Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: More on being lazy and smart and being a fair but not extreme success

1) Lots of different perspectives, guaranteed practical insight from other smart folks, a place to steam, a place to feel valuable and used (this one, IMO, is what will make you happy). There aren’t too many easily-accessible venues where these things can be found/utilized – and us lazy people have trouble finding the motivation to get up and look for them. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Video games & poker are the easy paths to feeling valuable – too bad they don’t help anyone else allll that much. I get the notion that lots of the young ones here (like myself) use 2+2 in an effort to step up and find something a level-up from video games and poker – find inspiration and ultimately find a novel (novel for the individual, that is) outlet for talent to be spent – without the years and years of structured training in academia.

-> Put differently: one thing we all share in common is the ability to quickly - spontaneously even – construct strategies and efficient ways to employ these strategies. What’s more is we all have the ability to be self-critical and rework, rebuild these strategies: we can all adapt on the drop of a dime (or at least the good poker players can) – these are huge asset missing even amongst the other top x% of the smarty population. We can push and get pushed without trouble - create and destroy.

The trouble is thus: we’ve recognized our talent. Tested it numerous times, it’s there to some degree. Intelligent, capable of controlling emotions, highly adaptable, self-critical, keenly observant: OKAY, now what? Spend x more years in school and other activities building credibility?

Where’s the best place for people with these qualities to feel used?
How can mankind benefit from these individuals the most? (I feel like that’s what’ll bring the most happiness – feeling as though we’ve helped mankind.)

We look around at our classmates and laugh, because even though we’ve accomplished nothing on paper, nothing accredited and valuable for society – we’ve proved ourselves TO OURSELVES. Poker makes individuals suffer to some extent. We’ve been there, stuck it out on the line, bit the bullet. The highs the lows. Now we’re ready to be pushed again, challenged - we want to OVERCOME things: we don't want to sit in a confined, structured setting and regurgitate. I truly feel like the majority of 2+2er’s are now searching for something new to overcome.

/rant – dunno if I’m alone here or not, so I'll shuddap [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

2) The cycle’s going to be tough to break. I think we’re all looking for a way to positively expend effort – and I, for one, don’t have any credibility to do so. And I feel like most of the people WITH credibility in today’s society are not likely to pick up some poker-playing youngsters for fear that we’re out to make money/manipulate/other badness.

Academia builds robots. We’re a different breed IMO, and I feel as though there’s GOT to be a use for characters like us. FWIW – I’m not against education, I see the value in understanding and finding truth. I’d also like to get out there and produce something great, though – especially while I’m still young and crafty.

3) Searching for an outlet to verily feel valuable and used.

5) If I could begin working immediately, I would. I don’t feel like cowardice is something most of us share (though is may seem that way.) I think the only thing we’re afraid of is being confined to particular paths while we KNOW there exist more valuable ways to spend out time – though few of us will reach there. I think that poker helps overcome cowardice in a lot of ways - though is probably creates a couple of fears re: being judged, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
My fear of finding out how good I really am seems tougher than these to crack.

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt you REALLY care how “good” you are compared to others and you’re more worried that you won’t find that thing which (a) makes you feel used and (b) actually helps other people.

Good post, btw, Jared - thanks for sharing. Probably encapsulates the vast majority of 2+2er's.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: More on being lazy and smart and being a fair but not extreme succ

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limon - yo I got mad game! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My actual answer would prolly be start a company and get it public, acquired (some reasonable exit that indicated a measure of overall industry success). Or write a book and publish it (something non-fiction).

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant put my actual answer because my wife lurks around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - Limon for mod / gets his own forum too.

-Al
Old 02-10-2007, 10:26 AM

Unlike the Anacardo thread, you don't seem to have mental health issues; except for your two phobias. Regarding which, you can get help for phobias through desensitization therapy. So, since you are not depressed and suicidal, I feel comfortable writing the following:

Your post seems to show that you are lazy, spoiled, chicken-[censored] and less intelligent than you think you are.

Since history is a predictor of future performance, you will likely spend the rest of your days underachieving your way into a life of dreary mediocrity.

The reason you have never "gotten a huge failure" is because you have never put yourself in a position to fail. You have never challenged yourself to a degree that could result in failure. That alone should be a huge red flag for you. What successful person do you know, has not only failed, but, failed on a huge scale?

Nor has life dealt you any challenges. Sounds like you lived off mom & dad through college and now you have your wife working her ass off while you muddle your way through grad school jacking-off and getting fat.

Your situation is not that deep, nor is it unique. If you have the wherewithal to write your op, get off your ass and do something challenging. If you're afraid of dogs, buy a friggin puppy and volunteer at an animal shelter.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:01 AM

As Chief of the Army High Command, Hammerstein-Equord oversaw the composition of the German manual on military unit command (Truppenführung), dated 17 October 1933. He originated a special classification scheme for his officers:

I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!

