Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 12:29 AM

Default Re: You Can Run The Hundred In 8.3

[ QUOTE ]
If you're 15 yards off the line he's running a hitch for 7 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

GRRR....doesn't anyone know what a ZONE defense is? The majority of NFL teams DON'T have corners on an island. They wouldn't say hey average NFL corner cover this incredibly fast guy by yourself. They don't even usually say average NFL corner cover this guy who is about your speed by yourself.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GRRR....doesn't anyone know what a ZONE defense is? The majority of NFL teams DON'T have corners on an island. They wouldn't say hey average NFL corner cover this incredibly fast guy by yourself. They don't even usually say average NFL corner cover this guy who is about your speed by yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU are the one who is on an island.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:35 AM

I don't even know what you mean by that. Basically I don't think being one second faster than the average NFL safety/corner would equate to guarnteed success.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 AM

Even with a safety 15 yards deep he's going to have to guess between post and fly. If he guesses wrong he gets burned. Now if you can teach this guy to run a deep in which shouldn't be too hard you've opened a whole new can of worms.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:51 AM

I also believe given the information that Randy Moss would be harder to guard than this guy. Faster (albeit not as fast as our guy) than most NFL DB's, with fantastic leaping ability, and experience. Most wide recievers get open even if they are faster with the ability to sell a route, not on pure speed. Without that, I don't think 1 second would be enough for our guy.

Of course it's likely that our guy even if he never played football before, our would care about the game and getting open more than Randy Moss ever will [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2006, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's that easy. If I'm 15 yards off the ball this amount of speed isn't going to get him behind me. He is going to require the ability to run multiple routes effectively, if all he does is run posts and flys he will be easily covered. It is easy to stay behind someone when you know where the person is going to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And taking a big league hit his otherwise average body will not be able to hold up to... or hold onto the ball.

Remember, this is not a NFL caliber player who is fast. It is an otherwise average guy, who wakes up one day and can run fast. NFL corners and safetys will make sure his career is a short and painful one.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And taking a big league hit his otherwise average body will not be able to hold up to... or hold onto the ball.

Remember, this is not a NFL caliber player who is fast. It is an otherwise average guy, who wakes up one day and can run fast. NFL corners and safetys will make sure his career is a short and painful one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be the biggest obstacle to greatness but the speed edge he'd have would be enough for him to create the sort of space needed to either catch and get down or get out of bounds. Fred Biletnikoff may a career out of doing that and wound up in the Hall of Fame. Even Franco Harris is famaous for avoiding contact.

Without question, the best chance a defense would have of stopping him is to hit him as much as they can. That's why I don't see him breaking in as a return man. He'd be tough to catch but would not be conditioned to the hits.

As a receiver, a good coaching staff would devise routes and strategies to minimize the punishment. Even if this guy rarely got his hands on the ball, the defensive attention he'd demand would make him a force. Defenses would have to commit at least a safety to protect the deep route. Defenses would have to gamble and guess and leave other offensive players in single coverage.

The sort of speed here would be revolutionary. Barring injury or an inability to take punishment this receiver would be a force.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's that easy. If I'm 15 yards off the ball this amount of speed isn't going to get him behind me. He is going to require the ability to run multiple routes effectively, if all he does is run posts and flys he will be easily covered. It is easy to stay behind someone when you know where the person is going to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At 6' and with a reasonable build, he's not much smaller than a lot of NFL wide recievers. What does athletic ability have to do with being able to take a hit?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even with a safety 15 yards deep he's going to have to guess between post and fly. If he guesses wrong he gets burned.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly the answer that should end the discussion. It's like what I was saying before -- this guy has so much speed, it doesn't matter how far off you play him or whatever, he can create space by running wherever the defense isn't. The reason that doesn't happen now is because the corners and safeties are as fast or faster than the receivers (or at least close). This is like if a conventional receiver was being covered by a secondary made up of nothing but 265 lb linebackers. Getting open would be too easy no matter what D they play on you.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:28 PM

I disagree, but I'm tired of arguing this. I don't think one second difference of speed is enough for this guy to be a star. He would need more tools than this and I have already discussed why I think why.