Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Baby-killin\' sadist

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How can it be a sin to do exactly the same thing God also does ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without addressing the condoms kill babies issue, it should be obvious. You can kill someone in self defense or as a contract killer - one is guilt free, the other can get you fried. Think motive. Toss in authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine recently lost his 11 year old child to Leukemia. The kid suffered terribly before the end. I'm just curious if you'd feel comfortable looking my friend in the eye and explaining what God's motive was? Maybe you could let me in on it? I'm curious. He was a great kid who didn't deserve such an early end, let alone the agony filled one he got. Not to mention his Mom, Dad, brother, sister, and other loved ones who had to watch him go through it.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm just curious if you'd feel comfortable looking my friend in the eye and explaining what God's motive was?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tell him the same thing I've said on this forum 10 billion times. I would not say it with hostility or lack of concern for their feelings. But I would tell them what I believe is the truth. If they were interested in hearing it.

I might mention that if God doesn't exist then truly and unquestionably their son's suffering(and theirs) was(is) worse than a joke - our only hope that there is meaning to our difficulties is if God exists.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:29 AM

Default Joke

[ QUOTE ]

I might mention that if God doesn't exist then truly and unquestionably their son's suffering(and theirs) was(is) worse than a joke.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree with this.

[ QUOTE ]
Our only hope that there is meaning to our difficulties is if God exists.

[/ QUOTE ]Very true.

Except for the meaning we could fathom in and by ourselves.

Mickey Brausch
Old 03-05-2007, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Joke

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what would you tell Lestat's friend?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing, just that I was sorry about his kid. But if I was, say, good friends with a doctor who had the power to cure the kid, but wouldn't do it because it didn't fit into his master plan (the details of which he can't reveal), then I might find that a bit difficult to explain.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I might mention that if God doesn't exist then truly and unquestionably their son's suffering(and theirs) was(is) worse than a joke - our only hope that there is meaning to our difficulties is if God exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if there is a god he is worse than anything else you could imagine.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And if there is a god he is worse than anything else you could imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]The reason I agreed with the 1st part of NotReady's statement, quoted above, is based on these facts: We are asked by most religions to believe that Man is God's creation. However, we are also asked to believe that God comes to us in an incredibly dumbed down manner! As a magician and a carney trickster -- who spouts, nonetheless, words of good will and harmony among men. (I'm generalizing. The gods of some religions are vindictive and quite cruel.)

It is totally inconsistent to create something like Man with such intelligence and then ask Man to literally believe in and accept things fit only for a child. Christians have a last, one-size-fits all claim that addresses such arguments, referring us us to "God testing our faith", etc. But this cannot correct either. When God makes a creature to possess a certain level of high intelligence ---at which belief in naive assertions is, by definiton, by wiring, mostly precluded--, surely He cannot be doing this in order to ask us to believe precisely in such naivety!

If indeed that's what He wants, then that would mean that He wants Man to forego his God-given capabilities and intelligence and believe things (literally) on faith.

Mickey Brausch
Old 03-05-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement has nothing to do with whether god actually exists or not. It is a wish for his existence, not an argument for it.

Anyway imagine for a moment you are wrong, and god does not exist. Is your life now a joke? Maybe you think so, but I'm sure your family and friends don't. Maybe the meaning your brief life has to the other people in your life isn't enough for you. But that doesn't negate its value.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]There are lots of things to say, that come to mind, if one must say something (instead of simply offering silent comfort and company).

However, none of them involves lies about some afterlife or a benevolent God.

Mickey Brausch
Old 03-05-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: No cable in Heaven

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But why would God create a corruptible Man?

[/ QUOTE ]

He wanted something more than robots?

[/ QUOTE ]I had a robot toy, when I was a kid. I'd wind it up and he would start off in every direction whatsoever at random.

I don't know if it was free will on his part or the various obstacles I was placing in his path that made him set off on uncharted courses -- but I found my robot's silly walks amusing.

So maybe we are amusing Him. Better than nothing.

Mickey Brausch