Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Final Results and postfight thoughts: UFC 63

[ QUOTE ]

Silva can strike, but he has no ground game.

[/ QUOTE ]

silva is world famous for his spider guard. i dont see franklin with any real advantage on the ground. i do think franklin has better takedowns than silva, but in the clinch i give the edge to silva so who knows.

ill put a bill on silva if he opens better than +300 tho.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You think Franklin is gonna make it past Silva?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swick fight went my direction but I don't feel that Swick is ready to go to the next level. I think Franklin will absolutely tear Swick apart. Hopefully they give Swick one more fight to hone his skills before letting Franklin demolish him. We saw how tentative Loiseau was in the first two rounds, and I think thats directly a result of Franklin pounding him so hard last time. I'd hate to see Swick go in, get pounded, and falter the way Loiseau has.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously have no clue. Silva is a Brazilian JJ black belt and trains with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. What are you basing your opinion on? The fact that he got flying scissor heel hooked? Gimme a frickin break. He beat Jeremy Horn who is no slouch on the ground so get outta here with your he has no ground game crap.

BTW I think Franklin will win that fight.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You obviously have no clue. Silva is a Brazilian JJ black belt and trains with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. What are you basing your opinion on? The fact that he got flying scissor heel hooked? Gimme a frickin break.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was going to mention that japanese B level fighters are his kryptonite but felt that was getting too granular.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:02 AM

Default B.J. didn\'t gas...he got injured

BJ:
I felt great going in, Matt started trying to take me down from my right leg, it's something I expected he might do. He got me down against the fence, but I was thinking about this position alot and I was ready. When he went for a big elbow, he missed and I capitalized and started going for his back. At this moment, when I was making the turn towards his back, I felt my ribs seperate on my right side. Although I didn't know the severity of the situation. I was thinking I have to finish him now because I knew something was wrong. Matt defended himself well and got through the round. When I got up to walk to my corner, I knew something was wrong, but I didn't want to talk about it with my corner. I wanted to be the champ. I wanted to keep fighting.

Interviewer:
What about round 3?

BJ:
I remember standing up out of the corner in pain. But I was thinking, "Earn your title this is what you have to do to get your belt back, fight through the pain". I knew the oppurtunity I had with getting this fight, especially after losing my last fight. I wasn't going to quit on the corner. I kept going because I honestly believed it was destiny. When me and Matt were boxing I felt like I couldn't breathe and had no mobility in my core. But I kept thinking something good is going to happen. When Matt started dominating the stand up I tried for a takedown. I had nothing and pulled to guard. I felt like I couldn't do anything on the ground. But I was still positive. Matt hit me in the ribs from half guard. The pain was so excruciating I had to use my far hand to block it. I would rather Matt pass my guard and punch my face the hit my ribs. When Matt was in his favorite position that he likes. I was still thinking I was going to win somehow. Big John gave me plenty of time. I practiced defending against that position with flexibility, but I had none with my core. Even when Big John stopped the fight, I was still so positive I thought I escaped. Congratulations to Matt, he is a great fighter. It's not his fault that that happened, he fought like the champion he is. He deserved the victory.

This makes a lot more sense. When I watched the fight originally, and after watching it again...it is clear something happened. You don't go from one second completely dominating, to the next not being able to hardly move.

It's really a shame, because I don't know about you guys, but I've never seen Hughes get dominated for 2 rounds like that. If Penn decides to not change weight classes (like he's said he will), I'd love to see another fight between the 2...quite possibly the 2 best p4p fighters in the world.

Swick won the fight, but looked pretty pathetic in doing it. He never hurt The Crow, and was in pretty serious trouble in the 3rd round. Not sure what The Crow does now though, given that he's clearly lost all confidence in himself.

Pulver sank me, giving my first losing card of the year, but it was a small loss with Evans, Guillard, Griffin, Gurgel, and Huerta all doing what they were suppose to.

