Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: What would you do if you could start your life over from 19??

Bookmark this thread and check back after 2010. Your arguments about sex actually go much farther and are calling the entire concept of regret irrational. And you're absolutely right, it is.

Wishing a good thing had happened to you that wouldn't change the present? A bigger waste of time than posting on internet forums. Terrifically psychologically damaging, you beat yourself up for making a bad decision that didn't even cause lasting problems.

But I still think about [censored] like that all the time. I wish I could stop. Everyone does. But that's the penalty for being introspective.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:07 PM

I don't see what's wrong about regretting not doing something that would've made you happier at the time.

I mean...I bought an xbox, but I kind of regret not buying a ps2 instead. Does it have any impact on my life now? no, but that's not the point. It's impact on my life now isn't the only thing that matters...it's impact on my life THEN also matters if we're talking about going back and redoing things.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 PM

I see what you mean, but I think that some people's regrets in here are very poignant and a 19 year old who runs across this thread could learn from them.

"Live in the freshmen dorms" or "play less computer games and make real life friends" being some of the great ones. Obviously all of us here can sympathize with these things, or else we wouldn't be spending perfectly good time in our lives posting on an internet forum. (By the way, I probably should go ahead and admit to regretting ever starting posting on forums, that's a good one)
Old 09-17-2007, 06:13 PM

The problem with regrets is that even a moderate change of your life at 19 would result in you being a completely different person. If you're reasonably happy with yourself right now, you can't have screwed up too badly.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bookmark this thread and check back after 2010. Your arguments about sex actually go much farther and are calling the entire concept of regret irrational. And you're absolutely right, it is.

Wishing a good thing had happened to you that wouldn't change the present? A bigger waste of time than posting on internet forums. Terrifically psychologically damaging, you beat yourself up for making a bad decision that didn't even cause lasting problems.

But I still think about [censored] like that all the time. I wish I could stop. Everyone does. But that's the penalty for being introspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually believe you can change this, and a lot of aspects of your psyche. It never occurred to me to try until I realized that it was a problem wrt poker. It's tough and takes months of mental effort but once you know the mistakes you're making it really appears that you can 'retrain' the irrational parts of your brain.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't understand everyone's fascination with having more sex.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's sex. It's great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and this explains why you want to have sex tonight, or wish you had it last night. It does not explain why you wish you had it a few years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
At the very least, I'm pretty sure I would have been less miserable. Who knows where that might have led!

[ QUOTE ]
It also does not explain why everyone just wishes for it with a ton of random girls. Why don't you all wish you had it with an amazing partner, a sword swallower, an acrobat, a yogini, a tantric sex mistress?

[/ QUOTE ]
Who says we don't?

I should probably clarify that when I say things like "I would have had more sex with more girls", I still discriminate about when and whom with. I'm not looking to keep score or anything like that. I state here often that the types of girls I'm into tend to be different than other people. I don't wish I'd had indiscriminate sex; I wish I'd approached more girls I was attracted to, tried to start something, even if I'd failed repeatedly. I wish I wasn't so foolish and afraid to pass on some of the ones who were clearly interested in me.

Mostly, what the missed opportunities represent are the silly, irrational fears that caused us to miss them, and if we'd just done it, at least, that would be one less thing to get neurotic about.

Also, if I'd had sex with lots of completely random girls, I'd probably know much more now about what I actually am looking for in one.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:26 PM

1. Date/sleep with/hang out with/whatever more women. Up until around 20 i basically just didn't know how to talk to women. I could easily maintain women friendships, but when it came to women i liked I was pretty lost, and this resulted in piss poor results at a time so many women are available.

2. Take poker very serious and read 2p2. I actually got in on the super ground floor of poker, started playing online PRE moneymaker, but was so bad for so long because all i did was read books instead of talking to modern and educated players. It's really depressing to think about how good i could be now and how rich i could be had i found the right information.

3. Kept working out. At like 18/19 i was in awesome shape from spending my HS years in the gym, and in college i just let that drop off and feel into pretty average shape.

4. Caused more trouble. Not like beat someone up or break a ton of laws, but really i wish i had more great college antics stories than i do.

5. Go to more college football games. I went to like 2 and it was a 90 minute drive away to Madison which not only is the game incredible but the partying afterwards is unreal. How did i [censored] that up?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
now i am getting very nervous! i do not want to be ruining nlsoldier's life by having him look back in xx years and decide that he could've been doing a lot of other girls but was stuck in a stupid relationship, but i also do not want to break up with him. what do i do, internet poker forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

continue to be his main squeeze but let him [censored] other girls too. ask him what his deepest fantasies are and fulfill them enthusiastically. help him pick up women for threesomes, etc.

L.D.O.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:02 PM

I'm 22 and would change nothing of what ive done from age 19. However I'd change a ton if it was age 15 instead.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:27 PM

I'd invest in like 12 key stocks or w/e so I was a billionaire.

I'd also make sure I focused on aligning myself with internal pillars rather than external pillars in my life.

Everything else would follow naturally from there. I actually don't expect a do over to be much more awesome than the last 7 years of my life were. Maybe a bit, but not drastically, so meh.

Yugoslav