FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Its Bullshit..
<25% 51 20.08%
25%-50% 80 31.50%
50%-75% 65 25.59%
75%-100% 58 22.83%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2006, 01:28 AM

Default Re: How are the police allowed to do this?

Italian - First of all, I totally respect the job and challenges faced by police on an everyday basis. There's just a few practices I don't agree with. The first is what I believe to be the overzealous use of Tasers. The second is racial profiling.

How could I minimize the crime when it wasn't even detailed? But yea, I would accept more aggressive policing in response to more heinous crimes. Could you elaborate a bit more on the practice you refer to as "preventive patrolling"?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Profiling can work both ways

[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

Please watch the movie Crash to see how black people are treated in traffic stops.

[/ QUOTE ]
El D,
Please watch this video to see how white police officers are treated by black athletes in traffic stops.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Italian - First of all, I totally respect the job and challenges faced by police on an everyday basis. There's just a few practices I don't agree with. The first is what I believe to be the overzealous use of Tasers. The second is racial profiling.

How could I minimize the crime when it wasn't even detailed? But yea, I would accept more aggressive policing in response to more heinous crimes. Could you elaborate a bit more on the practice you refer to as "preventive patrolling"?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my own words, and how I would refer to it in any definition, preventive patrolling is picking up patrolling in areas of higher crimes or other violations. For example, like in this case, they are on alert for criminal activity so they patrol the area more often, pass through the area more often, stick around and watch what is going on alot more. Normally when areas are quiet, there is no need to stay there because nothing is happening. When police are around, people act differently. It's the same as when you see a cop running traffic. People see the cop and immediately hit the brakes.

Same for when there are areas of more drunk drivers, accidents, etc. You run traffic in those areas and over time it slows down. If there are alot of accidents in an area, you run traffic and pick up on the pace of writing citations. As word gets out, people will get the idea. It's preventive.

In one example that I had, we had a time when alot of cars were getting scratched at night. So around the time that we suspected it was happening, we would drive around the area more often. It never did happen again. We may not have prevented it, but if someone was watching, they knew we were there and on to them.

Another, we had a guy checking out a beer distributor. The owners were concerned that the guy was checking it out to break into it. We picked up patrols in the area and nothing ever happened.

I hope all of that makes sense.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

Please watch the movie Crash to see how black people are treated in traffic stops.

[/ QUOTE ]
El D,
Please watch this video to see how white police officers are treated by black athletes in traffic stops.

[/ QUOTE ]

if we are using this as evidence shouldn't they just have given him their wallets or whatever and run away? i mean guns and pepper spray don't work on the darkies apparently
Old 11-15-2006, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually friends with a great deal of black people.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know what it is, but somehow the more people that say this the more hilarious i find it...but on a serious note, those who believe the traffic stop was justified, by any chance could you explain to me the criteria that police are trained to look for when someone is looking at them and they are trying to determine whether this look is suspicious or not?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Boris makes an excellent point. The bottom line is that the reasoning for pulling this person over is pretty thin, and he hasn't been charged with anything. "Looking at police in a suspicious manner" ??? Noticing the front plate is missing after they initiate pursuit??? Very thin. They couldn't even say he went over the yellow line or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

NT, its called pretext. Cops are specifically taught how to avoid the claim they had no basis for the stop (a big issue in DUI/drug cases) by noting various legally acceptable grounds for the stop in the traffic report. In this instance, the cops claimed:

[ QUOTE ]
Cannon said police determined the vehicle did not have a front license plate and the driver made an unsafe lane change

[/ QUOTE ]

The unsafe/illegal lane change is the hallmark of a pretextual stop, as it is largely subjective and something that cannot be disproved after the fact. Its quite possible the officers noticed the front license plate issue after the stop and added it as an additional basis to justify the stop.

An article on pretext and racial profiling
Old 11-15-2006, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I dont know or care about this specific situaion, but I have a bumper sticker with the Italian Flag on my rear window, so when Im driving around in my black escalade on 22's I dont get pulled over every 2 blocks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Guids,

This might be a stupid question but I don't understand this. Is this so they don't think you're Mexican?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:52 AM

RoundTower,

This is an Escalade:

Pehaps you now recognize this vehicle.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:00 AM

Only two kids I grew up with ended up becoming cops.
Beat: They are both huge racists and I can't stand them.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

[/ QUOTE ]
El D,

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy was way more tolerant than most people. I wouldn't have been suprised to see the cop immediately go straight for his weapon and shoot to kill.

Him Dead&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Me Hit