Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Simon mistake

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you were fooled by the audition. That audition was great. I think a poster suggested a while back that he probably had months to prepare for that audition with that song. He had it perfected. But when singing anything else, he is just average at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

There may be another factor as well. Unlike some of the singers who go off-pitch here and there in a song (ex: Phil Stacy), Sundance seems to ride consistantly off - like he is always slightly flat or sharp by x%. This is not an issue when singing acappella like in the audtions - you are by yourself and there is no pitch standard - but a glaring problem when singing with a band.

Sundance has had only one even halfway-decent performance since the audition. I think he was in the bottom two last night along with Phil Stacy (even Sanjaya was better), and it wouldn't surprise me to see him go home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, IMO Sanjaya does not belong in the competition. There is no redeeming quality in any of his "performances". He is obviously way out of his league here even compared to his awful competition.

If it were up to me I send Sanjaya and Sundance home this week. They were both way beyond awful while the others were merely just awful.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:04 PM

Sanjaya had the second most enjoyable performance last night. Richardson was the first. But none of them were actually any good.

I expect Sanjaya to be gone soon. He is probably not picking up any new votes as other contestants leave the show.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:04 PM

Anyone else wonder why they even bother having Hollywood week? Clearly after seeing Sundance and Sanjaya for the last few weeks, the producers are putting people through for demographic reasons compared to talent. I find it impossible to believe that faced with evidence that someone had a good first audition, and sucked every time since then, that a rational judge of talent would say that a person's one good audition outweighs the body of their work since then.

Sundance is terrible, and he has been every week. Past rocker types like Bo, Chris, and Constantine blow this guy out of the water, I can't understand why they hype him each week at all. Makes no sense. Simon was right on when he said the guy sounds like a bar singer.

Sanjaya I can sort of see, but the poor dude is just overwhelmed on the stage. It's sad to watch really.

And after how crappy the guys were last night, I just about fell off the couch when Paula decided to finally be critical, and it's CHRIS SLIGH who she is hard on. The one guy that I thought did well, I was shocked by that. What a weird show sometimes.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:08 PM

Oh, also, I don't know if anyone answered the poster who asked what Simon is meaning by "indulgent" song choices.

What he basically means is that people are choosing songs they want to sing, instead of what would be a good song to sing for the competition itself. Chris Sligh has been a good example of this a couple of times I think, he chooses songs that aren't that well known because he personally WANTS to sing them, even if they aren't great choices for the competition.

Same with Sundance last night. Is Jeremy a good rock song to sing for this particular competition? Not really, IMO. But he probably thought "sweet, I get to sing Pearl Jam on TV, I'd love to do that!" That's indulgent in Simon's view.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:30 PM

[/ QUOTE ] Same with Sundance last night. Is Jeremy a good rock song to sing for this particular competition? Not really, IMO. But he probably thought "sweet, I get to sing Pearl Jam on TV, I'd love to do that!" That's indulgent in Simon's view.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and that was a terrible terrible song choice for Sundance. I'm not sure he could have picked a worse type of song to cover on so many levels. His voice is not even remotely decent enough to take a shot at that song. it just made it even more obvious how bad of a singer he truly is. Sometimes there is a reason why 28 year olds have not made it in the business yet.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:00 PM

Ugh Richardson... decent performance but not alot of movement. I will just hold on to this fool I am not sure what to do here. Oh well - I thought he was one of the better ones (I don't think he's great, and Blake kind of showed me something last night, they are more equal now than I previously thought).

Jared got worse. I guess Brandon had a better performance but Simon got it right by noting he is "nasally" therefore unappealing. Sundance is not a good singer and was, for the 2nd time in 3 performances, beyond pitchy.

Overall though, everyone last night pretty much sucked except Sligh. Is this the weakest Boys field in AI history? Ridiculously bad.

-Al
Old 03-07-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and that was a terrible terrible song choice for Sundance. I'm not sure he could have picked a worse type of song to cover on so many levels. His voice is not even remotely decent enough to take a shot at that song. it just made it even more obvious how bad of a singer he truly is. Sometimes there is a reason why 28 year olds have not made it in the business yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, and besides the fact that he sucked, he probably alienated his fan base with the song choice as well. His best chance was to stick with good-time bar songs like Mustang Sally. By singing a dark Pearl Jam song he likely lost many of the fans who were voting for him previously.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Same with Sundance last night. Is Jeremy a good rock song to sing for this particular competition? Not really, IMO. But he probably thought "sweet, I get to sing Pearl Jam on TV, I'd love to do that!" That's indulgent in Simon's view.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO people have been REALLY indulgent with song choices this year. They just sing songs that they like, which is a TERRIBLE plan if you are trying to win this thing. Sing songs that you can sing well and that people will like unless you admit you have ZERO chance of winning. Nicole Tranquillo was the best example - she was a really good vocalist but picked a ridiculous song and coupled it with a ghastly performance. This week, Sundance was being indulgent by picking a frigin Pearl Jam song, just go out there and sing the same crap that they sing every year, at least you won't be knocking yourself out of the competition with it.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This week, Sundance was being indulgent by picking a frigin Pearl Jam song, just go out there and sing the same crap that they sing every year, at least you won't be knocking yourself out of the competition with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, so true. I swear I could win this damn show if I could sing even a little bit. I just do not understand the song choices people make.

Sundance Head should be singing the Commitments soundtrack, but instead goes for Moody Blues psychedelia and Pearl Jam grunge. Nick Pedro would still be in if he stuck to Sinatra/Bobby Darin standards like "Summer Wind", "Mack the Knife" etc. Nicole Tranquillo lol - wtf was she thinking. Mandisa decides to preach to everyone instead of just belting out something popular. Do they WANT to lose?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This week, Sundance was being indulgent by picking a frigin Pearl Jam song, just go out there and sing the same crap that they sing every year, at least you won't be knocking yourself out of the competition with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, so true. I swear I could win this damn show if I could sing even a little bit. I just do not understand the song choices people make.

Sundance Head should be singing the Commitments soundtrack, but instead goes for Moody Blues psychedelia and Pearl Jam grunge. Nick Pedro would still be in if he stuck to Sinatra/Bobby Darin standards like "Summer Wind", "Mack the Knife" etc. Nicole Tranquillo lol - wtf was she thinking. Mandisa decides to preach to everyone instead of just belting out something popular. Do they WANT to lose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris R is making the most consistent song choices IMO. Plus, his song choice this week will endear him to the country fans. And we know what that does. It gets you votes. Lots of votes. Kelly Pickler is a millionaire now because of those votes.