Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Marty Schottenheimer fired

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the conflict between Marty and AJ doesn't reflect well on either of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it reflects well on the owner. One of them should have been gone at season end, if not a year ago. Keeping your coach when the GM recommends dismissal is stupid, esp. after Marty turned down the extension. What did the owner think would happen? That Marty's last year would go smoothly and entirely professional?

I still want to know what personnel decisions AJ made that pissed Marty off so much and created that rift.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I JUST HEARD THAT SOME ESPN EXPERT IS SAYING AJ SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED NOT MARTY. WFT. I didn't catch the name, it was an upcoming Sportcenter promo.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter. Smith will be gone right after the draft anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its possible that they fire the architect of the most talented team in the league. Its also possible that right after the draft, global warming will melt the polar icecaps forcing a move to El Cajon.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:41 PM

So looking out two years, after Pete Carroll flops in San Diego, where does he coach? 2009 looks just about right for openings at Penn St., Notre Dame, Florida St. Where else? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2007, 04:33 PM

Carroll won't leave USC..he wants full control of any team he coaches.

I luv how people are so dumb that they actually think the Chargers would suddenly be a terrible or average team if Pete Carroll is coaching them instead of Marty.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Marty, I think, is easily a top 15 coach in the NFL (and probably the best coach out on the market right now).

[/ QUOTE ]

Cower and Parcells >>>> Marty
Old 02-14-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Marty, I think, is easily a top 15 coach in the NFL (and probably the best coach out on the market right now).

[/ QUOTE ]

Cower and Parcells >>>> Marty

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think either of them is legitimately in the market right now. Maybe next year, but not for the coming season.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Carroll won't leave USC..he wants full control of any team he coaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he'd be a fool to leave USC, but I think he will. And he'll have full control when the fire AJ Smith right after the draft.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:31 AM

I thought this was interesting:

Any “reloading” (Smith's word) that needs to be done will largely come through the draft. That is always Smith's preference, and this year he has a first-and a second-round pick as well as two picks in the third round, one as compensation for losing Drew Brees last offseason.

So they got a 3rd rounder for Brees, I think previous posts said Bolts got zip. Obviously probowl qb for 3rd rounder is laughable, but considering AJ got sick RB Turner in the 5th Round, sick LB Phillips in 4th round, freak WR Jackson in 3rd round, all pros Keating and Hardwick in 3rd round, and monster's Igor and McNeil were second rounders, a 3rd rounder isn't total garbage.

So I look forward to the usual first round hits like Rivers, Merriman, Castillo, and Cromartie, and some more stellar late round picks from AJ, after which, of course, accoring to Colt, he will be summarily dismissed.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:07 PM

I think anyone that can sit there and defend the chargers organization for how this was handled and the fact that the firing was "justified" is smoking something.

The handling of this was a joke. Offering a coach a 1 year extension after going 14-2 is ridiculous. The extension was the same as a dismissal and Marty knew it, which is why he turned it down. He would have been a lame-duck coach left in coaching limbo.

I've worked in the business world more than at least some of you, and while business isn't exactly like football, I will tell you this. The very best managers (read coaches) are the ones who's employees go on to promotions and better jobs due to the knowledge and/or work ethic and/or inspiration that you provide. The fact that so many of his assistants went on to promotions elsewhere is a pretty good indicator that he might have SOME idea what he's doing.

The GM waited so long to fire him that now any of the good hires for the position are gone (For instance, an early decision could have put an existing coach, Wade Phillips in the HC Role). This is just horrible horrible horrible business planning no matter how you look at it. Any new head coach will have less time to assemble a team of coaches because most of the coaching hiring/firing has already happened.

AJ made some good draft picks...that might have been skill, it might have been luck. I know that he and Marty disagreed over Brees. Time will tell on Rivers, but I'd side with Marty on this one. You DO NOT get rid of a pro-bowl caliber quarterback that is still young for a prospect who looks good on the practice field. There is no way in hell I would have just released him. I would have tried to lock him up and either keep starting him, or trade a sucessful pro quarterback with a long-term deal to a team that needed one. There are so many horrendous quarterbacks in the NFL I can't see getting rid of a very good one that has started that many games.

If I owned that team, AJ would be gone too...he's an idiot who argued publicly with the coach instead of privately in the club-house and his handling of this couldn't have been more amateurish if he was working as the night-shift manager at Piggly-Wiggly.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Carroll won't leave USC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you were right. He came out and said he's staying put.