The Penn fight made the card. Otherwise was a rather boring set of fights. 64, and 65 have some potential though...so hopefully more good things to come.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:21 AM

Default Re: B.J. didn\'t gas...he got injured

Can you guys link to other articles/writers that provide good analysis of the fights. I would love to read other breakdowns of the competition.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swick fight went my direction but I don't feel that Swick is ready to go to the next level. I think Franklin will absolutely tear Swick apart. Hopefully they give Swick one more fight to hone his skills before letting Franklin demolish him. We saw how tentative Loiseau was in the first two rounds, and I think thats directly a result of Franklin pounding him so hard last time. I'd hate to see Swick go in, get pounded, and falter the way Loiseau has.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously have no clue. Silva is a Brazilian JJ black belt and trains with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. What are you basing your opinion on? The fact that he got flying scissor heel hooked? Gimme a frickin break. He beat Jeremy Horn who is no slouch on the ground so get outta here with your he has no ground game crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Silva has never submitted anyone, and he has been submitted by one mediocre fighter and one total bum. "No ground game" was harsh - he isn't Mark Hunt. But I don't think he is at all dangerous to a decent fighter on the ground, and Franklin is.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:33 AM

Sherdog.com is far and away the best MMA site out there, in my opinion.

The Penn interview was posted on his blog, bjpenn.com but was linked from the Sherdog forums...
Old 09-25-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sherdog.com is far and away the best MMA site out there, in my opinion.

The Penn interview was posted on his blog, bjpenn.com but was linked from the Sherdog forums...

[/ QUOTE ]Do you believe Penn? I watched the replay many times and I dont ever see him grabbing his ribs in pain. However, he does look like he is going to pass out. It looks like he would have fallin over on his own in the 3rd round.

I lost a little respect for Hughes after his comments after the fight.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BJ:
I felt great going in, Matt started trying to take me down from my right leg, it's something I expected he might do. He got me down against the fence, but I was thinking about this position alot and I was ready. When he went for a big elbow, he missed and I capitalized and started going for his back. At this moment, when I was making the turn towards his back, I felt my ribs seperate on my right side. Although I didn't know the severity of the situation. I was thinking I have to finish him now because I knew something was wrong. Matt defended himself well and got through the round. When I got up to walk to my corner, I knew something was wrong, but I didn't want to talk about it with my corner. I wanted to be the champ. I wanted to keep fighting.

Interviewer:
What about round 3?

BJ:
I remember standing up out of the corner in pain. But I was thinking, "Earn your title this is what you have to do to get your belt back, fight through the pain". I knew the oppurtunity I had with getting this fight, especially after losing my last fight. I wasn't going to quit on the corner. I kept going because I honestly believed it was destiny. When me and Matt were boxing I felt like I couldn't breathe and had no mobility in my core. But I kept thinking something good is going to happen. When Matt started dominating the stand up I tried for a takedown. I had nothing and pulled to guard. I felt like I couldn't do anything on the ground. But I was still positive. Matt hit me in the ribs from half guard. The pain was so excruciating I had to use my far hand to block it. I would rather Matt pass my guard and punch my face the hit my ribs. When Matt was in his favorite position that he likes. I was still thinking I was going to win somehow. Big John gave me plenty of time. I practiced defending against that position with flexibility, but I had none with my core. Even when Big John stopped the fight, I was still so positive I thought I escaped. Congratulations to Matt, he is a great fighter. It's not his fault that that happened, he fought like the champion he is. He deserved the victory.

This makes a lot more sense. When I watched the fight originally, and after watching it again...it is clear something happened. You don't go from one second completely dominating, to the next not being able to hardly move.

It's really a shame, because I don't know about you guys, but I've never seen Hughes get dominated for 2 rounds like that. If Penn decides to not change weight classes (like he's said he will), I'd love to see another fight between the 2...quite possibly the 2 best p4p fighters in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its amazing the lengths BJ will go to to make excuses for his poor conditioning. In the fight with GSP it was his knee, this time it was his ribs. I just don't buy it. This is a case of an incredibly gifted and talented natural who lacks the discipline and drive to train himself to be a champion.

He gassed, plain and simple, anyone who has ever watched a fight can tell you that. He went from winning the first 2 rounds to getting stoped in the 3rd because he burned out his legs, came out flat, got taged with some very hard punches, put on his back and KTFO'd. The fact that he's making excuses Monday morning instead of taking responsibility for his lack of training and dedicating the next year of his life to getting into sick shape (ie: stop living like a king in Hilo, go to Big Bear, and train with Tito or Rampage or Barnett) just shows he's a spoiled, unmotivated head case. Until he admits the problem and does something about it, he'll remain an incomplete a-/b+ level fighter, good enought to get a shot at the top, but not good enought to win a belt.