Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Children of Men

Buck and Phill,

Can you guys please elaborate on this a bit more? My opinion, as of now, is that this is nothing more than a cool concept, done very well, chase movie. That limits it's "greatness" to me.

So please explain why. Also Phill, a couple of people have described it as a chase movie, so it's not just some lone random opinion.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im confused - has this only just come out in the US?

And yes, it was one of the best movies of 2006.

Lol @ whoever said this was a chase movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

premise: its the future..women infertile.
clive has to take the last pregnant woman to the ocean so she can get on a boat so that...uh we dont know but whatever..its not about that.

the entire movie...clive and preggy try to evade bad guys/government while getting to boat in ocean.

aka they are trying to get X, baby, to Y,boat, while being chased by bad guys and evading government.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I just got back from watching COM.

I thought the movie was fairly good, and gripping is a fair word to describe it. But Will and Dominic seem to give it such praise, and I can't see why. Can you guys maybe explain a bit more? Put spoiler headlines if you need to. I came away feeling a bit underwhelmed.

I thought the movie itself was very "well done", Owen did a great job, etc., but still I was not that satisfied.

And the scene being referred to, is that Owen's approach to the building with the captive baby? It seems obvious, but I just want to confirm. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I felt underwhelmed too.
But the cinemetography etc. was great.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im confused - has this only just come out in the US?

And yes, it was one of the best movies of 2006.

Lol @ whoever said this was a chase movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

premise: its the future..women infertile.
clive has to take the last pregnant woman to the ocean so she can get on a boat so that...uh we dont know but whatever..its not about that.

the entire movie...clive and preggy try to evade bad guys/government while getting to boat in ocean.

aka they are trying to get X, baby, to Y,boat, while being chased by bad guys and evading government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I think the director had some cool ideas and stuff (like randomly re-creating the cover of Pink Floy'd Animals) which lead nowhere and represented little subtance. None of the relationships among the characters seemed to click, and the best actors in the movie (Caine, Moore) were marginalized, their characters rendered limp.

And yeah, the premise--whatever makes the birth of some tramp's kid the key to civilization's future--is never explained. Even as a chase movie, it sucked.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yep, I think the director had some cool ideas and stuff (like randomly re-creating the cover of Pink Floy'd Animals)

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that part was awesome.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:22 AM

Very good movie, and Cuaron is a visual master, no question.

But I thought The Proposition ('05?) was quite a bit better, Good Shepherd & Apocalypto a little bit better, and Departed better by an eyelash. And I actually liked Hollywoodland quite a bit, tho it was far from perfect.

WTF, Last King of Scotland?

My two favorite movies of the last ten years are Rivers & Tides and Last Orders.

I am deeply ashamed to have never seen City Of God, no excuse... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2007, 12:34 AM

[quote
Children of Men isn't The Fountain

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You didnt like this movie? I thought it was very good. Definitely in my top 5 for the year.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You didnt like this movie? I thought it was very good. Definitely in my top 5 for the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I meant when's it coming out? Sorry for the confusion. Trailer looked great and Forest Whitaker, well, he's The Ghost Dog. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I meant when's it coming out? Sorry for the confusion. Trailer looked great and Forest Whitaker, well, he's The Ghost Dog. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw about 2 months ago in the only theater in my area that gets the limited release films. I have no idea when or if it coming out in wide release. Whitaker definitely deserves all the award attention he is getting. Hope you get to see it soon.