Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: SamG\'s Log

[ QUOTE ]
it's great to see that others are benefiting.

[/ QUOTE ]
x2

[ QUOTE ]
tuck your shirt in

[/ QUOTE ]
Should I do this always when I lift or just so you can see my form in the videos? Btw that shirt is about two sizes too big. It used to fit before I lost the weight.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:51 PM

I only meant for the videos. Normally, when you are just lifting for yourself you should wear a lot of spandex, eye make-up is optional. Pastels are nice.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Normally, when you are just lifting for yourself you should wear a lot of spandex, eye make-up is optional. Pastels are nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Thought maybe it was a safety thing.)
Old 08-16-2007, 09:11 PM

8/16 - Workout 'B'

Squat

Warm-up:
2x5x45
1x5x65
1x3x85

Work Sets:
3x5x95 (+5 since last workout)

My weight still shifts forward when I come out the hole on the these. I'm OK on my warm-ups, but when I add this much weight to the bar, my form breaks down. Also I got that strange and unpleasant pain around my tailbone again by the end of the 2nd set, which makes me uneasy.

These sets were tough. I might be doing too many warm-ups. I was tired before any work sets.

Standing Overhead Press

Warm-up:
1x5x45
1x3x65

Work Sets:
1x4x75 (failed 5th rep and pulled a muscle)
1x5x45
3x5x65 (-5 since last workout [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

I probably started too high on these. Even the sets when I backed off to 65 were tough. Also I did something weird to my arm on the first set.

Chins:

1x3
2x2
1x1

Improving on these...
Old 08-16-2007, 09:51 PM

My weight has drifted back down to ~165, where I started. I hope my bodyfat % has dropped some, but I don't really have a way to tell yet. Calipers should arrive tomorrow.

Diet over the last 2 weeks:

Could use some improvement, huh?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My weight has drifted back down to ~165, where I started. I hope my bodyfat % has dropped some, but I don't really have a way to tell yet. Calipers should arrive tomorrow.

Diet over the last 2 weeks:

Could use some improvement, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I'd be more than happy with those numbers.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:24 AM

On the press. I don't know what Starting Strength recommends for the warm-up, but >90% of your previous 5 rep max seems way too high. I also, don't know what it says about going to failure, but I'd guess actual failure is to be avoided -- once the barbell speed slows down, and the next rep is in doubt you should probably shut that set down, definitely if that point comes in the first set. Failure is generally something to be avoided in strength training-- not that it doesn't ever happen, of course. I'm guessing here, I don't have that book and haven't read it.

On the Squat, I'm not sure what to say to you other than: don't do that. If you are focused on keeping your chest high and head up, but still floating forward out of the bottom we need to come up with another strategy. Either dropping back a bit, and beginning the progression again at weights where you squat correctly. Or dropping back and beginning the progression with front squats which may cure your tendency to drift forward. Or, I don't know... In the meantime, you can practice dropping in and out of a bodyweight squat whenever the mood strikes you. Squatting that butt back and down and leading out of it with the chest high and shoulders back.

Most of us, our squats are continually a work in progress even after they are good and safe with a a full ROM, but I think this is something that needs to get fixed for you.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really. I'd be more than happy with those numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good to hear.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the press. I don't know what Starting Strength recommends for the warm-up, but >90% of your previous 5 rep max seems way too high.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I've been wondering if my warm-ups haven't been interfering with my work sets. I've heard different things about how much you should do.

[ QUOTE ]
I also, don't know what it says about going to failure, but I'd guess actual failure is to be avoided -- once the barbell speed slows down, and the next rep is in doubt you should probably shut that set down, definitely if that point comes in the first set. Failure is generally something to be avoided in strength training-- not that it doesn't ever happen, of course. I'm guessing here, I don't have that book and haven't read it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds reasonable. If I don't complete a set, what then? For instance, I failed on my first set yesterday. Do I move on to the next exercise? Do I instead take some weight off the bar for the next set?

[ QUOTE ]
On the Squat, I'm not sure what to say to you other than: don't do that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I might reset the weight until I fix that problem. At least I'm aware that I'm doing it :-/
Old 08-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Well, I don't know what SS says. If you are feeling it in the first set, I'd would try to get the reps in, but in smaller sets. So I got 4, and 5 is in doubt, let's stop this set-- Then go 3x3, 1x2, maybe, to get 15 reps, or say, you get 4, now go 1x3, 1x2 and say "okay, geeze, i'm done here, let's drop way down and do a couple good solid reps." That's the sort of thing I would do, but would defer to whatever guidance you get in SS-- or if someone has a better suggestion.

True failure-- fighting with the rep and calling on all your reserves to complete the rep (or not) is very taxing on your body-- personally, I wouldn't let that happen until the last set, if then.

On the squat it isn't something to get bummed about. Form tends to break down as you near your limits. And, similarly, as in the present case, increasing the load tends to find weaknesses in form even if well below limits. That's why you progress in a series of small steps. So dropping back to ensure that the next couple workouts are both progressing in weight and at a place where you are getting solid reps in sounds like a good plan.