Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Who is the third best quarterback in the NFL?

the funniest thing about the retarded sports threads like this is that people out themselves as clueless sports fans, and it almost assures theyre horrible at poker as well.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:12 PM

Ahh, there you go. 85/15 is too much. It's a lot closer to 50/50.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Teams in the same division play the same schedule except for 2 games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh rly? That's a pretty big deal when the majority of NFL teams finish with between 6 and 10 wins. 2 games is often times the difference between making the playoffs and having a .500 or worse record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah oh rly. It's a big deal when the 2 game discrep give you 2 extra wins/losses every time, which of course it doesn't. One of the two games is the difference between playing the Chiefs & Raiders. Yawn

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I get that the extra EV is more like 1 win than 2 (which is still significant) but the Bengals have played by far the more difficult half of their schedule and they still get to play St. Louis and Miami whom the Browns have already played. I think the extra EV of the Browns first half schedule is more than 1 game. You're right that the schedule won't give the Bengals a huge edge next year though.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:29 PM

Drew Brees

In Roethlisberger's 3 best seasons, the Steelers were 32nd in passing attempts... it stands to reason that his efficiency numbers benefit enormously from facing run-oriented defenses and throwing so few attempts reduces his contribution. He has also has a high sack rate.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 PM

Jon Kitna
Old 11-09-2007, 10:37 PM

lol at the OP stating the Bengals record as a knock on Palmer--I guess Palmer has been playing both way this year, I didn't realize this...that D is [censored] terrible.

As for the question Big Ben wasn't who came to mind.

It was Palmer and Romo and I guess I would have to lean toward Palmer but Romo looks like he is going to be Silver Jesus by next year. Obv Brees very close next.

This is w/o looking at numbers or anything and going off the top of my head: Palmer, Romo, then Brees and all real close to each other.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:40 PM

In my mind it has to be Palmer or Brees. An argument for romo is within the realm of rational thought, but saying anyone else is just foolish imo.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ahh, there you go. 85/15 is too much. It's a lot closer to 50/50.

[/ QUOTE ]
An example of this principle, courtesy of PFP 2007. Last year, the Dallas Cowboys started the same five offensive lineman for all 16 games. Drew Bledsoe was sacked once ever 11.6 dropbacks (attempts + sacks), while Tony Romo, behind the same exact line, was sacked just once every 17 dropbacks. The league-wide average was one sack per 15.1 dropbacks. So, did the Cowboys O-line go from attrocious to somewhat above average halfway through the season, or did the team just insert a QB who was much less prone to being sacked?

Note that Bledsoe had a similar sack rate at Buffalo (11.9 att/sack), as well as at New England during his final three years (11.8 att/sack), which is roughly when he turned into The Human Monolith.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 PM

Carson Palmer. Though there are a lot of players who are close (Roethsliberger, Brees, Bulger etc).

I can't believe Vick is even in this discussion. He may be the most overrated QB in history and rivals Ryan Leaf as one of the biggest NFL draft busts of all-time. Remember, Vick was supposed to create a dynasty in Atlanta, win multiple Super Bowls, was supposed to be a total lock for the Hall of Fame and also one of the greatest QBs of all time.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:18 PM

Disclaimer: Slightly homer pick and I'm not analyzing stats.

I think Favre is the "best" QB after Manning and Brady, but if I had to pick a guy to start a new franchise, I would pick Palmer.

After Palmer, it's close (and Palmer isn't a gimme, either). I think I'd go Romo, Brees, Big Ben, but I could change my mind tomorrow.

There are lot more good young QB's in the NFL than I realized.