 minutes into the Eastern voting DI said:

1. Melinda
2. LaKisha
3. Gina
4. Jordin

<Safety threshold>

5. Stephanie
6. Haley
7. Antonella
8. Sabrina

That looks pretty good to me! After that the voting rate dropped off sufficiently that there were very few busy signals, especially for the lower finishers. DI's vaunted algorithm lost its input signal and the rankings drifted as their time-sensitive algorithm began processing noise.

It's likely that AI has added telephone capacity which hurts DI. It's also likely that calls aren't actually delivered long-distance to a central server. They would save a ton of long-distance money by terminating and counting calls locally in the major metro areas. Busy signals may only be happening in some parts of the country where capacity is inadequate.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also it doesn't account for text message votes and if anyone remembers last year McPhee obviously had a huge texting voting population because of her top 3 fininshes in relation to what dialidol was telling us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is their actually any evidence of this? Or is it mentioned on DialIdol site?

The premise that each contestant will get a similar phone call : text message ratio in total votes makes perfect sense to me. Sure there will be variance but I don't see why it would be very high and dramatically skew DialIdol results (other things will skew DialIdol results tho, see post above mine).

-Al
Old 03-09-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The premise that each contestant will get a similar phone call : text message ratio in total votes makes perfect sense to me. Sure there will be variance but I don't see why it would be very high and dramatically skew DialIdol results (other things will skew DialIdol results tho, see post above mine).

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, and just my opinion, won't contestants with younger fan bases have more text messages... hate to admit that i don't know if they cost extra. if they do, then maybe teenage girls won't be sending them... but the older the voter, i'd think the less likely to send text votes.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, and just my opinion, won't contestants with younger fan bases have more text messages... hate to admit that i don't know if they cost extra. if they do, then maybe teenage girls won't be sending them... but the older the voter, i'd think the less likely to send text votes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah? Then wtf happened to my girl Antonella [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Haha no this makes some sense. But I believe only Cingular subscribers can text votes in anyway - so again I don't think the text impact is that big on overall DI variances.

-Al
Old 03-09-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah? Then wtf happened to my girl Antonella [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Haha no this makes some sense. But I believe only Cingular subscribers can text votes in anyway - so again I don't think the text impact is that big on overall DI variances.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it's rigged or at least heavily massaged, so i guess that makes text vs. phone and reliability of DI somewhat MOOT.