Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Pedo\'s web site - is he doing anything wrong?

[ QUOTE ]
I hope in time a broad section of society will be able to understand and in some part accept the nature of pedophilia, as it had homosexuality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of society now accepts that two gay adults having sex in private doesn't do anyone any harm. This is obviously not the case with pedophilia. Also, gays are not going to want to be associated with child molesters in public perception more than anyone else does.

I think an inclination towards pedophilia is much more like an urge to murder or rape than it is like mere homosexuality.It's more socially repugnant and undesirable by several orders of magnitude. We may, as a society, acknowledge that some people have these desires innately and do not choose to have them; but in much the same way that some people have a very strong urge to commit rape.

Part of living in a society is being willing to constrain your behavior. I may want to smash someone in the face from time to time, but I don't. I may want to take something without paying for it, but I don't. If you prove that you're not willing to constrain your urges in order to live in our society, then maybe you shouldn't be allowed to. I, for one, have no problem with life imprisonment for repeat sex offenders (whether child molesters or those who rape adults).

Back on topic, I'm not sure how I feel about this guy's website [that's a lie, I know exactly how I feel; but I'm constrained from kicking the [censored] out of him by the Social Contract]. Better to say that I don't know how I feel the law should treat his website.

Very interesting issue for those of us who feel deeply about Freedom of Speech. It's so much easier to agree with when it's not so scary and repugnant, but making the tough calls is far more intersting.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:50 PM

I don't see how you can not feel deeply about freedom of speech. It's not a contradiction to feel that the harshest punishment should be inflicted on sex offenders and to stand behind the publication of this guy's website as his First Amendment right.

It's just getting into unsafe jurisprudential territory - do we start state-run programs for those that are predisposed to be arsonists, rapists, violent offenders, child molesters, Al Qaeda sympathisers, etc?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how you can not feel deeply about freedom of speech. It's not a contradiction to feel that the harshest punishment should be inflicted on sex offenders and to stand behind the publication of this guy's website as his First Amendment right.

[/ QUOTE ]

People like Freedom of Speech in the abstract, but are usually quick to kick it to the curb when it comes to speech the dislike. I think cases like this show how little thought most people put into their rights and what defending them entails.

Average responses:
Do you support Freedom of Speech: Of course!
Should a pedo be able to put up a website about kids: Of course not!

And they see no contradiction either.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or a novel with graphic depictions of people molesting kids?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's actually a masterpiece

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, very nice. Rare to see such complete ownage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, quite possibly *the* masterpiece of fiction of the 20th Century.
http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlib...estnovels.html
I'd put it top 2, but that's JMHO.

And to be fair, it was just the one girl -- Dolores. And she was at least 13 in the novel...
Old 09-12-2007, 12:02 AM

[censored] Lolita, I really hated the prose. Just not my style, though. Definitely could see it being a masterpiece.

As far as the real topic of this thread, IMO pedo is [censored] up bad. What he does sucks. But he has every right to publish his website. Just like how Nazis have the right to march.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:59 AM

I wonder if he would be turned on by this image . . .

Old 09-12-2007, 03:41 PM

all it takes is one person to rape a little girl/boy, then claim they got the info/ideas/help from this website. insta-accomplice
Old 09-27-2007, 05:45 AM

Ridiculous that this guy got arrested. The US gets a little more fascist every day. Oh, first we'll just torture "terrorists" without trial and then we'll legislate thought crimes against pedophiles and before you know it, the Constitution doesn't even exist any more. I know we'll never get any strict constructionists in the executive or legislative branch (or at least very few), but is it too much to ask to find people who want to uphold the Constitution in the courts?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ridiculous that this guy got arrested. The US gets a little more fascist every day. Oh, first we'll just torture "terrorists" without trial and then we'll legislate thought crimes against pedophiles and before you know it, the Constitution doesn't even exist any more. I know we'll never get any strict constructionists in the executive or legislative branch (or at least very few), but is it too much to ask to find people who want to uphold the Constitution in the courts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Judges are too busy making decisions based on their own personal world views to "uphold the Constitution."
Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 PM

"Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech"