Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Re: great finds at trader joe\'s

I was surprised to see the tasty bite stuff repackaged, but it's great. my favorite is the jaipur vegetables. the cool thing about tj is it's the same price there as it is if you order directly from tasty bite in bulk, which is what I used to do.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:28 AM

Favorites at TJ's, many have been mentioned.

Spinach and Goat Cheese Quesadilla - Absolutely love it but I am sucker for Goat Cheese

The Bean burrito

Lobster Ravioli + Lobster Bisque - Make together, super quick, easy and delicious

Some Frozen Hamburger that has blue cheese and bacon stuffed in the middle

Some of there frozen veggies are awesome to have on hand when cooking dinner (stir fry veggies, Indian rice thing..)

Last but not least that I can think of right now is The Guacamole that comes in the Green cardboard box (not the plastic cup). Just the plain stuff. Probably my favorite TJ's item.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:49 PM

are you guys referring to the indian room temp box stuff? private label stuff rebadged from world market? i've only had the curries, but i found the yellow curry pretty blah and the red curry downright inedible. i could be persuaded to try some of the other stuff, but i'll need a HUGE vote of confidence on a specific item.

on the brighter side, try the prig khing thai green beans. they're in the frozen section. low calories, super high flavor. they're green beans with a spicy thai paste, it goes great with all kinds of stuff. no water/soupy stuff, just green beans and a light amount of paste.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
private label stuff rebadged from world market? i've only had the curries, but i found the yellow curry pretty blah and the red curry downright inedible.

[/ QUOTE ]

the stuff we are talking about is repackaged tasty bite. it's not the same stuff you are referring to as they don't make a red or yellow curry. I strongly recommend the jaipur vegetables, although most of their stuff is pretty solid.

on a rather disturbing note, my local TJ's hasn't had the nirvana veggie burgers (my favorite TJ's item) in several weeks. I am beginning to fear the worst.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:23 PM

Wow, funny this just got bumped again. I just went for lunch. Got a teriyaki bowl for lunch. It's really good. Could use a little more teriyaki sauce, but def. worth the $2.50 I paid for it.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:32 PM

astro,

Had the tomato soup again and while it needs a little salt/pepper imo, it's still a really tasty soup.

I had the butternut squash soup last night and it was the best of the three. I added a little salt, pepper, and a nice measure of tabasco to make it really great.

So, I recommend the tomato and butternut squash boxed organic soups, but do not recommend the carrot-ginger.

I've been enjoying the dried berry mix and dried cranberries. This week I'm going to get the unsweetened dried cherries.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:29 PM

http://www.tastybite.com/category_s/21.htm

apparently world market PLs them too. so they do make the curry, and it is horrible [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2006, 06:33 PM

i've been having the 'mideast feast' for lunch a lot lately. it's the packaged plastic thing with pita, hummus, falafel, etc. 420 calories.

i tried the cold chicken wrap with the tomato tortilla and carrot/yogurt slaw. i'm not into that sort of thing, and it was damn good. the yogurt didn't really pop, but the flavor was great. i think it was 520 calories, but quite filling.

i had a glass jar soup, corn/tomato. i think it might have called itself something mexican. it was good, nothing to scream about. 220 calories. the jar of roasted tomato garlic i've got looks better. so far on soups the sambar reigns supreme in my book.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:26 PM

maybe their thai stuff is no good [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. seriously man, try the jaipur vegetables with some naan.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:33 PM

Astro,

On your and others' recommendation, I got that bean/cheese burrito. I don't even really like beans, but man, that was a delicious burrito!

Other new items I purchased from TJ's:

Frozen Fettucine Alfredo - I got this mainly because I was curious as to how the hell it would work. Turns out it's the same system as the Gorgonzola Gnocchi - pasta w/ cheese disks. This was surprisingly good, though I'll stick to my own special recipe for fettucine alfredo (which basically just involves a ton of butter, cream, and cheese) that I make about once a year.

Mackeson triple stout beer - I wanted a stout and this was the only one they had. It was OK, but a little on the sweet side for me.

Yogurt - I got one container of the greek honey yogurt. Holy cow is that stuff great, it is like a rich, creamy dessert. Very high fat/calorie for yogurt, though. I also got some regular fruit on the bottom which was OK, but not as good as Dannon. I also got a container of TJ's Cream Top yogurt to compare to Brown Cow yogurt.

Soup - Picked up a new flavor of the boxed soup, Creamy Corn and Roasted Pepper.

Sandwich meat - went with the cured pork loin again. Holy cow, that is the greatest sandwich meat ever. I also got some thick-sliced seasoned roasted turkey that looks really good.

Dried fruit - Got unsweetened dried Montmorency Cherries (tart, dry, small, sorta like tart cherry-flavored raisins) and Bing Cherries (sweeter, larger, juicier, sorta like cherry-flavored dried apricot).