Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 08:20 AM

Default Re: New Fight Question

I pretty much know nothing about fighting, but one thing is confusing me.

To all you guys who are saying the MMA guy could just start on his back, why would his opponent come anywhere near him when he's in that position?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to agree, based on that short clip.
As the UFC guy came in with his fists, a 19 year old Tyson would have him flat out one punch inside and through his jaw - game over.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much would boxing change if you couldn't strike to the torso area? A lot, right? Different stance, different defense, different footwork, etc...

How much would it change if you allowed elbows, takedowns, kicks, knees, etc? It wouldn't be boxing anymore, as you know it.

I can't disagree with what you said, but just keep that in mind.

Fedor could be coming in feigning takedown, their opponents hands go down to catch his shoulders, and then he starts punching.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much know nothing about fighting, but one thing is confusing me.

To all you guys who are saying the MMA guy could just start on his back, why would his opponent come anywhere near him when he's in that position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh - I guess you've got a stalemate. Why would the MMA guy stand back up?

I've actually seen something similar to this a couple times in MMA fights, when you've got a superior grappler vs a superior striker. In real fights, the ref stands them both up and resumes. It gives a bit of an advantage to the good strikers, but striking is better for TV.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
World's most elite Navy Seal as far as hand to hand combat is concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this include other special forces, specifically I'm thinking the SAS, or is this world's most elite, using the term world in the same sense as the baseball World Series?
Old 12-02-2006, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to agree, based on that short clip.
As the UFC guy came in with his fists, a 19 year old Tyson would have him flat out one punch inside and through his jaw - game over.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much would boxing change if you couldn't strike to the torso area? A lot, right? Different stance, different defense, different footwork, etc...

How much would it change if you allowed elbows, takedowns, kicks, knees, etc? It wouldn't be boxing anymore, as you know it.

I can't disagree with what you said, but just keep that in mind.

Fedor could be coming in feigning takedown, their opponents hands go down to catch his shoulders, and then he starts punching.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I watched the Fedor highlight reel, and saw how ridiculous he looked, but then realized that if he WERE fighting a young Iron Mike he wouldn't come in with such a haphazard flailing attack. The attacks I was watching were probably effective because he was fighting unskilled (relatively) strikers. Why make it hard when the berseker style is effective?
Old 12-02-2006, 09:13 AM

Some youtube:
Tyson vs Spinks
Muay Thai
Fedor
Kimbo
Old 12-02-2006, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some youtube:
Tyson vs Spinks
Muay Thai
Fedor
Kimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

BAM! Awesome. I was getting into the discussion but was too lazy to do all this.

edit: Man I love Mike. It's so damn sad what happened to his life and his mental health. He almost made it.

Incapacitating punches
Old 12-02-2006, 10:23 AM

figured a pretty submission should be included in that list... watch the slowmo
Old 12-02-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
figured a pretty submission should be included in that list... watch the slowmo

[/ QUOTE ]

wow so fast
Old 12-02-2006, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why in the world do people think navy seals and special forces guys are superhumans at hand to hand weaponless combat. they are trained killers of course, but they rely on stealth and technology. they are definitely in great shape and mentally tough, but thinking they can win against an MMA fighter or get boxer or martial artist is folly.

we had a few seals come to learn jiu jitsu and thai boxing, and they were some of the coolest guys ive ever met, no ego at all, willing to learn, and when they first came, they got their asses handed to them but they learned very fast. but still they were far outclassed and usually got tapped out within seconds against the top jiu jitsu students

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but that was also fighting within the rules of that style and it was not a death match. If the SEALs had been trying to *destroy* one of three targets: eyes, throat, or groin, the results might have been entirely different. You're viewing them as fighting a style that they are new to, with new limitations. Put them versus a boxer or Brazilian jujitisu practitioner with the only rule being that whoever first *destroys* the opponent's eyes, throat or groin, wins the match, and maybe the outcome would be different. As I wrote, I personally know a SEAL who unarmed beat 3 guys with knives who were trying to mug him on a dark street. And one of the guys he killed in that encounter. That doesn't mean SEALs are superhuman or anything like that but some of you are understimating them as well as viewing them through a lens that is not their forte. Of course a boxer will beat a SEAL under boxing rules, and a jujitsu practitioner will beat a SEAL under jujitsu rules. A no-holds-barred death match is another matter though. Just because you can destroy a guy at hold'em doesn't mean you can beat him at H.O.R.S.E., especially if the loser must lose his life.