Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Re: A few ways to improve the NFL.....

[ QUOTE ]
Its not rocket science folks. If you put a chip in each tip you can tell if any part of the ball crosses the goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the ball crossed the line sideways? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its not rocket science folks. If you put a chip in each tip you can tell if any part of the ball crosses the goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the ball crossed the line sideways? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could still tell. The dimensions of the ball are known and the position of the points would allow you to know if any part was over the line. The problem with all of this is you still need some way of knowing when the play was blown dead.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Make pass interferance plays reviewable. No way should one ref be able to give 20/30/40+ yard penalty and the play not be reviewable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better than this - make pass interference a set penalty. Instead of "Where the foul occurred", make it 10 or 15 yards. That makes it far more fair, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not good and less fair. It allows the defender, when getting beat deep, to take out a receiver thus gaining dozens of yards. That isn't fair to the offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so this is not exactly what I meant.

I wasn't thinking about "flagrant fouls", like grabbing the guy and taking the 15 yard penalty.

My new opinion, after a bit more thought, is to have a two-tier type penalty system for pass interference. If it's just a small foul (like most of them), such as hitting the hands, or a small hold, then it's a yardage penalty. If it's a flagrant foul, then it's the current rule.

AFAIC, some of the 50 yeard pass intereference penalty's are ridiculous, especially in cases where the receiver may not even have caught the ball unimpeded.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AFAIC, some of the 50 yeard pass intereference penalty's are ridiculous, especially in cases where the receiver may not even have caught the ball unimpeded.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the ball is uncatchable there is no call regardless of contact, obviously anything that has a chance has to be called
Old 09-09-2006, 08:38 PM

as it stands right now kickers are way too important in the NFL, I'm not pretending to know a good solution to this though without changing the game dramatically so ill leave it at that
Old 09-09-2006, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as it stands right now kickers are way too important in the NFL, I'm not pretending to know a good solution to this though without changing the game dramatically so ill leave it at that

[/ QUOTE ]

Solution, make FGs worth 2 points. Teams "settle" for FGs because they're worth 3 points. Being only worth a safety might make them change their mind. (P.S. I don't think they're too important, but if you do, reducing the value is the obvious solution.)
Old 09-09-2006, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Kicking field goals is overrated. The other parts of special teams are very underrated (kickoffs and punts).

Neway, OT is the worst thing about football, and there are plenty of awesome ways to make it better (I like my 4 point idea and ideas that make field position fairer (bid idea) or abolishing it completely).
Old 09-09-2006, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Solution, make FGs worth 2 points. Teams "settle" for FGs because they're worth 3 points. Being only worth a safety might make them change their mind. (P.S. I don't think they're too important, but if you do, reducing the value is the obvious solution.)

[/ QUOTE ]Another solution would be to put restrictive substitution rules in place that would require that the kicker also be a regular player.

For example you could make the rule that there are 22 "active" palyers. In order to put a "bench" player into the game, one of the "active" players would be required to leave the game and not return. This would elimintate specialization except for offence/defence.

However, I don't think kickers are too important, so I actually think this idea is bad.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if the ball is uncatchable there is no call regardless of contact, obviously anything that has a chance has to be called

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say uncatchable. But, there are certainly plays where catching the ball is in doubt.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Neway, OT is the worst thing about football, and there are plenty of awesome ways to make it better (I like my 4 point idea and ideas that make field position fairer (bid idea) or abolishing it completely).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Any of these ideas would be better than anything that is currently in place in football at any level.

My preference:

No overtime in the regular season. Bid for starting field position in the post season. However, if this were combined with a best 2 of 3 superbowl, then there would again be no need for overtime until the end of game 3 if the series were tied at that point.

A slight modification on the best 2 of 3 superbowl idea. I think it would be cool to have best of 2 (no overtime) with a third game (with overtime) if the first two game were split (either win-loss, or tie-tie).