Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Review of Ace on the River

[ QUOTE ]
To criticise his efforts in the way that some people have done is quite frankly insulting and unfair to an obviously decent person and excellent poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not "unfair" in any way to read a book and criticize it. That's part of the purpose of this forum. The fact that he seems like an "obviously decent person" to you really has nothing to do with the matter at hand, which is the value of his book in the cannon of poker literature.

[ QUOTE ]
Not every poker book is full of technical content. I for one am very interested into what the realities of being a top poker playing professional may be like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too looked forward to this book because I expected it to be a fresh insight into the mind and life of a super-rarefied high-stakes poker player. I was dissapointed. I enjoyed the early biographical chapter and was pleased at the inclusion of some of the peripheral aspects of the poker world, but ultimately the book came off as a half-asssed attempt to be some kind of Poker Bible. I didn't mind the relative paucity of strategic analysis, but it wasn't balanced by any real wealth of information or insight into other facets of poker life.

I don't think AOTR is well-written or candid enough to stand alone as an important document about poker culture (the way, for instance, The Biggest Game In Town, did) and it's not strategically comprehensive, so it's really just a handsome-looking book that makes a superficially pleasant addition to your poker library.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I too looked forward to this book because I expected it to be a fresh insight into the mind and life of a super-rarefied high-stakes poker player. I was dissapointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you didn't find that by reading the book, then you only read the endpapers.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I too looked forward to this book because I expected it to be a fresh insight into the mind and life of a super-rarefied high-stakes poker player. I was dissapointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I'm sure you'll point to the page numbers where we get said fresh insight.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:44 AM

Barry,

I am glad that some people have enjoyed your book. It appears that your book is aimed towards poker players who are emotionally challenged (i.e. not making good life decisions). That being said, I do not fall into that category thus the scathing review.

Also, I am not surprised that you did not include my review of your book on your site.

Finally, I mailed the book and my address back to your publishing company (the address you posted in this thread) and have yet to recieve any monies back.

cheers
Boon
Old 08-16-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I'm sure you'll point to the page numbers where we get said fresh insight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you won't get that...but you'll probably get a response that you are most likely an online player and thus are not able to grasp the hidden advanced concepts in the book that will allow you to take your game to the next level.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you won't get that...but you'll probably get a response that you are most likely an online player and thus are not able to grasp the hidden advanced concepts in the book that will allow you to take your game to the next level.

[/ QUOTE ]

That goes without saying. Bobdibble and I have been trying to get these guys to point to the deep dark hidden secrets of said book for awhile now. The profound psychology, the advanced thought processes, all that. What we get in return are Phil Ivey quotes and other nonsense implying that we're jus' plain ignurint.

What I'd prefer is an honest answer. "Many mid-limit and even upper-limit poker professionals are socially or emotionally retarded. They need to be reminded constantly that lending money to others is dangerous, that playing games too big for your bankroll is unwise, that always playing your best game is difficult, that being rude to the tourists can negatively impact your bottom line, and that sometimes women can be a distraction harmful to your game."

Done, and done.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:46 PM

At the WSOP I talked to several people had the read the book and were very disappointed with it. Perhaps these people are just "middle limit players" who couldn't understand the high level content that some claim is in the book. I don't know Barry personally, but from what I read, I have tremendous respect for him. But this doesn't mean he's can write a good poker book. I'm going to read his book and find out for myself but I have been surprised by the amount of people who say that they were disappointed. When SSH came out, the poker crowd was not divided about how great that book was.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the WSOP I talked to several people had the read the book and were very disappointed with it. Perhaps these people are just "middle limit players" who couldn't understand the high level content that some claim is in the book. I don't know Barry personally, but from what I read, I have tremendous respect for him. But this doesn't mean he's can write a good poker book. I'm going to read his book and find out for myself but I have been surprised by the amount of people who say that they were disappointed. When SSH came out, the poker crowd was not divided about how great that book was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the book was decent. It has a few real good chapters on his thought process during hands, some interesting thoughts on his views (such as his motivation to take money from lowlifes), and its a very nice produced book. I would rate it a 6 or a 7.

Barry G is one of the best (if not the best) poker players in the world and plays in the biggest cash games out there. Given the potential here, I was disappointed.

Its like ARod hitting .290 with 25 home runs for the Yankees. Great effort for most of the league, but for him very disappointing.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barry,

I am glad that some people have enjoyed your book. It appears that your book is aimed towards poker players who are emotionally challenged (i.e. not making good life decisions). That being said, I do not fall into that category thus the scathing review.

Also, I am not surprised that you did not include my review of your book on your site.

Finally, I mailed the book and my address back to your publishing company (the address you posted in this thread) and have yet to recieve any monies back.

cheers
Boon

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to check into it. I asked the publisher last week and he claimed that there had been no returns.

Barry
Old 08-16-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bobdibble and I have been trying

[/ QUOTE ]

don't forget me.

info on 'you should tip delaers and chip-runners' and 'dont blow all your winnings on strippers or betting sports' did not really provide me any significant insight either.

Again...I enjoyed the book relatively speaking. But this 'next level' stuff regarding the psychology I'm just not getting because I didn't see anything that revolutionary in there.