Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Arizona State Poker Championship - Satellites are running

Just a note to say that Dave told me they're having a breakfast buffet starting at 6:30 am. That is very dangerous information for a person like me. And if they have bagels & lox they'll be in the hole even more than they thought they'd be. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2007, 12:58 PM

I've been rethinking the EV of this tournament. Given that you have to make it to 10th place to make more than $1500, how can selling your seat for $1500 not be the better option? Even if you think your expectation is over $2k, you are avoiding the time expenditure of two days to just see if you get to the final table. My expectation for spending two full days at the 5-150 is probably near $500.

Of course I'm still going to play, because it's going to be fun
Old 07-31-2007, 04:27 PM

I just played the morning tournament there. Some of the plays people were making almost made me vomit. Like going all-in for 3x the pot when someone is already all in and no sidepot...oh, and he was on a draw (and not a strong one).

I finished just before the first break, so I didn't cash. I think I might go back again this evening and give it another go.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just played the morning tournament there. Some of the plays people were making almost made me vomit. Like going all-in for 3x the pot when someone is already all in and no sidepot...oh, and he was on a draw (and not a strong one).

[/ QUOTE ]

I will actually defend play like that in the morning tournament. First of all, the chips start so low and the blinds go so fast that there is almost no play. You have to immediately double or triple up or you're worthless. Second, at $60, you're so -EV if you don't get chips right away. It only pays 10 seats and you only make money in the top 4 so it's worthless unless you can get a monster stack early. The am tourney is not a real tourney in that it doesn't play like one should. There are many times I'll go all in with a draw with several others because if I hit I'll triple/quad up, if not I'll happily go back to a real table or just go to work.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:10 PM

Already a craigslist request...

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tix/386271118.html

$1100 is not going to happen though....well maybe
Old 07-31-2007, 06:08 PM

I'm in for $110. I would gladly sell my seat for $1500. Even $1100 is tempting.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I will actually defend play like that in the morning tournament. First of all, the chips start so low and the blinds go so fast that there is almost no play. You have to immediately double or triple up or you're worthless. Second, at $60, you're so -EV if you don't get chips right away. It only pays 10 seats and you only make money in the top 4 so it's worthless unless you can get a monster stack early. The am tourney is not a real tourney in that it doesn't play like one should. There are many times I'll go all in with a draw with several others because if I hit I'll triple/quad up, if not I'll happily go back to a real table or just go to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a terrible play. Isolating against an all-in player with a draw seems like it always awful. For one thing, he doesn't have a hand yet so if I call he's adding extra money into the pot when he has the worst of it. The odds of my folding increase, so he kills any implied odds if he hits the draw. Not only that, but he is protecting a short stack's hand.

In summary, if hits his draw:
Less chance of there being a sidepot since he bet me out
he wins main pot which he would win anyway

If he doesn't hit draw:
he risks more chips than if he checked
he loses main pot which he would lose anyway
Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 PM

A friend just told me one of the floor managers is threatening a life-time ban for people who get caught selling their ticket for more than its original value. Anyone else hear that? I guess it eliminates "scalping" a ticket the few days before...or the day of.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:28 PM

i had a couple friends play in the morning tourney today. one finished in 12th, telling me she had a set of kings and a player called all-in with just a gutshot that hit. don't know the actual specifics of the hand but that's a pretty sick way to bubble...
Old 08-01-2007, 12:22 AM

Wow, I went to play the evening tournament, showed up an hour early and it was sold out already. Every cash game had a list a mile long. I might go play tomorrow's instead. I've got to catch up on some homework but I've got the itch.