Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Dumb people who think they are smart

I don't know if slots are advertised as +EV. But there are profitable situations in some slot-machines.

Stanford Wong has written on some of these I think.

Not as many as there used to be I'm guessing.

"My favorite is "why are you using those big words?" As if by speaking English you're doing something wrong and insulting them. "

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes.

This is so frustrating. I don't even have that spectacular a vocabulary. But I have to dumb-down what I want to say around people I don't know just because I'll get made fun of otherwise for using a word that actually has 3 or 4 syllables in it.

Last week playing 1/2 NL in Tunica.
Lady from Canada comments that the all-in guy who won the hand did pretty well for himself...nice job quadrupling-up.

Dealer: Hey hey! You're in Mississippi. We don't use such big, fancy words around here.
Lady from Canada: Quadrupling? Is that really considered a big word in Mississippi?

I guess this dealer guy also takes a certain amount of mock-pride in the supposed intelligence, or lack thereof, in the south in general.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:57 AM

i think the general tone here is that of people disliking people who wont act like who they really are. i share this, i really do not care if you are stupid or smart if you are a cool person, but anyone who tries to display themselves as something they obviously aren't really pisses me off. i have had friends that i really dont like to talk to anymore because they are too caught up in trying to impress other people and try to act like they are different than they really are.

an example is a friend who was quite convinced in HS that he was very intelligent and would try to act like the people who were legitimately intelligent, he wasn't really stupid but he wasn't as smart as he thought he was. he would participate in the same arguments as if he were smarter than everyone despite never having taken even an honors class and performing rather poorly in school. now, don't be mistaken, i am a supreme advocate that grades and actual intelligence are mutually exclusive, but if you are intelligent you can usually get decent grades even if you don't try very hard.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think anyone is more annoying than this man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ak5Lr3qkW0

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, that guy seems like a huge douchebag.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:08 AM

fury: Yeah, I have a number of friends who are not particularly well read or "book smart" or educated or whatever, but they are just good guys that I have gotten to know through sports or work or through bar/restaurant stuff. These people aren't necessarily dumb (though some maybe are a little bit), but they just don't know (or care) much about a bunch of topics. However, they stick to talking about topics like sports or liquor or cooking or whatever they know about and they are perfectly great to hang out with and I've learned a lot from them. In fact, they are much more pleasant to hang out with than other people who might be far "smarter" than them by most people's standards.

hanster: I was reading a couple of posts by diebitter and sniper where they were doing some "analysis" of various topics.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread is the height of ironicalnessity

[/ QUOTE ]

To quote my original post, "So... everyone who thinks they're smart?"

It's impossible for such a thread to avoid irony from practically every person who posts in it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2007, 02:13 AM

I think this thread would be more interesting if people posted examples of what they are talking about.(Someone is probably going to quote this and say something about how I'm stupid but I don't really care)
Old 05-02-2007, 02:18 AM

Eld,

If someone was smart enough to make you think they were dumb and at some point they showed you how smart they really were and explained they did it just because they did not want you to like them would your feelings be hurt?

This I like these type of people and I dislike these other type of people stuff from you makes me dislike you. Unfortunately I am not smart enough to trick you and I am not sure if I am dumb enough for you to dislike. So instead I ask you. Please don't like me. Evar. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2007, 02:27 AM

Stuey,

Someone doesn't have to be smart to make me think they are dumb. They just have to do/say dumb things. Just because someone is not very smart doesn't make me dislike them, though.

If some random person wants me to dislike them, no, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. I don't care about them one way or the other. If one of my friends did stuff to make me stop liking them, sure, that would hurt my feelings. I guess I don't really understand your question.

As for you, I don't dislike you at all, since you generally seem to just speak your mind and call things like you see them. If you don't want me to like you, just be a dick to me or my friends, easy enough. I won't dislike you just because you disagree with me or dislike me, though. I don't dislike anyone unless I have a reason to, and that's only enough to make me ambivalent.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I don't really understand your question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am joking around mostly. That is why I threw in the [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't want me to like you, just be a dick to me or my friends, easy enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found this interesting. I kinda tried to do this but I could not keep it up it is not in my nature. Plus it is a stupid thing to do and I think I did it subconsciously and once I noticed I really tried to stop. I could be doing it now.

[ QUOTE ]
since you generally seem to just speak your mind and call things like you see them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to think this is true but I also think I see stuff in a messed up way more often than anyone else. lol
Old 05-02-2007, 05:49 AM

Stuey,

It takes quite a bit for me to really like someone, but it also takes quite a bit for me to really dislike someone. Most people I'm just ambivalent towards.

Even people I disagree with a lot, if I feel like they have integrity, I generally don't dislike them. People who are underhanded, slimy liars are the ones that I really dislike. The easiest way for you to make me dislike you is do POS things like say good things about me to my face and then talk crap about me behind my back. Or do that with me about other people. I just have zero respect for that kind of crap.