Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: aba is my king
yers 59 60.20%
BASTARD 39 39.80%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

Just listened to the new Hella album, There's no 666 in Outer Space. They added a permanent bassist and vocalist to the previous two man lineup of Spencer Seim and Zach Hill. It makes the album a little more accessible than the old stuff. Hill's drummins is extraordinary as ever. Good listen first time through.

If you're into this kind of music, definitely check it out.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:59 PM

Saosin finally put out a full length CD towards the end of last year, granted with a different singer than the first time we talked about them. It's pretty good.

Circa Survive, the band with the original Saosin singer, is pretty much perfect.

EDIT: These are not really "indie lovefest" bands. They are a little heavier and screamier. In fact, most probably won't like Circa Survive, but give Act Appalled, The Great Golden Baby, and Stop the [censored] Car a shot to see. They're kinda Mars Volta-esque.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:10 PM

Voxtrot - Up an coming Indie Pop band who haven't put out an LP yet but have 3 good EPs out so far:
Raised by Wolves
Biggest Fan
Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives

I'm sure most people have heard plenty about Califone by now (they have like 8 or 9 full length albums now) but I haven't seen them discussed much and just wanted to point out that their most recent album really is fantastic:

Califone - Roots and Crowns

My favorite music review site (CMG) rated it the 3rd best album of 2006 and tried to explain it in one sentence:

[ QUOTE ]
combining the most adventurous experimental impulses with sheer pop accessibility, pinging everything from postpunk to modern electronica to some unknown ‘50s musician trying out their amp in different corners of the room just to judge the resonance.

[/ QUOTE ]

And finally, for those who really liked The Format, here is an older CD (2005) with a similar melodic/rock feel that I've pretty much never heard talked about anywhere (which I suppose could be a bad thing?).

Let Go - Let Go

Anyway, you can stream it all here.

A good starting place would be "No Drugs, No Alcohol"
Old 02-12-2007, 08:40 PM

That is a picture. What is the stream url?

FYC
Old 02-12-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also for a while i got into that sort of shoegaze/noise/low-fi sort of stuff. ive hit up most of the notable names, wondering what else is out there

Mogwai
M83
A Silver Mt. Zion
Godspeed! You Black Emperor
My Bloody Valentine

etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

A really good band that is close to the bands you listed is Múm which is an Icelandic band great electronic beats and some quirky instrumentation. I think of it as like M83, but lighter. M83 is very dark when it comes to this type of music, and I feel like Mum are the exact opposite. Another MySpace page...I would suggest listening to the 3rd song...it might come on right when you go to the page.

The Album Leaf is another band that sounds like something you might be interested in. I don't know much about it, but I guess it's the side project of somebody who plays in a post-rock band. It's a solo side project but it doesn't sound sparse by any means. The newest album Into the Blue Again is very, very good and I actually saw one of the singles on an latin MTV channel when I was in the Caribbean, so maybe they'll blow up soon (although I still doubt it). Here's the video for Always for You.

Finally, I would recommend Jesu for another band. It's a little less light than either of the above bands, but the guitar work is really amazing. I really like the Silver EP, although it's over 20 minutes long, so it's good value if you're buying it. Here's a link to their MySpace where you can listen to Star, one of the songs off of Silver. They have a new album named Conquerer that is supposedly good.

Linky
Old 02-13-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is a picture. What is the stream url?

FYC

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, here...
Old 02-13-2007, 07:01 PM

I've been getting into Indie music a little bit recently, and there are a couple of new albums no one on here seems to be talking much about.

The first is The Good The Bad and The Queen whose self-titled debut album was released on January 23rd.

Although technically a "supergroup" the sound is very Indie so I think it fits in well with this thread. The group is composed of lead singer Dave Albarn (You might recognize him from one of his two other bands Blur and the Gorillaz), Clash bassist Paul Simonon, former Verve guitarist Simon Tong and Afrobeat pioneer and Africa 70 drummer Tony Allen. The album is produced by Danger Mouse, which I'm sure many of you have heard of due to the enormous success of his bootleg "Grey Album", as well as his work in the group Gnarls Barkley.

The album is getting pretty decent reviews from critics and effecitvely mixes electronic beats and sounds with traditional instruments. The general tone is somewhat dark and very melodic.

If you like the sound of the Gorillaz, this is probably an album worth checking out.

-----------------------------

The Arcade Fire

This Montreal groups second full album, "Neon Bible" is slated to be released on March 5th 2007, although it has leaked online.

The lead singer has a very David "Bowiesque" voice and has even performed live with him at the Fashion Awards. Video of this awesome performance can be found on YouTube here.

The album is very musical and uplifting. I can't really compare it to any other famous bands but if you are into complicated instrumentation you'll probably dig this album.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:50 PM

Can we still call Arcade Fire indie?

No one has mentioned them because they are probably one of the top 5 hottest bands in the country now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Well it does say general music discussion thread. I kinda thought the (aka indie lovefest) was more of a warning then a request...
Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well it does say general music discussion thread. I kinda thought the (aka indie lovefest) was more of a warning then a request...

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly.

Has anyone checked out the new Deerhoof? It's getting very solid reviews, but after one listen I just thought it was kinda annoying.

Am I a dumb philistine with no taste, or will this album grow on me, or does it just suck?
Closed Thread