Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Torre is back

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Regarding Torre/LaRussa and the Yankees/Cardinals, it was firing Yogi Berra in 1964 after losing the W.S. to St. Louis and then hiring their manager, Johnny Keane, that precipitated the fall of the Yankees, who had been good for decades up to that point. It would be juicy if firing another legend and hiring another Cardinals manager led to a similar swoon, but that's probably wishful thinking in the Steinbrenner era.

[/ QUOTE ]

With Cash in charge and the Yanks payroll there will be no fall.

Cash >>>>>>>>> Torre

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the same Cash who signed Carl Pavano and picked up Sidney Ponson?

You mean the same Cash who left Torre with no choice but to use Darrell Rasner, Jeff Karstens, Tylar Clippard, Matt DeSalvo and Kei Igawa in the starting rotation?

The problem with the 2007 Yankees wasn't Joe Torre. The problem with the 2007 Yankees was a complete inability to stop other teams from scoring.

Of course, with their payroll, they'll have no problem throwing money around, but who's out there actually worth signing? The Yankees' farm system is pretty much a bare cupboard now (thanks to Cashman, not Torre), so no one's going to trade the Yankees anything actually worth having.

The Yankees appear to be doing everything necessary to languish in AL mediocrity for the next few years. I predict that at least five of the following teams (Angels, Tigers, Red Sox, Indians, Mariners and Twins) all have better records than the Yankees next year.

You think the seat's hot now, wait until next year when the Yankees are 83-79, and miss the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

a your an idiot who doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

many believe that when it comes to pitching the yankees have the best talent in their farm system in the entire league.

Carl wasn't exactly an awful pitcher when we signed him..no one could have exepcted him to be the biggest joke of the century. Cashman has only gotten full control in the last year or two.

And Cashman is waaay more of a factor in the Yankees winning 4 WS than Torre ever was.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And whom do you project that to be, besides Joba?

[/ QUOTE ]

how have you not given up on this thread
Old 10-18-2007, 05:40 PM

Cashman's pretty good at getting other franchises to overpay for Japanese imports, I'll grant you that.

And yes, Carl Pavano wasn't "awful", but he was a middling quality pitcher who'd already lost significant time to injury in his career. Cashman way overpaid based pretty much solely on his 2004 season (which was a very good year, but hardly evidence of sustainability). He was not in any way worth the contract he was given, at the time he was given the contract.

(And yes, I say that knowing full well what the Rockies did with Denny Neagle. Both were atrocious deals at the time they were made.)
Old 10-18-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, yes, he's a key player, but he's already a 3-year MLB...well out of the farm system.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ saying a 24 yr old who has played 3 seasons doesn't count for saying that the Yankees have brought talent out ofntheir farm system.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:45 PM

Mondo,

Thank you for coming to Sporting Events. You have made the majority of my posts look like pulitzer prize winning articles. Keep up the good work.

Your Biggest Fan

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chase Wright and Matt DeSalvo, LDO

[/ QUOTE ]

Chase Wright is already 25 and couldn't get major league hitters out in his breif callup this year. He may have a major league career, but he's hardly a stud.

Matt Desalvo is already 27, and is a worse pitcher than Chase Wright. He's an organizational player, at best.

I hope those aren't the guys you're looking to lead your staff in the coming years.

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean..i know your not all that smart and all but you realize that the Yankee's have good pitchers in AA and AAA who they didn't want to bring up this season right?

They brought up guys whose dev they weren't all that concerned about besides Hughes, Joba, Kennedy...hence them using kiddie gloves with those pitchers.

As of now going into next year they have Wang, Joba, Hughes, Kennnedy, Igawa, Pettite. There is this thing called free agency plus the Yanks can make trades.

Yanks are fine with or without Torre...over tha last couple year Joe has been known more for destroying our relievers arms than he has been making great managerial moves to win games.

I can't wait until the playoffs are over so Mondogarage can go back in his hole. Cashman is a fine GM. Not the best, but he's pretty good, and he's made great strides to get the Yankees' farm system back on track.

[ QUOTE ]
Mondo,

Thank you for coming to Sporting Events. You have made the majority of my posts look like pulitzer prize winning articles. Keep up the good work.

Your Biggest Fan

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's to give up? I keep waiting for someone to explain how the Torre "firing" is actually good for the Yankees' winning prospects going forward. I keep waiting for someone to explain what it is that's actually going to make the Yankees a playoff-quality team next year.

I'm not interested in arguing or hurling insults, I'm interested in facts. As of yet, no one seems to be able to explain just how today's events makes the Yankees any better than they were a week ago. It's almost as if the underpants gnomes were running the team, and not just posting here.

1. Fire Joe Torre
2. ???????
3. PROFIT!

How does firing Torre improve your starting rotation? How does firing Joe Torre convince A-Rod not to opt out of his contract? How does firing Joe Torre convine Rivera or Posada to stick around? This year's free agent crop is fairly weak, so how does firing Joe Torre improve the roster?

I agree, his in game decisionmaking left a lot to be desired. I probably would have fired him by now. But that doesn't change the fact that he was not fired until now, and done so in a very classless manner, with a lowball offer for only one year, that any reasonable person would know would be a slap in the face.

You can keep tossing insults, but maybe someone else will actually provide an explanation.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's to give up? I keep waiting for someone to explain how the Torre "firing" is actually good for the Yankees' winning prospects going forward. I keep waiting for someone to explain what it is that's actually going to make the Yankees a playoff-quality team next year.

I'm not interested in arguing or hurling insults, I'm interested in facts. As of yet, no one seems to be able to explain just how today's events makes the Yankees any better than they were a week ago. It's almost as if the underpants gnomes were running the team, and not just posting here.

1. Fire Joe Torre
2. ???????
3. PROFIT!

How does firing Torre improve your starting rotation? How does firing Joe Torre convince A-Rod not to opt out of his contract? How does firing Joe Torre convine Rivera or Posada to stick around? This year's free agent crop is fairly weak, so how does firing Joe Torre improve the roster?

I agree, his in game decisionmaking left a lot to be desired. I probably would have fired him by now. But that doesn't change the fact that he was not fired until now, and done so in a very classless manner, with a lowball offer for only one year, that any reasonable person would know would be a slap in the face.

You can keep tossing insults, but maybe someone else will actually provide an explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of facts, thanks for bringing it to our attention that Joe Torre was "fired."

Someone take the shovel away from this guy.