Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: The Hip-Hop Thread, or Dids\'s Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums

[ QUOTE ]
Boot Camp! Gotta love 'em. Sean has managed to resurrect his career to some degree, good for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say dude more than resurrected his career Monkey Barz was easily among the best CDs of 2005 I think. Thats pretty decent after a six year layoff (Heltah Skeltah's Magnum Force dropped in 98).

And for what its worth there have been a few BCC mentions earlier in the thread. Enta Da Stage and Dah' Shinin where mentioned.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Here's my Top 10 personal favorites off the top of my head:
1. Nas - Stillmatic:
I know most people consider Illmatic his best work(which it probably is), but I just like the beats better on this album and the energy of his flow.

2. Dead Prez - Let's Get Free:
Not one bad song on this entire album. If they weren't so militant they would probably be more widely recognized as one of the best rap groups.

3. Bone Thugs - E.99 Eternal:
I can listen to this cd straight through without a problem, hard to say that about most albums.

4. Outkast - ATLiens:
Great lyrics and beats.

5. Talib Kweli - Reflection Eternal:
Sorry Dids, but I love this album and think Kweli is one of the best lyricists out right now.

6. Jay-Z - The Blueprint:
Not much to say about this one, just a fun album all the way through.

7. DMX - It's Dark and Hell is Hot
1996-1997 to me had some of the best rap albums and this was definitely a classic with amazing beats.

8. AZ - Aziatic:
I'm not the biggest fan of AZ but for some reason I love this album.

9. De La Soul - The Grind Date:
Very underrated album. Someone else said it before, De La just seems to have so much fun with their albums.

10. Biggie - Life After Death:
I guess I'm the only one who liked this album better than Ready to Die.

Is there any doubt that 1996 was the best year for rap albums though??

ATLiens, Reasonable Doubt, All eyez on me & Makaveli, The Score,Illadelph Halflife(Roots), Ridin Dirty(UGK),Stakes is High(De La),It was Written(Nas), Picture This(Do or Die) etc. etc.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:43 PM

I really like that DMX CD.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:48 PM

seems to me that most of you are a bit older than me, and therefore like older albums, but I also got heavily into rap growing up and have been eating it up since 1997. My first rap album was Big Willie Style, but whatever. I was 11 then and am 20 now. I hope to inject a few newer choices into lists and also do some offshoots like favourite songs and artists. Music and poker are my largest two interests though I am not into creating music at all only listening. I think this post will be very long, and I will prob have more than 10 albums.

Favourite albums (not taking impact into any consideration, simply my favs)

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

This is always the first to come to mind. I seem to never get tired of this, I have listened to it frequently from the first time I heard it and like it every time. Funny though, the very first time I heard it, I didn't like it, but by the third listen I was hooked. The beats are incredible on this and all seem to come together to create an atmosphere that makes this album an experience and not just songs put together. I don't even know what to say about Vast Aire on this album. Disgusting. Vordul's verses on this are sick as well. Favourite song - Raspberry Fields. I love Vast on this one.

Clipse - Lord Willin.

The Neptunes are at the forefront of the mainstream of movement of hip-hop, but they are undoubtedly talented, and I believe they give their best, hardest beats to Clipse. The guys in Clipse are of a rare form of MC that have a certain charisma where the coke dealing cliche rap that they deliver comes off effortlessly and sounds fresh and real. I didn't listen to this for over a year after it was released, but I listen fairly often now. Best song - I probably like the intro the best, mostly because I'm enjoying myself 1 second into the record and I just want to jump in a Ferrari and throw money out the window. haha

Dr Dre - Chronic 2001.

My first choice for drinking/partying. This gets me hyped up every time. Production is fantastic, and the lyrics are ignorantly awesome. Kurupt's verse on XXplosive, haha so great. The part where the woman leaves the message about loving Dre and being his perfect woman, at which point the next song drops and Dre leads off with "I just wanna [censored] bad bitches", that part makes me smile. fav song - Still Dre

Eminem - The Slim Shady LP.

Eminem is an incredible lyricist and shows it off best here. I also love The Marshall Mathers LP, could be that in the place of this. In fact, it might also make my favs list but I'll just leave it in here. Eminem is just a sick lyricist, is entertaining, can tell a story, etc. Gimmicky maybe, but I don't really care when he comes up with stuff like this. Infinite is too amateur and the albums after this are just, ugh. Too far. But these are great. Favourite song - Role Model

Jay-Z, ummmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll go with Blueprint.

I like every one of Jay's albums, even Vol. 2 and Blueprint 2. Blueprint is the most complete, most entertaining, the Pop sounding songs are still good. A case could be made for Reasonable doubt in all of those categories though, but I am more partial to Blueprint, I think mostly because I bought it the day it came out while RD I got some time later. The anticipation/approach you take to an album sometimes means a lot even much later.

K-Os - Joyful Rebellion.

K-Os sings and raps on this, and it all works. Every song is catchy but in a chill out on Sunday way, not a freak some whore in a club way.

Little Brother - The Listening.

9th Wonder and Phonte introduced. 9th's production on this is wonderful, I don't know a lot technically about production but these beats are great. Phonte is extremely charismatic, lyrical, entertaining, basically has the makings of an exceptional rapper. Big Pooh is good too, but Phonte excels. Favourite song - Whatever You Say.

Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor.

