Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Players you like on teams you hate

[ QUOTE ]
People hate the Yankees now just because it's the cool thing to do. All these casual fans love the Red Sox, and hate the Yankees, and think they're cool. It's quite annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. The Yankees are the Cowboys/Celtics/Notre Dame so it's understandable that most of their fans aren't from NY even though it's annoying. But when Sox fans pretend like they're any different when they're not from Boston or act like they're the gutty underdogs when they have the 2nd highest payroll; give me a break.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People hate the Yankees now just because it's the cool thing to do. All these casual fans love the Red Sox, and hate the Yankees, and think they're cool. It's quite annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. The Yankees are the Cowboys/Celtics/Notre Dame so it's understandable that most of their fans aren't from NY even though it's annoying. But when Sox fans pretend like they're any different when they're not from Boston or act like they're the gutty underdogs when they have the 2nd highest payroll; give me a break.

[/ QUOTE ]

and in fact the biggest payroll team to win a WS.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:26 AM

he almost singlehandedly started the Curse of the Bambino phenomenom. for this he deserves to be stabbed a million times with toothpicks.

(and it's too bad, b/c once upon a time he was a good writer. unfortunately his negativity and style have turned him into a parody of himself).

the Boston Globe used to have the best writers in the country (Gammons, McDonough, Montville, etc) and guys like Gorden Edes are still good, but to quote Rick Pitino "All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks" and much of this is caused by the writers and talk show hosts.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we've been down this road too many times. WRT to competing against the Yankees, the Red Sox are basically a gritty underdog. WRT to competing against any other team, we're in great financial shape.

opening day payrolls, team / total / average player

N.Y. Yankees $198,662,180 $7,095,078
Boston $120,100,524 4,448,168
Los Angeles Angels $103,625,333 4,145,013

(sorry for bad formatting. Yankees payroll is 65% higher than the #2 Red Sox, and I'm pretty sure this doesn't include luxury tax dollars spent. The Red Sox are 17% ahead of the #3 team, and basically 18%, 19%, and 20% ahead of the 4th, 5th, and 6th teams)
Old 08-10-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
evan---anna's owns your california taco places.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a very, very hard time believing this. I would love to get some input from someone who has been to both places (El Farolito would be an easy reference for SF tacos).

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to live in Boston, went to Ana's, moved back to NY. Forgot all about Ana's. Saying it rates up there with anything decent in any city in the world is dumb.

Blue Ribbon BBQ in Somerville is excellent.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dan Shaughnessy is the embodiment of the annoying Red Sox fan. I hate that guy, and it's probably fueled my annoyance with the Red Sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

More and more red sox fans are hating this guy too.

KB4Z,

The Pitino quote is solid, but too bad it's from Pitino. He really, really sucked for the Cetics.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
evan---anna's owns your california taco places.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a very, very hard time believing this. I would love to get some input from someone who has been to both places (El Farolito would be an easy reference for SF tacos).

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to live in Boston, went to Ana's, moved back to NY. Forgot all about Ana's. Saying it rates up there with anything decent in any city in the world is dumb.

Blue Ribbon BBQ in Somerville is excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean Blue Ribbon BBQ in Arlington, or Redbones in Somerville? The former is certainly excellent. I wouldn't know about the latter since I've never been able to get inside the place.

I'll also throw in a shout-out for R.F. O'Sullivan's burgers, in Somerville.

And for the original subject -- Jim Tressel, OSU (he's a coach, but whatever).
Old 08-10-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You took the words out of my mouth. I have a bunch of aquaintances who are Red Sox fans and not from that area who say stupid things like "people just like the Yankees because they're good", "Yankees spend so much money". I want to hit them in the face with an irony shovel.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:29 PM

the only yankees i have ever liked in my life, as far as actually rooting for are...

Steve Sax
Steve Balboni
Jason Giambi