Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Re: more bbv retardedness

Besides cleaning up the existing sticky, it might be worthwhile to add another sticky that contains an categorized/alphabetized list of links (with a brief one line description) to oft referenced threads. This might make the forum's "rich" history more accessible to new posters, and give them a sense of which topics have already been comprehensively covered/had defining threads in OOT.

For example:

Crimson Challenge - OOTers perform daring feats for $$$

Snakes on a Plane MS-Paint - Artistic interpretations of the film

Tipping - Gratuity fundamentals, weddings, cleaning ladies, etc.

Perhaps even a brief OOT specific glossary which contains stuff like SIIHP, tl;dr, etc.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:09 AM

Nick - I'm not really in favor of any plan that makes me the champion of retards everywhere.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you oot guys really want my input anyway, so I'll shut up on it. I shouldn't have even got involved in this thread I think.

If you're happy with the forum, power to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=9479226

amazing how somebody's view can change in less than 2 months without reading the forum.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:59 AM

Okay, 'never' is an overstatement. I sometimes look in there, see plenty of thread titles with lots of potential, and then look in it. And then realise you guys need a little fun, new blood (posters I mean) and dynamism. And then don't bother for a few weeks.

I bet I'm not alone.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nick - I'm not really in favor of any plan that makes me the champion of retards everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero of retards, not champion.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys are probably right. I might be getting sucked into the post count #s too much, and even though I dont see anything to dislike about OOT, I continue to see OOTs numbers drop off every month so I figure there must be something wrong, but maybe there isn't and maybe post count numbers aren't the best way to measure the success/failure of OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't the best way...the best way would probably be a combined scale based on number of posts/hr combined with number viewing/hr.

But it's a fairly good (albeit flawed) indicator of traffic.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:37 AM

I would ask, most politely, one last time, would the oot mods please tell us if they think all is well at the moment in oot?

If not, could you consider starting a thread in oot to ask ooters what they think (as NT raised), and act on their suggestions. Perhaps a respected poster like El D. can summarise the results of such input and help you fix any issues?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:15 AM

yes all is fine!

post count #'s are almost meaningless imo. i have said this over and over again and nobody seems to acknowledge what i'm saying or agree or anything. here it is again: bbv4l is full of no content posts, i mean literally no content. their #'s are artificially inflated by posts like "1st, 2nd, in before lock, lol, etc."... not only that but sometimes threads are just posted for the sake of posting.. like someone will post something like

subject: URGENT NEWS!!

body: what it do?

and a thread like that could get 100 replies. should i really go into bbv4l and find some links to show what i'm talking about? or can someone at least acknowledge what i'm saying?

btw i am not saying bbv4l is a bad forum, it is what it is. i'm just saying to say it's more popular than OOT and then point to post count is INCREDIBLY STUPID AND ONLY AN IDIOT COULD MAKE THAT ARGUMENT.. basically.

come on guys.. i could spam OOT and inflate the numbers if i wanted to. i could invent stupid games and encourage people to go hog wild posting contentless posts just to jack up numbers.. but i don't, why? because i don't see the need. it's not a contest to see who has the most posts per day!!! why do people think it is?? it's just so funny to me that people are saying OOT has a problem because post count seems to be dropping (yet still very high relatively) yet click on the lounge and you hear crickets.. but that's not a problem somehow?

as el diablo has shown oot consistently has the most people viewing it... isn't that the definition of the most popular forum? someone please be the voice of reason here and either agree with me or disagree and provide some counter-discussion. sometimes i feel like i'm in bizarro world here.

even though i think nothing is "wrong" with OOT, i would not be against making a suggestions thread, why would i be?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sometimes i feel like i'm in bizarro world here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with daryn here. Page views are definitely more indicative of popularity than post counts for exactly the reasons he noted.

Also, daryn, NT!, Nick B., and other non-members clearly do not have their fingers on the pulse of Bizarro OOT
Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 AM

so, are all those people just multiple personalities of nos1nos2? i would not be surprised.