Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: The Well: curtains 3/2/07

[ QUOTE ]
curtains,

Those occurrences at the US Open in Hawaii several years ago were TRUE. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS!

I have a feeling your memory isn't world champ quality b/c you didn't even remember how you got your avatar [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

no comment sir
Old 03-03-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Care to comment some on the Nimzovich Defence?

1. e4 Nc6 2. Nf3 gets very extensive coverage, as that is the single reason I haven't started playing 1...Nc6. When I considered it, it seemed like 2... d6 is passive while 2... d5 is active and tricky but somewhat dubious. Of course 2... e5 is strong as well

What kind of lines would you recommend, particularly after 1. e4 Nc6 2. Nf3 and 1. e4 Nc6 2. d4?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the Nimzowich isn't a great opening, but if you are under 2400, which most people are, it's basically fine.

I mean if you want to transpose to standard e4 e5 openings, you can play 1. e4 Nc6 2. Nf3 e5.

But really I don't know much about the Nimzowich, never played it myself. I recommend 2. Nf3 to my students though. It's just a good opening if you want to avoid normal opening theory, but you aren't going to get some great position out of the opening.

I once recommended it to an old student at my school in Brooklyn. Showed him my favorite line which is 1.e4 Nc6 2. d4 e5 3. d5 Ne7 with the idea of ...Ng6 and Bc5 stuff. I think that position is a fantastic practical position for black, but better players won't play 3. d5 and will instead play 3. dxe5 or 2. Nf3
Old 03-03-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also,

what it do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite sure what you are asking.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 PM

Do you feel like your persona and humor has been misinterpreted a lot during your almost 12k posts? If so, have you cared at all?

Yugoslav
Old 03-03-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you feel like your persona and humor has been misinterpreted a lot during your almost 12k posts? If so, have you cared at all?

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, hard for it not to after so many posts. Maybe cared? I guess I don't like it when it seems like I've insulted someone when I didn't mean to (although in the past I intentionally insulted people many times, wish I didn't really. Always should be a way to get your point across without personal attack, even if someone is saying some really crazy [censored].)
Old 03-03-2007, 09:34 PM

Based on my hands and strategy posts, and what you know of my results*, do you have any guess as to why I seem to be mediocre at SNGs?

* FYI - 12% ROI over a few K $60s, steady decline to breakeven over the next few K, to ugly loser over the last few K. Oh yeah, I have a -5% ROI over 1500 $114s.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on my hands and strategy posts, and what you know of my results*, do you have any guess as to why I seem to be mediocre at SNGs?

* FYI - 12% ROI over a few K $60s, steady decline to breakeven over the next few K, to ugly loser over the last few K. Oh yeah, I have a -5% ROI over 1500 $114s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly you do seem to have a lot of holes/weaknesses. Always felt you make sit and go's out to be a lot more complicated than they are, and doing too many weird fancy things, giving your opponents too much credit and etc.

Even more troubling than this is your tendency to tilt and play at stakes higher than those you should. I know you went busto at some point going crazy with the end of your bankroll. Such behavior should be very very troubling for a poker player.

I'm not sure offhand what the solution is. If you don't have a firm history of success at Sit and Gos, I think it's clear that you should try another game, as sit and gos are only getting more difficult. If I had to guess I'd say that MTT's are more suited to your game, although you still probably need to learn a few things about how to think about poker.

Main keys are to not overestimate your opponents, not to overthink simple situations, not to get involved with weak/mediocre hands on a regular basis, and for SnGs spend more time learning purely mathematical situations...for instance there is no excuse for you to not have the K+S chart memorized. If I ask you the K+S number for something like Q6s, you should be able to almost immediately give a reasonably close estimation. Not sure if you would be able to do this? This is just my quick feeling when thinking back upon some of your posts.

I think you may also gain a lot by experimenting with a VERY tight preflop style for a bit, at least until the blinds get high and you need to steal. But basically yea, I'd suggest switching to MTTs. There is money to be made there too. I don't suggest cash games.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:57 PM

Signing up for ICC, it's asking if I have a promotion code... hey, what am I getting into? Is there rakeback?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:54 PM

Could you give me a link to this chart?
Is it troublesome that I have never heard of or seen this chart, yet I'm playing $114s and $225s?
Old 03-03-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Signing up for ICC, it's asking if I have a promotion code... hey, what am I getting into? Is there rakeback?

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]if there were i would be a billionere [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ok..Q:

blinds 50/100 you have button and t1350, avg 1500,and folded to you
1) A9
2) 55
...?