Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: The Sushi Thread

[ QUOTE ]
guys, here is the question ive always wanted answered.

for me, i can eat like 5 pounds of maguro sashimi. where can i just buy one of those raw tuna strips i can cut up, dip in soy sauce and eat? theres a giant wharf in santa cruz which sells tons of fish, how do i know if what im getting is suitable to eat raw? is there some kind of test for this?

also, mackeral is like the only raw fish i dont like. my underdog favorite sushi meat is octopus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anybody have an answer for this? I've thought of this same idea every time I eat sushi. I also agree on the mackeral, excessively fishy and unpleasant texture.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:27 PM

It seems like everyone is saying that you are not supposed to dip the sushi into the soy sauce rice first. But how is this possible with rolls? You can't really dip just the fish in the sauce.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like everyone is saying that you are not supposed to dip the sushi into the soy sauce rice first. But how is this possible with rolls? You can't really dip just the fish in the sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not dipping it rice first is with regards to nigiri-zushi. With rolls, it cannot be helped. Just dip one end briefly. Don't let it soak. You don't want the soy sauce to overpower the taste of the sushi.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:27 PM

As someone who used to have a deep loathing in his heart for all seafood and is just now coming to the point where i've been willing to try cooked seafood, is there any reason that i should even bother trying sushi? ive been meaning to do so, but if it will just be a waste of time and money and im sure to hate it, i guess theres no point.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As someone who used to have a deep loathing in his heart for all seafood and is just now coming to the point where i've been willing to try cooked seafood, is there any reason that i should even bother trying sushi? ive been meaning to do so, but if it will just be a waste of time and money and im sure to hate it, i guess theres no point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you like Japanese food at all? If so, find a well-regarded restaurant that has a sushi bar, and just try a couple of pieces before you get your cooked dish. If you don't like it, you'll be out $6-8, and you can still enjoy your meal.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:36 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

i cant stand cooked fish but sushi is one of my favorite things ever to eat. whenever i was little my friends family was ALWAYS having grilled salmon for dinner since we live like a mile from the ocean, but i hated it. now i could sit and eat raw salmon for hours.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you like Japanese food at all? If so, find a well-regarded restaurant that has a sushi bar, and just try a couple of pieces before you get your cooked dish. If you don't like it, you'll be out $6-8, and you can still enjoy your meal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best way to start IMO.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a first experience, I would recommend making sure the place you go to serves very fresh fish, as I wouldn't want it to ruin sushi for you for the rest of your life. Start with the less fishy-tasting fishes (tuna, and the white-fleshed fish) until you get used to the taste and consistency.

What was the reason for your deep loathing? Consistency? Taste? Bad experience as a kid?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:55 PM

honestly i'm not sure, but i suppose i'd probably be more willing to try it in that setting. i suppose it's kind of ironic, but back in high school i dated a japanese girl who's dad imported or purchased or did some crap with high end fresh fish.

does anyone have any recommendations of decent japanese restaurants that might have a sushi sampler type thing in the bay area?

alternatively, would that be a bad introduction to sushi and put me off good?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

does anyone have any recommendations of decent japanese restaurants that might have a sushi sampler type thing in the bay area?

alternatively, would that be a bad introduction to sushi and put me off good?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are definitely things that could come on a sampler that would seem disgusting to a person who doesn't like fish, uni (sea urchin) for one. I would go with offTopic's suggestion of trying a couple of pieces before ordering a bigger cooked dish.