Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Beat: People think I\'m a Bum. BBV, help me Brag?

i would probably go with "i am retired. now i just travel and play some poker and take it easy".

then if they inquire further, say "i sold a couple paintings to some eccentric billionaire for a couple million. i was high."
Old 02-18-2007, 11:32 PM

jman,

here's what i recommend. just say "i play poker for a living," saying that in an extremely detached, almost resigned tone. in this way you should avoid sounding cocky, but still come off mysterious, secure.

like in your example, don't let them weasel it out, like it's something you're uncomfortable getting into. just say that straight away, "i don't go to school. i play poker for a living."

and if that still doesn't work, think about taking on some other work/studies/interests, because maybe it's what you actually want.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Say you are trying to break into the comedy or writing, but that you have some entrepreneurial activities that pay the day to day bills while you persue what you love. If they ask what, tell them it is boring stuff and that you don't like thinking about it more than you have to make ends meat, much less boring people with the details. You can say it's very lucrative, but that you just hate the grind and hope to break into a nice creative gig soon. If they really persist, say something like "OK. First I need to explain decision making under uncertainty to you..." and start plugging through EV, Baysean statistics, prob/stats, risk evaluation and mitigation, etc. until they agree it is boring stuff or until you get through all that and they seem to understand, then you can say "and what I apply that to is on line poker, at which I earn about $X/hour over the past 3,000 hours of play, but that number is a rough estimate based on history due to the volatility and variance of the game."

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice troll.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:43 AM

Telling people how much you make is lame. Instead, tell them you play 100/200 NL, or whatever. That should give them the idea.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Telling people how much you make is lame. Instead, tell them you play 100/200 NL, or whatever. That should give them the idea. that you are as big a degen as they assumed

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-19-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever anyone asks you in a casual setting like bar party etc. who you just met give a sarcastic answer like, oh Im a chocolate coffee pot salesman and just change the subject (dont steal that one)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to take this line, the correct play is "I'm an astronaut". "Lion-tamer" works too.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
jman,

have you played any live tournies.

ive found that when im having that conversation and the person isnt quite getting it, it helps a lot to mention that you were just in the bahamas or wherever playing in a WPT event.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I could do that, yeah. I suppose that online guys look down on live tourney pros, but regular folk don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally get way more of a reaction out of people telling them that I played in the 2006 WSOP ME than telling them I play for a living. I think probably the most balla thing you could say to a normal person is "I play the WPT circuit".
Old 02-19-2007, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly who cares what other people think. If your making good money and your happy, that should be all that matters. Just say your an investor. If they ask what, tell them that it's a sensitive matter and you have signed a non-disclosure clause. As you do this, check the time on your Patek watch and say "I gotta go meet with potiental investors" and jump in your SL. Don't worry about others; you could be making money instead of wasting your time on trivial stuff like that. Holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I don't own a watch or a car. I've never bought anything over $5k.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a REALLY good thing. I don't know the nuances of your financials, but I'm thinking you are pretty damned well off. To be able to not buy everything in sight is pretty rare when money is flowing in at a young age.

You should probably buy something really nice for yourself though. You have worked hard (I'm assuming) and it would be nice to have something to show yourself. Buy a house.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:39 AM

I just tell people im a probability consultant for a range of websites.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Telling people how much you make is lame. Instead, tell them you play 100/200 NL, or whatever. That should give them the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people would have no idea wtf that means.