Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a Québec separatist

[ QUOTE ]
Your ideals are so much better and greater than mine. Congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

My ideals include recognition of Quebec as a distinct society in Canada. Your ideals prevent others from outside of Quebec to even listen to your side.

You haven't demonstrated any understanding of the history of the province, the causes of the Separatist movement, or the issues currently under debate. I grew up in Nova Scotia and live in Toronto and I appear to know more about the Quebec separatist movement than you. This should frighten you and spur you to action, but I doubt it will.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, Québec hasn't signed the 1982 constitution.

[/ QUOTE ]

And for the last 25 years, they pull that out as an excuse to do whatever the [censored] they want, the law be damned.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be noted, at least so far as I know, that no federal state in the world (and there are a lot of them), requires unanimity among the sub-national units (provinces, states, ...) to pass law, even constitutional law. So the 'we didn't sign it, we aren't bound to it' argument doesn't fly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true now, but wasn't always so. Just after the revolutionary war (actually probably while it was still going), the US was under the Articles of Confederation. Under the Articles, to make changes required unanimous approval of all 13 states.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which border do you think you're entitled to? What do you think would happen if Canada laid claim to the St. Laurence Seaway?

[/ QUOTE ]Current borders. I think in international law there would be no legit claim for that.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which border do you think you're entitled to? What do you think would happen if Canada laid claim to the St. Laurence Seaway?

[/ QUOTE ]Current borders. I think in international law there would be no legit claim for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure there would. Canada could just say "if you separate, these are the new borders". What are you going to do about it?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sure there would. Canada could just say "if you separate, these are the new borders". What are you going to do about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Play a 7 game Quebec vs. Canada hockey series to settle the border dispute? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Play a 7 game Quebec vs. Canada hockey series?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point? They'd lose that, too.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would make sense. If Canada set the borders of the province in the first place, what would stop the federal government from reassigning the borders just before separation?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What's the point? They'd lose that, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL. I don't know which "Ask me about..." thread is funnier. This one or Tyler Durden's "selling knives" thread.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's where your separatist fantasies fall apart. The Outaouais will never vote to separate, nor will the majority of Montrealers, as well as northern Quebec (which comprises 60% of your territory, including your prized hydro-electric dams).

If you think that the rest of Canada will sit back while you disenfranchise our citizens, you're dreaming. It'll never happen.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:19 PM

CasqueNoir,

I think one of the biggest reasons separation is not good is because Quebec takes French as the main language it creates international trade barriers with English speaking countries...
USA will likely trade more with English speaking Canada then Quebec.

*did not read entire thread, not sure if this has been discussed.