View Poll Results: slut?
yes 92 74.19%
no 32 25.81%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Pick your salary

Alobar,

There are 3 parts to this.

1) That tent sucks. I'd be surprised if you could put it in the woods and get into out of it once a day for 120 days. Without it becoming a giant leaky sheet.
2) A tent is probably the worst option on a limited budget in the wilderness.
3) That tent will likely become rather wet rather quick in rain.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

1) That tent sucks. I'd be surprised if you could put it in the woods and get into out of it once a day for 120 days. Without it becoming a giant leaky sheet.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I didn't even look that hard, got a freaking 0 degree sleeping bag, and I still had $20 in my budget. Give me an hour or so and I'll find an even better tent and sleeping bag for $100. Let me search some thrift stores or whatever and I could find some used sleeping bags and tents that would be serviceable for 4 months. Plus, do I have to live in freaking Seattle or something? With occassional rain and some brains, you can keep dry in a cheap tent.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, cant you read??

"The 7'x7' Pinon is a 1 room tent that has a rugged polyethylene floor for long term durability."

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, the point is you could find a tent that would fit the bill pretty cheaply, either used or a sale or whatnot. It doesnt gotta be the rolls royce of tents. Same way some piece of [censored] 92' Ford Tempo Isnt going to get you to work in stlye, but for the most part its still going to get you from A to B even if its got some issues.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 AM

BTW, I met a guy while hiking once that hikes the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada every year (5 months, 2600 miles). He carries about 20 pounds worth of gear. He sleeps under a tarp in a lightweight sleeping bag (this is probably really expensive however) and eats mostly a protein powder/oatmeal/trail mix concoction. He'll eat a little nicer when he's in a town. I know this guy is pretty hardcore, but considering he's one of many that do this hike and similar hikes, it goes to show you that you can be healthy enough living out of a tent, especially considering we aren't talking about hiking nearly 20 miles a day.

See this. Two people, 181 days, $3,877.89 including $600 in buses, some not so cheap meals, and enough calories to hike for 6 months.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:05 AM

Can you steal?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 AM

I dont think this is all that bad. I don't see camping as terribly viable if you have to commute to work. Sleeping in the car isnt so bad for 6 months. Spend most of the day in the comfort of an office. YMCA for showers and salvation army for food for first 6 months. Housing can be had for 250 a month after that, rent a room/share an apt no problem. Personal Hygeine stuff can be had from the dollar store as well as the occasional bite to eat. Free stuff can be regularily found by searchin the net from work etc.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To not take the $2500 is almost selfish if your single and healthy. For 3 years of absolute misery you could save millions of people in the future. You may die, but that's inevitable anyway, and if you stay alive you can feed millions,finance research into our worst illnesses,provide clean water to millions. You could accomplish more good in your life than is even quantifiable. If you die, you did so in the noblest of pursuits, and went down swinging to save the world. Better that at 25 or 35, than to waste away at 85 having never achieved anything more than your self comfort.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to do a study on what percentage of people would actually pursue noble efforts with the enormous wealth they achieved. I suspect its prolly a pretty small number.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would use billions for hoverboard research.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:31 AM

I'm not sure if the people who are confident that they could live on $2500 or the idiot who thought you couldn't retire on 1.4M unless you were 60 amuse me more.

No handouts from anyone includes the government, which means it's straight park benches and terrible diseases for you, along with the chance of crime victimization. And that [censored] would go on for 2 years! It better be a very temperate and crime free area to make this close.

If you can't retire on 1.4M after taxes you're probably the main character of a "My Super Sweet Sixteen." Buy a decent house, live middle class life until you die.

A slightly more interesting poll would be "How much money would a genie have to offer you to agree to never engage in any money earning work again?" On second thought, no, that's pretty much a straight "How old are you?" question for everyone but Paris "Thremp" Hilton.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 AM

For those suggesting camping, you do realize that you have no seed money and no possesions to start. This means you would have to save up enough in your wages (~$7 a day) while also maintaining health (i.e. buying enough to eat). Saving your money is ridiculously hard below poverty line.

Also, OP never specified payment period. If this is a normal job, then you're going to get paid every 2 weeks. That causes lots of problems. Payment period is crucial here for the $2.5K option.

That being said, people's definitions of not taking stuff from anyone is starting to get ridiculous. You have gone into a fanciful world where no one would help, you could not ask for help, and all forms of normal behavior are prohibited.

In reality, it would be relatively easy to live off $6/day in most parts of the US, assuming you are paid $6 every day. You could barter your work for a place to sleep, you could pay someone a trivial sum to camp in their yard (or, hit up a church and I'm sure they'd be relatively accomodating). You could buy a knife and kill some birds, eat worms, etc. It's really not that hard, assuming normal society functioning as it does currently.

What most people are doing is making restrictions on normal society and assuming it does not exist, or perverting it in a ludicrous manner. Once you take the bet outside of reality, I'm sure you could make enough restrictions to make it hard to get by on $2.5K/year. But in reality? No question - option 2.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:48 AM

I would take $100 with the doubling method. Give me a cardboard box and a bunch of dumpsters and I will use a quarter to call up VeganMav and ask him how things are done.

$2500 is a no brainer

Freegan lifestyle FTW

At $2500 a year we make $2,684,354,560,000 in our 31st year.

This is effectively sacrificing 7 years of our life so that our family and friends can live comfortably until the universe implodes.

I value my personal utility highly but 2.6 trillion in our 31st year is too much to pass up. I am 23 so by the time I reach the standard retirement age of 65 I will pull down 55 trillion. It would be incredibly selfish to not take the doubling method.