Just real laid back, easy to listen to, well put together, interesting album. Lupe has 'it', I expect good things in the future.

Masta Ace - A Long Hot Summer.
Cool concept album but a great rapper with excellent production.

Nas - Illmatic - explanation not needed.

Non-Phixion - The Future is Now

So sick. Dark, twisted, angry, pure NY hiphop by underground artists with production from hip-hop legends and fantastic underground producers at their finest.

Notorious BIG - Ready to Die

So many things about this are good, enough said.

Raekwon and Ghostface - Only Built for Cuban Linx

Scarface in rap form with a soundtrack by Rza.

The Roots - I can't pick. One of my favourite artists, all albums good for different reasons

Royce da 5'9" - Death is Certain

Sleeper hit, I think everyone ignored this after that Rock City crap. I love his anger on this.

Sean Price - Monkey Barz

Listen to this please. Heavy production, and Sean is a great, intense angry rapper to me.

Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle

Ya.

Wu-Tang - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Raw, gritty, dirty. Rza is a genious and Wu-Tang is full of talented rappers with a ton of energy.

Canibus - Rip the Jacker

One of my favourite lyricists, unfortunately most of his albums don't seem to come together well. This one does.

Deltron 3030

Interesting concept album, great obscure lyrics, cool beats

Sorry for the huge list, back later if I feel like it for artists and songs.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:09 PM

nice mention of Royce Nickel, in my eyes he's the best cat out right now. So versatile. He's bounced around a lot attemtping to find his niche, and it's hurt him. Needs a signature album, he's more than talented enough to lay claim to the game. Again, to me, no one is nicer than Royce right now.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:06 AM

lol @
+atmosphere
+co flow
-ready to die

typical dids
Old 02-09-2007, 12:20 AM

Default more

some other artists and albums I like:

DL Incognito - Canadian producer/rapper, 3 albums, check out the songs Audio Coke, Fire Power, Salad, Newera, The Masses

Elzhi of Slum Village - very sick lyricist, some of his verses are wow. check out newer SV stuff, he wasn't always with them.

Fort Minor - guy from that linkin park, very good album 'The Rising Tied'

Ghostface makes very good albums. Check out Pokerface from More Fish for an entertaining poker song.

Grafh, Saigon, Papoose, Ali Vegas, Corey Gunz - excellent up and coming gangsta types

Immortal Technique - sick. Dance with the Devil gives me the shivers

J-Live - Walkman Music is my theme song

J-Zone - entertaining guy, clever unique production

Jaylib (Jay Dee and Madlib) - Could have included Champion Sound on my fav albums list

Jedi Mind Tricks - tons of good [censored], Animal Rap prob my favourite of their songs

I'm sure everyone's heard of Kanye West, but my fav song of his is actually not on his albums, its called 'Home', or 'Coming Home'

Louis Logic has some good stuff

I love the Madvillain album. For the guy that complained that Aesop tries to be clever but often says nothing, this guy achieves it, so many ridiculous referencing and wordplay its fun to listen to.

Mobb Deep's early stuff was great. So dark and well done.

Q-Tip's Amplified is a good listen, underrated I would say

Quasimoto (Madlib) has some trippy stuff that works, Greenery is a real cool song to me

Ras Kass - so good, albums not so good. doesn't care about beats too much it seems but one of my favourite lyricists

RJD2, Pete Rock and DJ Shadow have cool instrumental [censored] I like to listen to

Saukrates - The Underground Tapes is very good

Blueprint seems to come out with a lot of solid stuff. The albums with RJD2 and 1988 are both good, in fact you guys should check out 1988, I think a lot of you would like it.

Copywrite is a very good lyricist, his mixtapes are good

Atmosphere - one of my favs, I like all of their albums, can't pick one. Slug's self deprecation and depressed [censored] is cool with me.

Aesop Rock - I can dig him, I could see how one could get tired of him or not like him though

Buc Fifty - Nigga Heaven is a dark and nice album

Dabreye's Two/Three is a good one

Just felt like people may not have heard of those ones or I just wanted to comment on them. This is a cover-all hiphop thread right?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:14 AM

Default Re: more

New Kingdom "Heavy load"

Were they big in the States ?

This album is stoned hip-hop, like Cypress Hill but
a much heavier sound.

Tx.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:22 AM

Does anyone else here favor cadence, worldplay and flow over things like substantive rap?

Lil' Wayne's play with sounds and words is what really draws me to him, not his beats or substance (which admittedly is terrible). On the other hand, Jay's ability to combine witty worldplay and incredible flow with some substance I think makes him head & shoulders above anyone else - too bad alot of Kingdom Come was filler.

But of my truly truly favorite rappers....

the Clipse has to earn a nomination too. Any seperate category for best as metaphors and punchlines?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else here favor cadence, worldplay and flow over things like substantive rap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was speaking on that above. I wouldn't say style over substance, but they are equal components. I think a lot of folks who analyze/appreciate rap fail to see it in its equal role as party music. These same people rarely go out to big clubs to see the effects of certain songs with crowd response. There is also often a racial divide between artist and critic.

Wayne has stepped his game up. Seriously. I mentioned Cam for his endless metaphors and wordplay, and I appreciate Royce for many of the same qualities, although he has the ability to broach deeper topics as well.

I for one definitely feel what you are saying, as it's mood dependent. Cadence pulled me to Cham many years ago when he was killing mixtapes.