FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: the well: renton

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Q TIP, I am about to give you advice that will change your life:

Denial runs the industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this. Can someone explain for me.

Renton, I also have a good preflop game. I know "the money is made postflop", but having the knowledge that I'm solid preflop is what allows me to sit into new games and be comfortable. Curiously, I run 15/12 (though if I'm not paying attention I tend to backslide to 16/11).

I'm too passive post-flop. Basically, since I tend to be weak-tight people then make a lot of moves at me, and so I end up having a lot of success making hero calls, which then leads my game into tight-passive, a HUGE leak. (1) Any suggestions on productively increasing post-flop aggression in general?

Also, I can only play on FTP so I'd really appreciate some pointers on how to make it work better.

(2) What mods do you use?
(3) How do you deal with the "Attention stealing" issue? (When you're in a hand at one table and another one steals focus and won't let you click back to the original table.)
(4) I play anywhere from 6-12 tables, but usually 9 or more. I only have one monitor. It would cost me 25% of my bankroll to upgrade to a multiple monitor setup. In your opinion, would it be worth it, or should I wait until the effect on my bankroll is less?
(5) Can you give me some general pointers on playing with shortstacks?
(6) Why won't anyone stack off anymore? Should I be bluffing more?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Start with the flop. I would just try to find more spots where you can continuation bet, i.e. Kxx is a standard cbet with air, even against three preflop callers, unless they are so bad that you know they'll call. Also any spot where u flop a little something out of position i.e. TT on Jxx Qxx etc, you should be betting because you probably have the best hand yet you can't really check call. Look for spots to lead the flop, an example being when when its 3 way to the flop with the acting order being (you) - (pfr) - (coldcaller). You should be betting wide there on a lot of flops just because it puts the pfr in a [censored] spot and he has to fold. Basically developing a donkbetting range, tailor it so they can't autoraise you off every time, but also so they can't get away from hands either. That way you will have options whenever you flop huge, those being check/calling, check/raising, and donkbetting.

2. Just AHK betpot. ACTUALLY, maybe you can help me here. How the [censored] do I multitable full tilt and use pahud without it taking a dump in my cpu?

3. Not really aware of this, guess it doesn't bother me.

4. Ooh, that is why you have the focus steal problem, i 12 table sans-overlap. Um. Yeah i wouldn't spend 300 of a 2k roll on a new monitor, for sure. If anything, i'd just play six max and play less tables until u build up. I'd probably wait until your roll - investment is comfortable for 1/2. Then get your monitors.

5. Well, a lot of ppl strictly forbid light opening when there are shortstacks. I disagree partially. First of all, if he's a super tight shortstacker (i.e. 8%vpip), open all you want, especially into his blinds. He folds enough that if he shoves on you ever its basically a freeroll (i.e. if u are potcommitted to call vs his AK, it doesn't matter because you made so much from the times he always folded). Against poor shortstackers who mainly are just call stations, you should open pretty lightly, but NOT with hands that flop poorly or are a bad dog to his range, i.e. A8o is better than 45s here.

6. A good rule of thumb for me is that i like getting out of line enough that i can carelessly get it in with overpairs. Take that fwiw. It just makes it so much easier to play.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One more if you get to them.

(7) I tend to polarize my range on the turn. Sort of a fit-or-fold at that point in the hand. How big of a leak do you feel this is? At what level is this going to be exploited, and should I start working on this now or instead work on the low hanging fruit (mainly learning to fold and valuebet properly)?

Thank you thank you thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

7. Yeah, this is pretty bad. I'm planning on making make my pooh bah post about this. So keep an eye out.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How the [censored] do I multitable full tilt and use pahud without it taking a dump in my cpu?

[/ QUOTE ]

Make FTP, PT and PAHUD low priority in the windows task manager.

Use the database cache option in HUD.

Keep PT clean.

And it still take a dump in your cpu.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:10 PM

Renton,

Thanks for doing this. It's been really interesting reading the questions and responses.

I know it's been awhile since you played in the micros, but what would be your best advice for playing there (excluding the suggestion to not do it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )?

LC
Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 PM

ctrl-p

Thank man! I'll check my PAHUD settings whenever I'm home next (could be a day or two). I'll be watching for your Pooh-Bah.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Renton,

Thanks for doing this. It's been really interesting reading the questions and responses.

I know it's been awhile since you played in the micros, but what would be your best advice for playing there (excluding the suggestion to not do it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )?

LC

[/ QUOTE ]

Valuebet. If you are playing micros and NOT occasionally betting 3 streets and getting called down by the best hand, then probably you aren't valuebetting thinly enough against these donks.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 PM

im in a badstreak right now so i have a simple question

nl200 full stack ( villain is 14 10 over 500 hands )

i raise utg with KK to 8 and get 1 call
flop 7 5 2 rainbow ( pot 20 )

i bet 16 and get raised to 50

what is my line
Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im in a badstreak right now so i have a simple question

nl200 full stack ( villain is 14 10 over 500 hands )

i raise utg with KK to 8 and get 1 call
flop 7 5 2 rainbow ( pot 20 )

i bet 16 and get raised to 50

what is my line

[/ QUOTE ]

probably fold. I kinda need more reads than 14/10, and i also need to know how you play.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 PM

rent, i don't know if you can really answer this as i don't know your style, but lets say that you're new to a site and are playing a 20/15 style. you obviously run over mad chumps for a while but then some of the nits start adjusting by floating a ton. what's your plan to counteract. c/r as OR? c/c with any remote showdown value over multiple streets. double barrel insanely frequently? any advice on the matter would be appreciated.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rent, i don't know if you can really answer this as i don't know your style, but lets say that you're new to a site and are playing a 20/15 style. you obviously run over mad chumps for a while but then some of the nits start adjusting by floating a ton. what's your plan to counteract. c/r as OR? c/c with any remote showdown value over multiple streets. double barrel insanely frequently? any advice on the matter would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you feel like they are floating you, then check raise the turn as a bluff in spots where they would always raise the flop with a big hand. i.e. raise pre with XX, he calls, flop is J56ss you bet he calls, you can check raise bluff him on a blank turn here. Or you can autodoublebarrel him in spots where you raise in ep and he calls a bet on a 7xx flop. Its very easy to represent JJ+ here and he really can't stand another bet.