Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Fashion - Going Out (Without Coming Out!)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I would think you'd get longer wear out of a cashmere jacket than a velvet one. You'd still get that sumptuous feeling, but with a style that is classic and not likely to go out of fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Velvet will last longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I agree that velvet will last longer in the sense that it is a stronger fabric. But a year from now will that matter?

I meant that in my opinion a cashmere jacket says timeless style, a velvet jacket says passing fashion trend: $100 on a velvet jacket is a gamble and $400 on a cashmere jacket is an investment. That's all.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:33 PM

ahnuld - you are doing it correctly. top two buttons undone. if you ever wear shirts with a button-down collar, then just the top button undone. the t-shirt under dress shirt thing is, i guess, fine for those who prefer comfort(?) over style, but the t-shirt underneath is actually kind of tacky. if you're going for purely "what is more fashionable" then no t-shirt.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, now I got a question. I wear alot of button down shirts and jeans when I go out, because we normally end up at lowend bars since my friends never club or anything. I like to leave the top two buttons undone which shows off a bit of chest hair but I think looks fine and is more comfortable. A friend or two told me they really dont like the look at all. Whats the verdict?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh - are we being leveled here?

[ QUOTE ]
Levi's are pretty standard everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not in LA. Everyone has made the transition, as fluffpop put it:

[ QUOTE ]
Start giving in and buying expensive jeans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm personally starting to transition away from jeans all the time - wearing more slacks etc. (I just go for slimmer cut / flat fronts like say Marc Jacobs or something) - jeans are so de rigeur, especially in LA, and I'm trying to mix it up some more. (I'm also business casual in the office, so these pants work their way into this rotation also.)

-Al
Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 PM

anyone else go with the coordinated tshirt undershirt approach. example black dress shirt : black t-shirt or light blue dress shirt : dark blue t-shirt
Old 02-02-2007, 09:39 PM

[censored] - sometimes I do. I like the light blue button-down : dark blue t-shirt combo.

I think even more contrasting colors sometimes look good (like a hint of red under a blue button down or something) - but this is pretty color dependent.

I usually go with a white undershirt (like 80% of the time).

-Al
Old 02-02-2007, 09:42 PM

I went with black dress shirt, black dress pants : red t-shirt which I thought looked pretty good as did others.

I could see blue:gray combinations as well as brown : greens looking good as well
Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone else go with the coordinated tshirt undershirt approach. example black dress shirt : black t-shirt or light blue dress shirt : dark blue t-shirt

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't recommend against this enough. If you think it looks weird on you showing that much skin with two buttons unbuttoned, invest in some black A-shirts. Lots of them. You'll be glad you did.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went with black dress shirt, black dress pants : red t-shirt which I thought looked pretty good as did others.

I could see blue:gray combinations as well as brown : greens looking good as well

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on board with all these combos - I also like it because it's subtle but you get some variation.

-Al
Old 02-02-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It works as long as you don't go completely crazy. I have pretty much every color undershirt and coordinate and contrast about 75%/25%.

It works real well when people recognize when you switch to the contrast.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ahnuld - you are doing it correctly. top two buttons undone. if you ever wear shirts with a button-down collar, then just the top button undone. the t-shirt under dress shirt thing is, i guess, fine for those who prefer comfort(?) over style, but the t-shirt underneath is actually kind of tacky. if you're going for purely "what is more fashionable" then no t-shirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally do 3 buttons undone undershirt underneath all untucked, if its tucked i probably do 2 buttons, if it's button down collar i normally just unbutton the collar and do the same thing...

meh?