Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: The Well: TheMetetron

[ QUOTE ]
TheMeteron,

Thanks for doing this well, but I found the lack of content made this by far the worst well. First off there is absolutely nothing you said in here poker content wise that is valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to ask a question. It's a well, I'm only answering questions I get asked and I got asked exactly 2 poker questions, one of which I didn't answer and one I answered as best I could given that it is super situational.

[ QUOTE ]
In MSNL everyone strongly dislikes you because you come off as incredibly arrogant. Lose the ego kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot meet kettle.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to post a well and answer personal questions in regards to your life that is perfectly fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to have your approval.

[ QUOTE ]
Yet, don’t advertise your coaching services.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was asked about them. You guys determine the direction this well takes, all I do is answer the questions posed.

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you charge 300/hr is laughable. I hope no one in SSNL or MSNL considers getting you as a coach; there are tons of better coaches out there who charge way less and are just as valuable. I am 99 percent sure anyone who is seriously considering you as a coach is making a huge mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I freely admit there are cheaper coaches and I tell some people considering hiring me that I don't think I'm the best fit for them. But those coaches aren't better than me and if someone wanted to improve their game to crush MSNL, I feel as though I'm going to help them do that better than anyone. Feel free to disagree as it is obviously an opinion. But to say that charging less than half my hourly rate at poker for coaching is high is ridiculous.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- List the cities/countries you've lived in that you've banged a local. Which nationalities are best in the sack?

[/ QUOTE ]

American, Canadian, Mexican, Dane, Swede, Bulgarian, Argentine, Spaniard, German

The Scandinavian chicks were the best in bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you said you were gay?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Top 5 things you took away from this thread related to poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the intention of any of the HSNL guys wanting to make a well, but it's true that the last two has lacked practically of content.

So, I'm not sure if it would had been better to just make a solid post giving advice in things they felt like speaking and answering about, than a well, for example.

Anyway, I find very valuable any sign of generosity in a world as competitive as poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

dardo,

Like I said it is a well. If you guys have questions you need to ask them. A post where I post all the secrets to poker is a bit different than a well. This is a post where I answer questions you guys have.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jessica, this post defines you as the person you describe.

Metetron, if you feel like exploring Peru, PM me for free accommodation in Arequipa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the offer. I'll consider it.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
- List the cities/countries you've lived in that you've banged a local. Which nationalities are best in the sack?

[/ QUOTE ]

American, Canadian, Mexican, Dane, Swede, Bulgarian, Argentine, Spaniard, German

The Scandinavian chicks were the best in bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you said you were gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not gay.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Life-tilting MSNL and its counterpart #MSNL are my life goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much never see you in there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Passive aggression FTW

[/ QUOTE ]

That and one of the people with mod privileges there thought it was cute to ban me for just being there. It's like a boys club. When I happen to go in there occasionally it isn't under my name anymore.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But to say that charging less than half my hourly rate at poker for coaching is high is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should coaching be proportional to your hourly when the coaching market is clearly driven by competition? Doesn't one MSNLer charge like $200/hr when he plays 10/20 and up*? It's a valid point.

"I feel that I'm a good enough coach to justify charging $300/hr" is completely and entirely different than "given how much I make per hour playing poker, it isn't worth it for me to charge less than $300/hr to coach," especially given your comment that you're currently "beta testing" your coaching services as you "get the hang of your current format" which kinda indicates that you don't even know if your coaching is worth that much.

*Don't want to name names in case I'm wrong but even if the particular dude I'm talking about doesn't, there are several talented MSNL players that charge around that price.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For every aspiring athlete, artist and craftsmen who wants to be the best at their respective passions, there is always a aversion to plateauing. Hitting a skill ceiling from which there is no surpassing given your current approach.

What in your approach or attitude towards poker has been key to allowing you to avoid/overcome skill plateaus?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite certain I will plateau. Almost everyone does. I'm just hoping my plateau is somewhere in HSNL. I've been fairly lucky in that whenever I've wanted to move up in stakes after being rolled for it, I've been able to do it with minimal problems. Most are not this lucky. It did take me two tries to move to $5/10 though because the emotional swings were big for me at the time even though I was actually rolled for it.

[ QUOTE ]
In your poker peers what trait/behaviour do you see as the most common cause of players never realizing their full potential?

[/ QUOTE ]

This may sound cynical but I think most players do realize close to their full potential. Poker, like similar games, require a lot of intelligence and logic-skills. Some people who don't make it to a certain level just don't do so because their brain doesn't have the capacity to think at the level of the competition.

Most of 2+2 is beyond that but there is something to be said for many of us just not being cut out for HSNL no matter how hard we try.

Now obviously a lot of things like tilt, bad bankroll management, not being able to play consistently (tilt), not spending the time to improve their game, not getting a coach when they hit a wall, etc don't help someones chances and keep them back as well.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But to say that charging less than half my hourly rate at poker for coaching is high is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should coaching be proportional to your hourly when the coaching market is clearly driven by competition? Doesn't one MSNLer charge like $200/hr when he plays 10/20 and up*? It's a valid point.

"I feel that I'm a good enough coach to justify charging $300/hr" is completely and entirely different than "given how much I make per hour playing poker, it isn't worth it for me to charge less than $300/hr to coach."

*Don't want to name names in case I'm wrong but even if the particular dude I'm talking about doesn't, there are several talented MSNL players that charge around that price.

[/ QUOTE ]

goofy,

Your point is a valid one. The answer is really multi-part:

1) I'm just simply not willing to work as a coach for less than $300/hr. The opportunity cost is all out of whack if I do. I could simply play poker and make twice as much. Now one does get burned out on poker and coaching is a nice break, but there is a point where it isn't worth it.

2) I feel my coaching style is improved over what most do by using videos. It gives the student something tangible that they have after the coaching session which most coaching aren't willing to do for such a cheap price. For instance, if someone wanted me to make a video of me playing for an hour, it wouldn't cost $300 despite the fact that might only be how long ti takes me. Trust me that the people working at video instruction sites don't get paid only their hourly for one hour of video.

3) I feel I'm better than the vast majority of MSNL coaches. If you want to hire a coach from MSNL for $200/hr who is beating $2/4 and maybe $3/6 for 3 PTBB/100 that is fine. It is a valid thing to do. But if you wanted someone beating $5/10 and $10/20 for over 6 PTBB/100 then you can come to me. One MSNL coach is not equal to another.

* Edit: Didn't realize you said there is a $10/20+ player charging $200/hr. I find that a very dubious statement if you are correct. Not sure what his motivation is or if it is true, but even if we assume it is AND that he is a big winner (important consideration), the market will flood him and he will raise rates because he just doesn't have time. Just like if I get flooded with too many requests my rates will go up and if there is no interest the rates may drop a bit (not likely, interest is already very high).

In the end, the market will even out the prices to something reasonable. It is up to the coach to decide if that is worth his time or not.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:21 PM

what is your W$WSF ?