Wiki
Old 02-11-2007, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unlike the Anacardo thread, you don't seem to have mental health issues; except for your two phobias. Regarding which, you can get help for phobias through desensitization therapy. So, since you are not depressed and suicidal, I feel comfortable writing the following:

Your post seems to show that you are lazy, spoiled, chicken-[censored] and less intelligent than you think you are.

The reason you have never "gotten a huge failure" is because you have never put yourself in a position to fail. You have never challenged yourself to a degree that could result in failure. That alone should be a huge red flag for you. What successful person do you know, has not only failed, but, failed on a huge scale?

Nor has life dealt you any challenges. Sounds like you lived off mom & dad through college and now you have your wife working her ass off while you muddle your way through grad school jacking-off and getting fat.

Your situation is not that deep, nor is it unique. If you have the wherewithal to write your op, get off your ass and do something challenging. If you're afraid of dogs, buy a friggin puppy and volunteer at an animal shelter.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the one of the worst posts I've ever read. You're like the high school football coach that foams at the mouth while he yells.

Desensitization therapy, you sure about that one? What specifically is desensitization therapy? Is that the one where you don't actually feel anything for the rest of your life. Is that how you feel?

"Nor has life dealt you any challenges."

Wtf, tempering something you've grown accustomed/addicted to (food for op) is a challenge that when referred to in a broad sense of overindulgence, is a widespread problem belonging to many forms in our country as well as around the world. OP's problem is a basic human problem which he is dealing in his own deeply unique situation.

[ QUOTE ]
Your situation is not that deep, nor is it unique.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumbing down the root of human 'suffering' because its' subtleties are not easily defineable is poop. I know what you're doing, but why are you being so reckless.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:37 AM

Desensitization of phobias is a common treatment. For example, if you suffer from undue anxiety when traveling, you would be tasked with making small trips from your home. After you grew comfortable with that, the length of the trip would increase.

I am not sure why you think that you would not feel anything for the rest of your life. My understanding is that the treatments have good success rates and only require that the person with the phobia get off their ass and do the work.

Regarding OP's food addiction: He did not write that he was addicted to food. He wrote that he had bad eating habits and was fat. Which I agree with you is an epidemic in the US. There are a lot of fat ass people in this country who have horrible eating habits. At 6' 220 lb.s I am, officially, one of them. So to change this, I have to limit my caloric intake and exercise. Oh "the horror, the horror".

Regarding my "dumbing down" of human suffering:

To use the phrase "human suffering" in the context of the OP's self-described situation of being smart, lazy, fat and underachieving is laughable. OP is not writing about tragedy, depression, suicide, death, war, famine, disease or anything remotely approaching human suffering.

He is writing about eating too many ding dongs and living below his full potential. I will grant you that, unchecked and fifteen years from now, the consequences of his choice to live a life of mediocrity will very likely result in a boring, tragic, little mid-life crisis where he buys a car he can't afford or gets caught trying to bang the teenage baby-sitter. But, to lump his situation into the league of human suffering is ridiculous.

As far as my reply to the OP, I don't believe that it was reckless in any way. If I thought that there were mental health issues at play or if I thought that the OP was in great pain and suffering, I would have radically altered my approach. But, since that is not the case and since so many respondents wrote sympathetic and empathetic replies that, IMO, were a bunch of weak-kneed, politically correct statements of zero value, I chose to respond honestly and forthrightly.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As Chief of the Army High Command, Hammerstein-Equord oversaw the composition of the German manual on military unit command (Truppenführung), dated 17 October 1933. He originated a special classification scheme for his officers:

I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!

Wiki

[/ QUOTE ]

This is comforting.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 AM

I think the main problem many of us "Lazy/Smart" types face is that we feel that a task is not worth the time and effort because it is "not for me". What I mean is, we think we are put on this earth with some special purpose or crusade. When we have to do something that everyone else is doing, we lose interest/motivation because it seems like "it doesn't matter if I complete this task or not because I'm capable of better/greater things". We hate to be just a cog or gear in a giant machine, we want to be the revolutionaries/trailblazers. The problem is we never find our special purpose, and we wind up accomplishing little. When we hear successful people tell their story it always seems like they just "stumbled" upon their little niche, and they were suddenly happy and were freed from their drab lifestyles. We hope to one day stumble upon our own niche, and discover some rare little talent that will save the earth from destruction. Then we are awakened from our little daydream and hit with the cold hard realities of life and overcome with dread. As sad as it is to think this, I don't think those talents, or "superpowers" are going to be there to bail me out.

I hate to quote Yoda here but I think he sums it up beautifully.

"This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless."
Old 02-15-2007, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wiki

[/ QUOTE ]

This is comforting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Downright wonderful. Fit me out for a lieutenant-generalcy please. I do have the temperament and nerves to handle any situation, now that you mention it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Sadly, the stupid and industrious are pretty much in charge of everything.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:57 PM

NY Article

I found this article extremely interesting and relevant to the discussion here. Another reinforcement of how being smart alone just doesn't cut it without some effort. Of course, I found it while surfing the web and procrastinating.