Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Things OOT has taught me/DC area info/good info to know.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can hook you up with a ridic jazz club..

[/ QUOTE ]

Share please.

[/ QUOTE ]

HR57 is not a club-club per se, it's a jazz & blues preservation society. They also serve some saucey southern food at hella low prices. If you like jazz clubs for the music and not as bars that happen to have jazz, you should dig it. They sell alcohol, but it's also BYOB and you can bring in other stuff like food or ice cream or whatever you want.

I'm likely to be there tomorrow night, as a matter o fact.

sup bro?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll probably be going to this club tonight so...holla if you see a bald guy with a hawt beard on a date.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can hook you up with a ridic jazz club..

[/ QUOTE ]

Share please.

[/ QUOTE ]

HR57 is not a club-club per se, it's a jazz & blues preservation society. They also serve some saucey southern food at hella low prices. If you like jazz clubs for the music and not as bars that happen to have jazz, you should dig it. They sell alcohol, but it's also BYOB and you can bring in other stuff like food or ice cream or whatever you want.

I'm likely to be there tomorrow night, as a matter o fact.

sup bro?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll probably be going to this club tonight so...holla if you see a bald guy with a hawt beard on a date.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, just read this. I spent the evening at the 930 club else I would have stopped by and dropped of a sup bro? Perhaps next time, or maybe we can welcome Shajen to town there if we get enough positive reviews.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:39 PM

It was awesome thanks for the rec. I went to Merkado first and had the chili rellenos with the goat cheese. Nice, but soupy. Got gaucamole and chips too and it rocked. Her enchiladas were tight. The jazz spot was sexy and I like the fact that they play jazz movies between sets. It was a little annoying that the main floor is full of big groups yammering during the music, hence it might not be a good bar crawl spot. But it was the prefect post date stop-off, dark and romantic with a bottle of Chimay. This thread delivers, etc.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
variety of restaurants in DC is poor

[/ QUOTE ]

Washington is the only city I've ever lived in (I grew up in rural Vermont). Is the above really true? It seems like we have all kinds of different cuisines here.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not true at all.

D.C. has a really wide range of places, but you have to go looking further than Georgetown. The downtown area has some good places, but if you're willing to look around you'll find just about anything. Small neighborhoods have cheaper and more diverse places (try Mount Pleasant for some good Salvadorean food, for instance).

Overall, really, D.C. is a great restaurant town. It has a lot of good chefs and a few who are among the best in the world.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there still a restaurant called 1789 in the Georgetown area?

I went there in the late 90s with my psycho hell bitch ex-wife, and despite the company, it may well have been the best meal I have ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 1789 is 4 stars and very expensive from what I hear...back when I went to gtown I'd rather stumble down the stairs and drink cheap at the Tombs...

[/ QUOTE ]

I went there with my family after graduation. There is a new chef, who is apparently better than the old one. Very good.

Anyone doing Restaurant week? I'm heading to Kinkead's for lunch and either Corudory or Cafe Atlantico for dinner (have reservations at both, but will only keep 1.

I live only 2 blocks from Creme on U street, but have only been there for brunch. I'll need to check out dinner.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was awesome thanks for the rec. I went to Merkado first and had the chili rellenos with the goat cheese. Nice, but soupy. Got gaucamole and chips too and it rocked. Her enchiladas were tight. The jazz spot was sexy and I like the fact that they play jazz movies between sets. It was a little annoying that the main floor is full of big groups yammering during the music, hence it might not be a good bar crawl spot. But it was the prefect post date stop-off, dark and romantic with a bottle of Chimay. This thread delivers, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Merkado is soooooooo good. I am envious of your recent visit. Glad you liked HR57 - yeah I forgot to mention the little movies between sets, those are the bomb. I'm guessing you didn't try any of the food there since you hit Merkado first, but you may want to try it out next time.

Another good date place with a completely different selection is Teaism. That's a great place for a first date, actually. Laid back, eclectic selections, and you can hold a conversation easily. It's kinda like Tryst, except without the loud and noisy aspect, and you can actually find parking. Get the salty oat cookie, trust me. The big one is in Dupont, so you can walk over to Anna Maria's for a nice romantic tiramisu or something afterwards.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:55 PM

I forgot to mention, if you haven't checked out the Fractured Prune, a crazy donut shop that just opened at 22 and P, you should.

http://www.fracturedprune.com/
Old 01-06-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone doing Restaurant week? I'm heading to Kinkead's for lunch and either Corudory or Cafe Atlantico for dinner (have reservations at both, but will only keep 1.

I live only 2 blocks from Creme on U street, but have only been there for brunch. I'll need to check out dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Order the pork & beans at Creme and thank me later. I could have sworn they were no longer open for anything but dinner..

I've got Restaurant Week lunch or dinner reservations at: Blacksalt, Acadiana, Dish, Ceiba, Sake Club, and Circle Bistro. I want to do Cafe Atlantico and Corduroy, but haven't found a good time slot for either.

I wish Oceanaire were doing lunches. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

If you haven't been to Kinkead's before... oh man are you in for a treat. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to mention, if you haven't checked out the Fractured Prune, a crazy donut shop that just opened at 22 and P, you should.

http://www.fracturedprune.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

I drove past there a few weeks ago, thought to myself "I wonder what the heck the Fractured Prune is" then promptly forgot about it.

I am not really a fan of sweets, but that Blueberry Hill looks like a forbidden delight, indeed.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some special shout outs:

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead to me.

Oh
Oh
Tee

[/ QUOTE ]

hey whatever, I showed up at your house dude, and you weren't there. YOU WEREN'T THERE!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] mmbt0ne

update:

Wife and I found a nice little 3br 3.5 bath townhome in kingstowne (alexandria). She also got a job too, so that's cool. We'll be up on the 20th, once we get everything settled and normal, I'll bump this thread for a "who wants to buy shajen a beer" post.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]